R7000 New User Questions

L4D44
Aspirant

R7000 New User Questions

Just bit the bullet on the R7000 router. After previous "bad experiences" w/ Netgear routers and promising that I would never use one again - I decided to give them yet another chance after reading some great reviews about this model.

Couple of questions though:

1) Is there a way to change the bandwidth on the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz frequency? Couldn't find this option anywhere - even in the advanced settings.

2) is it recommended to enable QoS (prioritization) or leave it off?
Message 1 of 29
Lexist2112
Luminary

Re: R7000 New User Questions

L4D44 wrote:
1) Is there a way to change the bandwidth on the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz frequency? Couldn't find this option anywhere - even in the advanced settings.
If your referring to channels, then yes there located in the drop down scroll in both the 2.4 & 5ghz config page
L4D44 wrote:
2) is it recommended to enable QoS (prioritization) or leave it off?
Believe it or not, I had enabled WMM on both the 2.4 & 5ghz and enabled Qos on the up and downstream. Noticed that on certain web pages such as Best buy looking over their weekly ads it took awhile to load the pictures. Streaming websites were stuttering and poor over the WIFI, a bit better over wired. I ended up disabling WMM and Qos and everything works great Smiley Very Happy You can enable the auto update for the Qos downsteam streaming data update. Iam giving it a month or so before I enable those features, hopefully the database will grow when more users are buying this unit. Dlink has the DGL 5500 with streamboost and auto bandwith estimator. Ultimatley we ended up disabling all the features except for the auto update of stream boost data. You'll see your speeds are much faster including ping time when youdisable those features. You can test it enables and disabled to test it out. But I think you'll find disabling is the way to go for now. If you have Xbox, configure the ALL the ports and you will have OPEN NAT.
Message 2 of 29
L4D44
Aspirant

Lexist2112, thanks for your reply. I was referring to the channel bandwidth (20MHz, 40MHz, 80MHz) for the 5GHz WiFi.

I don't see where you can manually change that setting for either the 2.4GHz WiFi and the 5GHz WiFi.

Both Asus and Linksys allows you to change this. Can it be done on the R7000 as well or does Netgear *not* allow the user to modify this setting?
Message 3 of 29
kwolf
Guide

I'm pretty sure this is accomplished via the "Mode" dropdown on the wireless settings. It has 3 speeds listed - 289mbps (not sure why they didn't just put 300...), 600mbps, and 1300mbps. That pretty much coincides with the speed changes between channel widths. Wireless 2.4 has similar settings that appear to change it between 54mbps G speeds, 300mbps N speeds, and 600mbps N speeds.
Message 4 of 29
Lexist2112
Luminary

L4D44,

I feel your pain. As of know it doesn't aoppear where able to adjust / select for the frequency in the 2.4 or 5ghz.
The ONLY place where your able to enable or disable 20/40 Coexistence is located Advanced Tab>Advance setup>Wireless settings. Once your there you can see the 24/40 Coexisteance.

Of course the next question is if you disable 20/40coexistance then are we to ASSUME it will be set at 20MHZ???? That's the question????? Currently I have it enabled, and have not tried it as DISABLED.

Hope this helpsSmiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 29
Devor
Luminary

Lexist2112, please read this post here.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 6 of 29
L4D44
Aspirant

Lexist2112 wrote:
Of course the next question is if you disable 20/40coexistance then are we to ASSUME it will be set at 20MHZ???? That's the question????? Currently I have it enabled, and have not tried it as DISABLED.

Thanks. Yeah I'm stuck on the 20/40 Coexistance as well. I wish Netgear provided more info on what happens when this setting is disabled. Currently I have it enabled.
Message 7 of 29
Lexist2112
Luminary

L4D44, for now all we can do is wait for Netgear to release NEWER FW that will hopefully have all those extra functions, in addition to any bug fixes.
I had suggested that perhaps a moderator that has Netgear relationship could document all the bugs and fixes that come up and forward the list to Netgear for approval and evetually push the new FW to us. I know Dlink moderators have done this for all there routers and the support has been great, and the DLink techs read our blogs and confirm it before pushing the new FW out to us.

It would only strengthen the R7000 and make it that much better, and the community involvement/interest would make this router even more visible to the masses .
Message 8 of 29
mtmte
Tutor

Lexist2112 wrote:

It would only strengthen the R7000 and make it that much better, and the community involvement/interest would make this router even more visible to the masses .

I'm with you on that. Asus's craptastic support community is one of the reasons I'm now buying Netgear products again.
Message 9 of 29
Joe_
Apprentice

I wouldn't look forward to that kind of involvement. Netgear has always taken a hands-off approach as regards peer-to-peer interaction on these forums. It has its pros and cons, and I don't think it'll change.
Message 10 of 29
dpeagle
Aspirant

L4D44 wrote:
it is my understanding that with beamforming and specifically netgears "smart connect", connection and bandwidth are optimized automatically.
Message 11 of 29
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Keep in mind that you need to have a beamforming client as well as router to get this functionality:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23503/~/beamforming%2B-faqs
Message 12 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

A 5G Ac client is required for BF to work and from what understand the 2nd version of BF will be a client that sends a small data packet back to the AC router allowing the router to make more precise changes to the BF ing which could improve receive level of 3db at client.

But hey I could be wrong.
Message 13 of 29
kwolf
Guide

Disabling 20/40MHz coexistence makes it so your wireless N is set to 40MHz regardless of neighboring networks being interfered with.
Message 14 of 29
L4D44
Aspirant

Thanks for the info kwolf. For better wireless N performance (faster speed but not necessarily range)...is it recommended to keep this enabled (default) or to disable it?
Message 15 of 29
Devor
Luminary

L4D44, please read this here regarding needless quoting.

Whether there is any difference depends on your area and how crowded. Use inSSIDer to evaluate neighboring contention.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 16 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Unless you're transferring large files across your wireless to another device on your home WLAN you will likely never see a useable difference between 20 or 40mhz. I'm surprised that this is even being discussed seeing how it's a step backwards. The 7000 is tailored to AC 5g user is it not?

The exception would be if you run speed-test all day as your primary activity if you subscribe to over 50 Mbps download package.

Using 40mhz (2.4) in a congested area could actually degrade your WLAN throughput. Throughput not connection speed is what defines a good network.

The coexistence option was added to stop all the whining by people who did not or could not understand something called the "Good Neighbor Policy" the 20 40 option was controlled automatically by FW which in many cases never allowed 40mhz, but other manufactures had a option to override it.
Message 17 of 29
Jim769
Luminary

@Lexist2112 Why would you want to disable WMM on the 7000 you just took an expensive AC router and turned it into a old G radio router. You must have WMM enabled to get N and AC with out wmm your router is a G only on the 2.4 Ghz band and a A only on the 5Ghz band.
Message 18 of 29
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Jim769 wrote:
@Lexist2112 Why would you want to disable WMM on the 7000 you just took an expensive AC router and turned it into a old G radio router.

Yes, disabling QOS is plenty. I'm guessing that he's re-enabled WMM by now.
Message 19 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

After reading the part about disabling WMM I did on a R6300v2 being used as a router. When comparing via INSSIDER nothing change on either Band in fact both carriers mirrored the other R6300v2 in AP mode. Other than different channels the rate caps on both were identical 216 on 2.4 and 450 on 5g. I didn't reboot which could be why but, this description was taken from router's help pull down. Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) Settings WMM (Wireless Multimedia) is a subset of the 802.11e standard. WMM allows wireless traffic to have a range of priorities, depending on the kind of data. Time-dependent information, like video or audio, has a higher priority than normal traffic. For WMM to function correctly, wireless clients must also support WMM I know in older routers like the 3700 it did make a difference I'm not so sure it does now.
Message 20 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

After further testing I was shocked :eek:to see how the WMM destroys the routers performance when disabled. It not only does revert to G it even trashes the wired connections to most sites, some load instantly and others take minutes. A wired Comcast speed test site took about a minute to load, yet the speed test results were normal. Gave up waiting on wireless to load site. Oh! Forget about SSIDER, what a waste it reports no changes to either band, but windows does show a g rate at 54 which was 866.7 before disabling WMM.

This was tested on 6300v2
Message 21 of 29
Jim769
Luminary

I know its hard to get people to understand that disabling WMM is never a good idea. Some people report performance goes up when its disabled if thats the case then they have some other issue going on not to mention it takes a top of the line router and reverts it back to old cheap router. :eek:
Message 22 of 29
Blanker
Aspirant

Hey guys i just got the nighthawk. Been spending some time trying to learn all about it. My networking skills are probably not as good as most on here.

Anyway, i was on the wdtv streaming media player forums and i mentioned that the link speed to the wdtv smp was 117mbps. The smp is connected wirelessly. A person on the forum said that speed was low and i should be getting better than that. What do you guys think?

He also mentioned he guesses that i might be using 20mhz and not 40.
Message 23 of 29
Blanker
Aspirant

So I disabled the "Coexist" setting, and had inSSIDer running at the same time. All the sudden it changed the Max rate from 200 to 450. And now I have 6+2 channels. I only notice 1 other user who appears now and again, but he is on channel 11.

I also checked my link rate to my WDTV smp and now it's reading 243mbps.

Just trying to understand all this. I posted a picture here

I also noticed that my connection to my Teamviewer got really laggy. Hmmmm. I'm currently on a pc with a wireless N usb adapter.
Message 24 of 29
Blanker
Aspirant

Anyone? Do these settings look alright?
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements