Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000

R7000 - Password Reset

I recently purchased this router at a garage sale. Was told there is no password just the original. I was able to get in the router, make changes, and change the password. I got hacked by my friends son, a real smart a**, and now I cant get into the router.
I cant register the router because its already registered in 2015. I cant contact support because I havevto buy support ticket (which is total bs if you as me. If they ever want me to buy anything from them ever again that has got to change). So now I cant do anythingvto get back into the router because there is no support and I cant register this in my name. I Think netgear sucks and I'm ready to throw this router out and file a complaint against netgear .

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

at the back of the router, there's a reset hole you can push in with a pin for some seconds until the power light begins to blink. It will factory reset the router including to its original user/pass of "admin" and "password"

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15

All Replies
microchip8
Master

at the back of the router, there's a reset hole you can push in with a pin for some seconds until the power light begins to blink. It will factory reset the router including to its original user/pass of "admin" and "password"

Message 2 of 15

@Towerjack1960 wrote:
I Think netgear sucks and I'm ready to throw this router out and file a complaint against netgear .

A better move might be to chop the hands off your friend's son. There's not much that Netgear can do about juvenile deliquents, especially when messing around with second hand hardware that is probably well out of warranty.

You have already got sound advice from @microchip8 but you might also like to read the manual for this router.

There is support material, including a manual, for the R7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Check the section Factory Settings.

Message 3 of 15
myersw
Master

Good example of creating a hard to guess password. Must have been easy if the kid next door could figure it out. If in your house at times do not do the classic of sticky note with password shown. Where I used to work I was one of the folks who did an after hours security check, especially looking for password info. Sticky note on monitor was classic, on bottom of keyboard was another favorite. I am lucky. Kids around me are not that old yet and the adults can hardly spell network.

Message 4 of 15

@microchip8, thank you for your reply. I know I was pretty well steamed when I wrote this but I spent hours trying to get into my router to no avail. I tried the reset but that didnt work for me. Maybe I didnt hold it in long enough but I thought I had. I will try that again and see if it works. Will keep you posted.
Again thank you.
Message 5 of 15

@michaelkenward,
Thank you for your reply. I already have the manual downloaded and have read it from cover to cover. I am going to try the factory reset again which will be strike 3 if it doesnt work, but I'm willing to try once more.
BTW, I'm 58 and a computer programmer and repair tech. I find printers thrown out and repair them for the hell of it (35 & counting). I might have so mad that I may have overlooked something. But I'm no noob when it comes to working on electronics. In fact, this is the first time I ever had to post in a forum since 1982, when I went to school for computer programming. I learned BASIC, RPG & COBOL on a Wang VS 2200. The computer was in the next room, the whole room LoL.
Anyway, I'm off subject. Thank you. I will post as soon as I try to reset again.
Message 6 of 15
myersw
Master

@Towerjack1960

Welcome to the club. 

I am 83, hired in with IBM in 1961 and worked on mainframes. Then telcom as an Advisory SE. Retired, buyout, and went to a large coast to coast hospital organisation their network group. Was there until age 78 when I retired. Did assembler when at IBM and C on my own. Been doing home since could get a 1.544Mb/s DSL link. 

Message 7 of 15

@myersw,
Thank you for your reply. I don't write down my passwords and they are at least 19 characters long with numbers, letters small and capitalized, and special characters to boot.
My friends son is a 39 y/o meth-head who has commented that he has a macbook and can hack any windows computer without being hacked back. I don't believe that, but my router is pigtailed off his router and I do believe he was able to hack into my router being on the same network. I'm using my router to extend his weak AT&T wifi. I'm outside in an Airstream so wifi is rough till I hooked the Nighthawk up. I cant get the 5G in my bedroom but I have a good signal on the 2G.
I didnt think my friends son could pull it off but he's mad I won't work on his truck anymore. I won't do anything for him anymore after stealing my tools and everything else he does around here. I'm also a mechanic with 43 yrs experience and my own business.
Anyway, my password wasnt the problem, its my being hooked up to his router with my network cord. And measures are being taken to put an end to this. It will mean jail time for him. Something he needs.
Message 8 of 15

@myersw,
Wow Bill, its good to meet you! Nice to know there are people in our age group who can keep up with these youngsters LoL. Long story short, I had to leave school in '82 just 2 weeks before I graduated. Dad wouldnt help me with gas money. I had to hitch-hike 35 miles in the winter on back roads in upstate NY and was told they would drop me if I was late one more time. I took a leave of absence and never made it back. I was aceing that school. Top 5 of the class. 100 average in Accounting only because the teacher wouldnt give me the extra credit on the final. I wouldve had a 105 average LoL. He was just mad because I used to get stoned before his class. He was a boring hippie in a suit and tie.
Haven't gone in yet to reset my router. Will do it soon. Hopefully I didn't hold it in long enough last nite but I'm not keeping my hopes up.
Eddie
Message 9 of 15

@Towerjack1960 wrote:

...I went to school for computer programming. I learned BASIC, RPG & COBOL on a Wang VS 2200.

No FORTAN? The scientists' language? I have many years on you. They didn't do computer programming when studied physics at university.

Message 10 of 15
myersw
Master

No computers for me in college. 1956. 😉

Slide rule anyone? 

Message 11 of 15

@michaelkenward
The school I went to didn't offer Fortran. Just a nursing course and a Computer Programming with Business Applications course. 3 language's in 9 months plus Algebra, Accounting I & II. I thought I was moving up in the world LoL.
Message 12 of 15

Ok. I resey the router, 3 more times and I finally got in. Of course I can't regisyer the router but that's wrong. Even if I didn't get the free service, I should be able to register it under my name now seeing as I am the rightful owner now. So I can't back up my router password I will have to do a reset again if that happens. Think ill just hack the AT&T uverse router and change his password so he can't getvin his. I could always block him from the router LoL.
But anyway, it took a couple tries to get it to reset. I'm thinking the reset button is messed up. Next time I will take it apart and fix the reset button. I wasted enough time on it already. Thank you for the help and I did enjoy my time here. I will come back more often just to see what's going on.
Eddie
Message 13 of 15

No computers for me in college. 1956. Smiley Wink

Slide rule anyone?

--Bill

ROFLMBO
No, I don't think they had a computer small enough to fit in a college back then. Weren't you still trying to figure out how to make a square stone roll?
Message 14 of 15

@Towerjack1960 wrote:
Think ill just hack the AT&T uverse router ...

Does that mean you and an R7000 and an uverse router on the same network?

That can cause headaches.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7