R7000 Nighhawk keeps resetting every day. So bad.

poliocough
Aspirant

R7000 Nighhawk keeps resetting every day. So bad.

Recently moved. Right after the move, I set up a TP-Link RE650 extender as a router (which isnt even what it's built for) - and that thing had zero problems except range. So I decided to buy a router. I got the Netgear Nighthawk R7000. I then reset the RE650 and made it an extender as its supposed to be. Speed is fine, all my devices talk to each other OK --- except the Nighthawk crashes. About once a day. Some days there's no crash. Some days there's two crashes. 

I tried resetting things. I tried reducing the network speeds on the wireless.

I updated firmware to the latest V1.0.9.34_10.2.36

I then reset again as some posts here suggest.

None of the above works. The thing keeps resetting. I can't use this. I take conference calls from home and I can't afford having the thing reset on me mid-call. 

I then tried the "Online Chat Support". I can't even get the Chat Support to work! When I try to open a Chat Window, it shows this:

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 11.47.20 PM.png

Well.. so far I can say definitively:

1) The TP-Link RE650 (Range Extender) is a lot more reliable than the Nighthawk R7000 router. Even though the RE650 isn't even a proper router! 

2) I don't think I'm buying another Netgear product.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R7000 Nighhawk keeps resetting every day. So bad.

what is the R7000 connected to is it just a modem or does the modem have a router built into it?

DarrenM 

Message 2 of 5
poliocough
Aspirant

Hi, DarrenM

Thanks for responding. Yes it was plugged in to a Comcast Cable Modem (which had a built-in router) but I did set that that modem to work in "Bridge Mode" and verified it wasn't assigning IP addresses. This was one of the things I tried. It also wasn't something I had to do back when I had the TP-Link RE-650 as the router. The RE-650 "just worked" even when the Comcast modem was not in Bridge Mode. 

Since I wrote the post though, I did take the R7000 back to the seller and exchanged it for a Linksys router. 2 days and no resets so far.

Message 3 of 5
myersw
Master

@poliocough wrote:

Since I wrote the post though, I did take the R7000 back to the seller and exchanged it for a Linksys router. 2 days and no resets so far.

I suspect you will be happier with the Linksys. Until Netgear gets their firmware squared away I would not recommend a Netgear router. IMHO Netgear has farmed out or at least moved the firmware development/support to a group who do not have a clue, but they are probably cheaper. Unfortunately it is also causing folks to go else where. They used to be my go to vendor, but after r8000 and r8000p firmware issues plus the r7800 not stable with Netgear firmware, I would be hard pressed to recommend them to anyone. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 5
icatt23
Guide

It's the router disconnecting from the internet randomly.  It's been happening for years with no fix.  Should be recalled.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E