Highlighted
Aspirant

R7000 Nighthawk Wi-Fi bandwidth issue with new TWC high-speed gateways.

I've had this router since it first came out (1-2 years) without any problems connected to a TWC business modem. My Wifi D/L speeds with that modem were at a solid 10Mbps on both bands. Service with this account was only for 10Mbps.

I've recently switched to TWC residential high-speed service (100/10) and since then my Wifi spees are very erratic and usually very low. I've already gone through two different TWC gateway manufacturers (both configured to bridge mode), TWC technical support for both gateways, and eliminated all connected sources (IP cameras, NAS, garage opener, Lenovo notebook, Ooma, AppleTV, iPhones, iPads and switch), except for one hard wired MAC. I've also performed a hard reset to wipe out all existing configurations.

My download speeds at are a solid 117Mbps wired to my MAC. My Wifi upload speeds are fairly solid at 10-11Mbps. My Wifi download speeds range from almost non-existant (0.25) to a 100Mbps. It's almost always on the low end of this spectrum. This is at distance of a few feet, line of sight (no walls). I've attempted to switch to different channels within each band and have tested speeds on multiple wireless devices. No resolution.

Just to verify if it could be something else going wrong other than the Netgear router, I've purchased the cheapest Linksys AC router to compare. Out of the box, the Linksys router has consistently high Wifi speeds. No additional configuration necessary.

Current TWC gateway: ARRIS docsis 3.0

Is there anything on the Netgear router I can change to resolve this issue? It's currently at it's factory state. I would hate to get rid of this router. It was one of the best residential routers when it was purchased and has awesome Wifi range. Would not consider keeping the Linksys router...poor wifi range.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Nighthawk Wi-Fi bandwidth issue with new TWC high-speed gateways.

Forgot to mention...I've also applied the lastest firmware. No results.

Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

Which frequency are you having issues with? 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? I know of a router that has issues on teh 2.4Ghz side and it does exactly what you are describing, but the 5Ghz side doesn't seem to have those issues..

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

Both frequencies are affected. Wished it worked with the 5Ghz. Most of my newer devices are on the 5Ghz.

Thank you

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would reset again by pushing reset until power led flashes and try re-installig latest release 1.0.4.30 If same problem again you might have to replace it.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements