Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Nighthawk Locks/Blocks CD/DVD Drive

mzinkan
Aspirant

Hello Again Folks,

Yesterday afternoon, Netgear sent me an email wanting me to to test a new version of Genie.  Upon opening my email today and seeing the notice, I downloaded and installed the updated version and put it to tthe test.

I am happy to report that I did not find any issues with this updated version of the Genie software!!!

I would guess that it will be made available for download soon.

Sincerely.

Mike Zinkan

Message 26 of 36
reedaf4
Aspirant

Mike

What is the version number on this Genie update?

Thanks
reedaf4
Message 27 of 36
mzinkan
Aspirant

Here you go: "2.4.34(2)"

Hope this helps.

Message 28 of 36
reedaf4
Aspirant

Thanks Mike. I checked online today and only available version is still 2.4.28.0. Wished I had access to the newer version to see if my CD drive read issue would go away. reedaf4
Message 29 of 36
reedaf4
Aspirant

Mike

As it turns out, I attempted to install what appeared to be version 2.4.28 from the web site, just to see if the program would allow my CD drive to read properly.  I discovered the actual version of Genie was 2.4.34, but this version still interferes with my CD Drive from reading.  So, unless I can obtain access to the version 2.4.34(2), I can't rectify this long standing issue.

Message 30 of 36
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@reedaf4 I suggest that you contact support. 

Message 31 of 36
reedaf4
Aspirant

it's same issue as mzinkan's.
Message 32 of 36
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Let support know about the issue you're having. 

Message 33 of 36
reedaf4
Aspirant

afraid tech support ran out on my R8500 Nighthawk router already. this issue happened well after my 90 day support period. that's why I was in this forum looking for help. basic problem after a fresh hard drive/OS reinstall and software reinstall on my computer with last software installed being Netgear Genie. when I installed prigram, none of my CD drives could read the discs. if I uninstalled Gebie, the CD drives all read discs properly. this issue repeated itself again as noted above using latest Genie version 2.4.34. no resolution. kind of stuck with no fix.
Message 34 of 36
mzinkan
Aspirant

reedaf4, until the revised version of Genie is made available to the public, may I suggest that you:

1. right-click on the Genie icon in your systray

2. choose Settings

3. uncheck Enable Autostart

4. click Exit

You can then reboot your PC, if desired.

Genie will no longer automatically start, and your CD/DVD drive should work as you would expect it to.

If you need to use Genie for any reason (it's not necessary that it run unti needed), simply open the program from the icon on your desktop. When finished using Genie, simply right-click the icon in your systray and click Exit. Since it is set to not autostart, you should have no problems again.

Best Regards,

Mike

Message 35 of 36
reedaf4
Aspirant

Returned from vacation, and attempted installing Genie once again. Version now shows 2.4.36, but initial install gave me same trouble with reading CDs again. So, I disabled autostart using msconfig and verified the autostart was off with the system tray icon, and for the moment, that DID fix the cd drive reading my discs. Now problem is, I don't know what new version of Genie will fix the issue permanently. but thanks for this temp fix anyways!
Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7