R7000 Ping Response Question

Retired_Member
Not applicable

R7000 Ping Response Question

R7000 ping response is less than 1ms via 2.4 and 5g which seems normal to me when pinging 192.168.1.1 with no other devices in use or connected.

Same setup and router XXXXX responds with 2~3ms and cannot even return a 1ms response.

Which router would you buy?
Message 1 of 7
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: R7000 Ping Response Question

I'd buy the router with the faster ping time. Assuming that it had all the functionality that I need, of course.
Message 2 of 7
Cybercare
Aspirant

Ping means nothing.

Some devices have priority to different things.

For example a unit I have (can't share anything else of it due to NDA) from Netgear has higher ping to it, but because it's programmed to give low priority to local ping and even with no load it's higher.

The real question is what is the actual latency between the client and the endpoint.

Router A and Router B can have different ping times if HW is different, Broadcom vs. Qualcomm for example or different driver ver due to FW differences or programmed different.

Lower ping is generally better though but ping should not to be used as actual determination. It's good for first level troubleshooting and other things.

You can really complicate it and say, would you rather Router A that has 1ms local ping and gets 49Mbps to internet, or Router B that has 2-3ms ping but gets 52Mbps on internet Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Cybercare,

Hey you already broke the NDA.
Message 4 of 7
Cybercare
Aspirant

Maybe NDA's for them you have signed but mine is not broken nor the standard one used for HW/SW betas.

I'm in a special little boat and have been authorized to say what I have. Smiley Wink
But yes, in general one should not mention anything so others need to keep that in mind.

Unless you're approved/authorized you shouldn't even mention you have an NDA.

Anyway, no need to take this off-topic.

What made you ask this anyway about the ping?
Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Were done for now.
Thanks for the info.
Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Cybercare,

Totally agree.

Unless ping times are WAY off (like say 100ms or even more) I barely even pay attention to them.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements