Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Nighawk Internet speed limited

annistyt
Aspirant

R7000 Nighawk Internet speed limited

So I connected my ethernet cable to my pc and I checked on speedtest to verify and test the internet speed. We have fiber and our download/upload speed is 500/50 mbps. When I tested on speedtest I only got 300/50 mbps. 

I even tried testing on other computers and cables. I know 300 mbps is enough, but we pay for 500 mbps and I wonder why I won't get that speed when using a cable.

The router is updated to the newest version: V1.0.9.18_1.2.27

For some months ago when we first got fiber and purchased the router I got 500/50 with a cable connected to the router on my laptop. But now it's limited at 300/50.

I know it's a **bleep**ty written article but I'm not really good at it.

Thanks!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions

Things that people have tried to fix the "router is throttling my modem" issue with various devices:

• Ensure that the cable from the router to the modem is up to the job
  • Check that you have the latest firmware (and "factory reset" the device)
  • Check that you have the right internet settings for your ISP (especially MTU)
  • Turn off QoS
  • Turn off the Traffic Meter

Netgear also advises that you should turn off QoS if you are on Gigabit Internet. You don't need it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13

All Replies

Things that people have tried to fix the "router is throttling my modem" issue with various devices:

• Ensure that the cable from the router to the modem is up to the job
  • Check that you have the latest firmware (and "factory reset" the device)
  • Check that you have the right internet settings for your ISP (especially MTU)
  • Turn off QoS
  • Turn off the Traffic Meter

Netgear also advises that you should turn off QoS if you are on Gigabit Internet. You don't need it.

Message 2 of 13
juched
Apprentice

Also, do you have Circle enabled. That feature causes slowdown and dropped internet connections.
Message 3 of 13
annistyt
Aspirant

I don't have circle enabled

Message 4 of 13
annistyt
Aspirant

I did a factory reset and I got 500/50 on speedtest, thank you

Message 5 of 13

@annistyt wrote:

I did a factory reset and I got 500/50 on speedtest, thank you

And yet there are still people who see no point in a factory reset. It doesn't always help, but it seems silly to not even try it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Message 6 of 13
MichaelFL
Apprentice

I actually created a post today. I found that the issue was / is Access Control. It was NOT a problem for years. But now it is. If I disable it, my internet speeds are back to 1gig support (900+Mbps) both directions. When I enable it it drops and stays at 200Mbps both directions.

Easy to repro. It repro's on the current, previous and current / beta versions of the firmware.

Yeap I did factory resets, reboots, wiped everything. Initially it worked. I thought great. Then I re-enabled Access Control and my speeds dropped.. Disable it, it fixes it and so on...

Message 7 of 13

@MichaelFL wrote:

I actually created a post today. I found that the issue was / is Access Control.

Arrrrgggh. Yet another wrinkle to add to the list of likely candidates.

Out if interest, as you have Gb internet, did you try disabling QoS before you played around with access control?

Netgear has taken to advising people on Gb to turn off QoS on the grounds that it isn't necessary at that speed.

Message 8 of 13
MichaelFL
Apprentice

I don't use QoS (ever). Hasn't even ever been turned on on mine so don't think that has anything to do with mine.

Access Control has always been on and I am 10000000% certain it wasnt an issue beyond say 1.5 months back, because I test my connection to ATT (as I have the actual fiber transeiver in my house due to issues). And I was traveling for a month. Got back and it was not working. At first I figured it was ATT but nope. Definitely not them

Message 9 of 13
MichaelFL
Apprentice

I have actually had this for several years now. I had DAIS (which is a private company from CISCO) that offered 1.5 GIG in our previous home (new construction area). And It worked great there as well.

Moved here and had 250/20 and it was fine (comcast). Then switched to ATT and it was fine, up until end of last year. Only chance at all, was the firmware. Literally no other changes.

Never QoS

Access Control

No Guest WiFi

Static IP or DHCP from ATT (I've had both)

Local Network

NO DHCP as my server does that

All devices blocked unless I add them

1 WAN port and 2 LAN ports used (had 4 at one point, no issues)

MTU not a problem

Turned off WIFI (as a test, but speeds didn't improve)

Enabled DHCP for kicks (no help)

Just Access Control... nothing else made it stop. and not its fine. I just have a password on my network and thats it, which sucks as.. well its a long story but thats not good enough

So I ordered a new router to replace this one. Its just not secure enough as is

Message 10 of 13
avtella
Prodigy

Regardless of company Netgear, Asus, etc, Broadcom chipset based routers use pseudo NAT acceleration which is disabled when QoS or Traffic Stats are enabled and this causes a huge throughout hit, which is why the advice to disable those.
Message 11 of 13
MichaelFL
Apprentice

Yeap I wouldn't use QoS intentionally on a bet

Message 12 of 13
tlmassey
Apprentice

@Case850 wrote:

@avtella wrote:
Regardless of company Netgear, Asus, etc, Broadcom chipset based routers use pseudo NAT acceleration which is disabled when QoS or Traffic Stats are enabled and this causes a huge throughout hit, which is why the advice to disable those.

What is the soluton for those that need QoS?

This hit likely isn't noticeable if you only have a few megabits to low tens of megabits per second of bandwidth.  It seems to affect the people who have 300+ Mbps connections, at which point QoS tends to not really be necessary.  If you're moving enough data of different types that you still need QoS for your gigabit connection, then I don't know if there is a good solution.  Business-class routers/chipsets may provide a more robust solution, but that's pure speculation.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7