Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 New Firmware 1.0.6.28 released

Millstone
Guide

@Killhippie wrote:
I would agree, Netgear should stipulate to do a factory reset afterwords, and not to use a backup from a previous firmware as well afterwords. The backup really is pretty useless because of this caveat. I tend to do one before and one after, no scientific wizardry but it seems to work well doing that. Also I cured my wan disconnection issues by puling the power plug for ten minutes from the back of the router. (power wart pulled out of wall first) Its almost like a black magic art keeping this router on the right tracks. The GUI is still appalling with the bloat they are adding though. I dont need Arlo, I would have preferred a AV/URL scanner engine like Asus use tbh.

Perhaps NETGEAR can write the factory reset and restore of settings right into the install script for the firmware. There's no need to complicate it.

Message 201 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

Then people would complain that their settings had been wiped out, you cant win, even if its the right thing to do. If they just post reset manually and add settings manually, and people don't then they have done their job.
Message 202 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

Thing is, what's the point of having a backup/restore option if it's useless when you upgrade your firmware? I don't see the use of restoring a backup when the router is working well once all the configuration is done...

Message 203 of 321
TheEther
Guru

It looks like Netgear has pulled 1.0.6.28 and 1.0.5.48 because they are gone from the support website.

Message 204 of 321
Vimes
Star

Would have been nice if they had noted why these two firmwares had been pulled though and offer advice, if any, for those using them.

Message 205 of 321
netwrks
Master

They were pulled becuase they were screwing the routers that were updated with the new firmware. Roll back to the previous firmware you were using and then reset to factory default and reconfig your router.

Message 206 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

I'm not having any issues so Im going to contunue where I am till the next one is releasd or netgear actually says something. Going back means the print vulnerabilty is not fixed which is insane. What the hell are they doing. <sigh>

Message 207 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

I would say if you are not having issues stick with what you have until Netgear offer up a new firmware. Or let us know what to do. I for one dont want to go back to a firmware that leaves a security vulnerability in my router thats for sure. I really cant see my next router being a netgear.

Message 208 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

Print vulnerabilty ? What vulnerabilty ? I missed something?

Message 209 of 321
shamarin
Virtuoso

I didn't have any issues too till first beta. Everything works well.

Message 210 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

This was fixed in the 1.0.5.48 Firmware http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28393/~/netgear-product-vulnerability-advisory%3A-read...

So now this is again expoosed by downgrading <rolls eyes>

Message 211 of 321
Steveochi
Aspirant

Hi,

Really annoyed that this driver isn't up, just bought a Arlo camera and now nothing to connect it with. Can anyone email me the firmware. I dont use all the fancy settings on my router so dont think port forwarding issues will bug me. email steveo_chi@hotmail.com

Thanks

Steve

Message 212 of 321
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Check your Private messages

Message 213 of 321
Vash
Aspirant

For anyone else that purchased a camera expecting to be able to use Arlo without a standalone Arlo hub, I suggest you contact Netgear Support and reference that you're having issues with Arlo when using the R7000 as a base station pertaining to the now officially unavailable firmware. You will be taken care of particularly if you now have standalone cameras and no available standalone base station. My current understanding is that they are currently abandoning Arlo functionality in the R7000. They likely didn't do thorough enough testing to try and represent the variety of possible network configurations and clients used from customer to customer. The Arlo functionality appears to cause far more issues and instability than anything else. Plus, I for one am tired of resetting and reconfiguring my router to troubleshoot non-core router functionality. I am, however, happy with the resolution offered by Netgear Support.
Message 214 of 321
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Where did you hear they are abandoning Arlo support? I know they pulled the latest FW version that had it, but only because it caused so many problems. What I do object to is that the Arlo feature was turned on by default, although this itself probably isn't the root of the problems people encountered. I imagine that a very small percentage of the users actually are interested in Arlo support. I think it should have been off by default, but plainly visible in the setup so that anyone who does want that feature can easily turn it on.
Message 215 of 321
glennf14
Tutor

Totally agree, Arlo support should be turned OFF by default. You don't see Access Control, VPN, Parental Controls, etc., ON by default because vanilla configurations should be as simple and barebones as possible. That was a bad decision by Netgear, and probably a decision driven by marketing. That being said, I'm still interested in Arlo support for the R7000. Heck, before they added support in this firmware release, I didn't even know what Arlo was and never considered using Arlo cameras. But now I plan on picking up an Arlo Wire-Free camera b/c it's so convenient; so hopefully they don't remove support. I noticed they've removed the Arlo FAQs for the R7000. I get "access denied" on the Netgear site when trying to access the webpage. I'm definitely bummed about this firmware being so buggy, but I can live with the current workaround. Hopefully in the next week or two they'll have this straightened out and release a stable firmware. Regardless, I know I'll have to do a factory reset and re-apply all my settings just to make sure there's no weird junk left over from this buggy release. *fingers-crossed* they don't take away Arlo support.
Message 216 of 321
blogthis
Star

Well, since Netgear has pulled / deleted / removed all verison of 1.0.5 and 1.0.6 firmware for the Nighthawk R7000 as of today 2/13/16, does this mean the Arlo support is pulled forever - or will it come back?

Message 217 of 321
mondenath
Prodigy

Yeah it true.

It seems the port forwarding works falling back from  6.28 to 5.48. But DLNA is partly mess.Will need to see if removing the drive and replugging will fix the issue . But once shown and streaming its not disconnecting. but the issue could be broadcasting it vi UPNP. if any client searches its shows but its empty when browsed further.

Message 218 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

Who knows, it would be nice if they had left on here a way to get 1.0.6.28 to try as many also had zero issues with that firmware, apart from bad IPV6 support yet again.
Message 219 of 321
Hot54321
Apprentice

None of the devp are responding...

I use the Merlin asus firmware on my netgear R7000. Really a stable firmware. Get's more download then on the orginal firmware.

For me the last time i get Netgear router, this also for my friends.
Message 220 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

So can anyone give us a date when the new firmware will be out? Also more information from netgear would have been great and less hysteria on the forum. Certain posters were telling everyone to downgrade to 1.0.4.30 which is fine as long as you dont mind a readyshare print vulnerabilty being on the R7000, its not a huge bug, but its still far from ideal to have any vulnerabilty as part the default firmware you can downgrade to. Netgear could have handled all of this in a better way with info on what owners should/should not be doing as regards to 1.0.6.28

I am really disappointed in this whole debarkle, from forum misinformation, with no devs stepping in with help and advice, to Netgear saying nothing publically about removing the latest updates, or when a new one will be released. A total mess from begining to end. Oh and maybe just maybe Netgear after 4 years at least with various other routers having the same issues with IPV6 they could get that working. The DGND3700v2 had messed up IPV6 back in 2012. At least other manufactures and third party firmware makers seem capable of decent IPV6 support, so why can't Netgear sort this out.

Message 221 of 321
Jsharpe96
Initiate

I bought the r7000 last night and didn't see any of this thread before now.  When I didn't see the arlo option I called in.  It took 45 minutes and 2 differnt people before I was told they pulled it.  The agent is going to call me back tomorrow with a status.  When I find out more I will post.

Message 222 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

Don't hold your breath for that call.
Message 223 of 321
01R
Luminary
Luminary

i myself desided to take my r7000 into the woods n shoot it with my shotgun and bury it  cuz put it out of its misery

Message 224 of 321
JayBee7
Aspirant

Hi All,

My router is running 1.0.6.28 and since last night I cannot get an external IP and therefor no Internet... Don't know if it's related but the router is basically useless.

Any ideas? Is it worth flashing back an older firmware? - 1.0.4.30? 

The steps to downgrade FW as I understand are:

Power on the Router
Wait several seconds
Hold down Reset for approx 5 
Connect to 192.168.1.1
Flash Firmware 1.0.4.30
The Router will reboot
Wait until Router has completed initialising
Hold down Reset for another 5 seconds approx.

manually re-enter settings.

Is that all?

If I can fix this without flashing an older firmware I would prefer too, but not sure how as even entering a static ISP IP Address doesn't work. (I have Fibre)

Thanks.

Message 225 of 321
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7