Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 PS4 Speed/DMZ issues

InTheZoneAC
Aspirant

R7000 PS4 Speed/DMZ issues

So let me start by saying the router is pretty much in a default state, nothing extra enabled to cause any overhead or extra processing. Just today I decided to use Address Reservation for all devices on my network and rename the respective device with it. If I look under DHCP Address Reservation I can see every device is accounted for and has my Device Name accounted for. It's not an issue, I don't think, but if I click Device Name on the left column half the devices don't show a name at all or some show the default name it assigned(My renaming is not being applied here for some reason).

Anyway I'm focused on my PS4 and the inconsistent download speeds I get over ethernet. For whatever reason I will have issues with my potential max download speed on the PS4 dropping after a few days regardless of an automatic or static IP assigned. I'm supposed to see 100Mbps download and typically after a fresh router reboot I'll see 90-99Mbps on the PS4. On a good day without worrying about reboots I'll see a download in the range of 85-90Mbps. But if I run multipe consecutive tests sometimes I'll get a result as low as 50Mbps or 10Mbps which it should never be. I know these tests are "estimates" and not 100% accurate, but that's a pretty big drop between 90 and 10Mbps either way. Also when the PS4 tests for NAT the response isn't immediately Type 2. Sometimes after a reboot, during the speed test the PS4 will test NAT as Type 2 immediately, which is perfect, but sometimes it takes a 3 seconds or so before telling me it's NAT Type 2. To me that's telling me something is hanging up a little and it shouldn't be like that. I'm hoping for consistency. And going back to running consecutive speed tests on the PS4, if I run sometimes 3 or 4 tests I start gettting NAT Type failed or super slow download speeds, but another immediate test will get me normal results. Just now I was getting 85-90Mbps with inconsistencies in immediate and delayed NAT Type 2 responses, then all of a sudden NAT Type response in one test was slow and the speed dropped to 8.8MBps. Several other tests in between fluctuated to 60Mbps.

So my possible solution to fix this was first giving the PS4 a static IP in the DHCP Address Reservation, rebooting the router and PS4 after saving the settings but I get the same results with my download speed/NAT Type response fluctuating. So instead of forwarding ports since that causes extra processing and every game seems like it needs different ports I'm attempting to put the PS4 in a DMZ.

Initially I tried using DMZ on the PS4 address within the DHCP Address Reservation list, rebooted the router and ps4 and I'm getting NAT Type Failed but 88Mbps download every single time. The speed isn't dropping at all which is perfect, but the ports appear to not be open. So then I attempted to delete the DHCP Address for the PS4, manually assign it on the device side to an address outside the DHCP Range, which is 192.168.1.101(I limited DHCP range to 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.100). So my DMZ is also set to 101. Tested PS4 and again NAT Type Failed, but consistently high speeds.

I had to disable DMZ to get the PS4 back to a NAT Type 2, but I'm back to square one with NAT Type responses being sometimes slow and sometimes failing if I run too many tests and speeds continue to bounce all over the place. At least with DMZ my speeds NEVER fluctuated.

I'm running the latest firmware V1.0.7.6_1.1.99

I tried to add as much detail before/after trying DMZ to clear up any possible questions on the status of my devices/router. May I add that about two months ago I had a power outage that I thought rendered my router useless as the LEDs never powered on correctly and they would all light so dimly, but then all of a sudden after 30 minutes of trying manual hard resets and almost giving up to be on my way to the store for a new router the correct LEDs started to light properly and with normal intensity and not be so dim, and only then was I able to reconnect to the router to reconfigure. I had the same PS4 speed issues before this incident, but this was the only time I've ever had a problem with any router I've owned.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
InTheZoneAC
Aspirant

Re: R7000 PS4 Speed/DMZ issues

thanks for all the help, the root of the issue was the router. I tried enabling dmz again on the ip within the ip reservation, tested the ps4 and nat reports type 2 with speeds consitently above 80Mbps. Tried 10 consecutive tests immediately after one another to see if Nat fails or the D/L speeds crawl and it never did.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
clithes
Prodigy

Are you relying on the PS4's own speed test to prove what connection speed you are achieving?

This is simply a file moving over the PSN Network which could affect the reported values.

Or are you using a speed test site through the browser?

In my experience inconsistent download speeds are due to PSN, not your equipment.  Often if you pause and restart a download it 'tricks' the network to connect again at your fastest speed.

Message 2 of 7
InTheZoneAC
Aspirant

I'm trying both, but again one config showed consistent speeds with failed NAT type. NAT issues are the bigger problem and I'm trying to get DMZ to work. My download speeds were mentioned just to show consistency in my tests regarding my config.

Message 3 of 7
clithes
Prodigy

What modem are you using?  Is your R7000 in the DMZ for that?

Message 4 of 7
InTheZoneAC
Aspirant

@clithes wrote:

What modem are you using?  Is your R7000 in the DMZ for that?

I'm not using a modem, it's Century Link Fiber and the router connects directly to the wall through a cat6 cable. As stated the DMZ setting was tried within the router's DHCP range and outside of it, both resulted in NAT failed with consistent download speeds.

Message 5 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Let's rephrase the question.  Does your R7000 have a public IP address on its Internet/WAN port?  If it's private IP address, then there's a router upstream that's blocking ports.  You will need to address that first.

Message 6 of 7
InTheZoneAC
Aspirant

thanks for all the help, the root of the issue was the router. I tried enabling dmz again on the ip within the ip reservation, tested the ps4 and nat reports type 2 with speeds consitently above 80Mbps. Tried 10 consecutive tests immediately after one another to see if Nat fails or the D/L speeds crawl and it never did.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7