Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Nighthawk - Internetspeed is half what direct connection to modem is

dbavery
Aspirant

R7000 Nighthawk - Internetspeed is half what direct connection to modem is

I have an R7000 Nighthawk router connected to my Arris SB8200 modem from comcast.

When I connect my laptop directly to the modem I was able to get around 700 Mbps down.

When I directly connect my laptop to the night hawk which is directly connected to the modem using the same cables I get around 300 - 350 Mbps down.

I found this article https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Speed-is-less-than-half-compared-to-Ve... that seems to imply that there is some slow connection between the WAN and LAN ports? Is that really true? What is the max speed of LAN -> WAN ports then as obviously this router is advertised as gigabit ports ...

Note: QoS is disable and I recently did a factory reset, though not after I got the bump in my downstream speed.

Questions:

1) Is there really a limitation on throughput between the WAN and LAN ports like th above item suggests?

2) Anything you can suggest to try to speed up the through put to the true 700 + down? (this is my main router)

3) If this device truely does have that limitation, is there another netgear product or something that doesn't have that limitation? What should we look for to avoid this in future router purchases?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
dbavery
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Nighthawk - Internetspeed is half what direct connection to modem is

WEll found the problem myself - I found another post suggesting that traffic meeter may be slowing things down - and sure enough it was. 🙂 Turned off traffic metering and back to 900 Mpbs down. Hopefully this is helpful to someone else.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
dbavery
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Nighthawk - Internetspeed is half what direct connection to modem is

WEll found the problem myself - I found another post suggesting that traffic meeter may be slowing things down - and sure enough it was. 🙂 Turned off traffic metering and back to 900 Mpbs down. Hopefully this is helpful to someone else.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7