Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Nightnawk | Getting half of my Spectrum subscribed speed when hardwired through router

Demicos
Tutor

R7000 Nightnawk | Getting half of my Spectrum subscribed speed when hardwired through router

Hello everyone,

I have an R7000 Nighthawk. I have the 400Mbps package from Spectrum, and when my desktop computer is hardwired into their Modem (EN2251) I am receiving 450Mbps or higher. The issue is that when I setup my network as ISP>Modem>Router>etc I am receiving around 270Mbps. This is the speed I am receiving when hardwired into the router, not wireless. 

This issue has persisted through updating firmware (currently on the latest (V1.0.11.134_10.2.119), removing QoS & Traffic Meter, enabling IPv6, and removing all port forwarding. I bought a different an Arris  SurfBoard 588200 Modem and had Spectrum enable that device but the connection was so volatile (speeds ranging from 100 to 370Mbps, constantly changing) that I swapped back. 

I'm at the end of my rope. I am unsure what to do next and am requesting assistance. Please someone tell me there is an fix for this nonsense.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 Nightnawk | Getting half of my Spectrum subscribed speed when hardwired through router

did you ever factory reset and test if from the defaults?
problem with having qos/access control/traffic monitoring/parental controls enabled is that they disable cut through forwarding. Its the service needed to hit gigabit speeds. And I've seen it get disabled because those services were on but not get re-enabled when the services were disabled. So try a factory reset. Test it from its default speeds. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

did you ever factory reset and test if from the defaults?
problem with having qos/access control/traffic monitoring/parental controls enabled is that they disable cut through forwarding. Its the service needed to hit gigabit speeds. And I've seen it get disabled because those services were on but not get re-enabled when the services were disabled. So try a factory reset. Test it from its default speeds. 

Message 2 of 11
Demicos
Tutor

@plemans First off - I want to say thank you, as I have seen many of your other posts on other threads with similar issues. I have yet to Factory Reset the device. Would you suggest going back to original / changing firmware prior to Factory Resetting? Please note that I am on the latest Firmware.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

I would try it on the version you're on first. there's been a lot of firmware updates since the version that we (on here) consider the most stable. And for most people, it works fine. 

What actual version number are you on? 

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I loaded v134 the other day and is working so far:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/New-R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-134-Releas...

@Demicos wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have an R7000 Nighthawk. I have the 400Mbps package from Spectrum, and when my desktop computer is hardwired into their Modem (EN2251) I am receiving 450Mbps or higher. The issue is that when I setup my network as ISP>Modem>Router>etc I am receiving around 270Mbps. This is the speed I am receiving when hardwired into the router, not wireless. 

This issue has persisted through updating firmware (currently on the latest (V1.0.11.134_10.2.119), removing QoS & Traffic Meter, enabling IPv6, and removing all port forwarding. I bought a different an Arris  SurfBoard 588200 Modem and had Spectrum enable that device but the connection was so volatile (speeds ranging from 100 to 370Mbps, constantly changing) that I swapped back. 

I'm at the end of my rope. I am unsure what to do next and am requesting assistance. Please someone tell me there is an fix for this nonsense.

Message 5 of 11
Demicos
Tutor

(V1.0.11.134_10.2.119) is what it has at the top right of my Router's webpage

I had ot download that version from Netgear's site as it wouldn't update automatically to it for some reason.

Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

Let us know how the factory reset goes. 

Message 7 of 11
Demicos
Tutor

Factory reset did it. Pretty dumb that Qos & Traffic Meter continue to kneecap your speeds even if they are disabled. 

Appreciate your help @plemans 

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

Glad it worked!

A backup is always a good thing to have for next time 🙂

Message 9 of 11
Kitsap
Master

When you save a configuragion backup, it is also a good idea to annotate in the file name the firmware version installed when the backup was made.  In general it is not good/succesful practice to restore a backup to a different firmware version than was installed when it was saved.

Message 10 of 11
Bill-D
Apprentice

@plemans wrote:

...problem with having qos/access control/traffic monitoring/parental controls enabled is that they disable cut through forwarding. Its the service needed to hit gigabit speeds.... 

I've noticed that even without gigibit speeds (I'm running 100Mbps) allowing cut through forwarding reduces jitter and improves my VOIP quality.  I'm wondering if also turning off WMM (which is a form of QoS) would enable cut through forwarding on wireless traffic and reduce jitter.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7