Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000, Problems with Wireless devices connecting after latest firmware upgrade 1.0.6

Nitenik
Tutor

R7000, Problems with Wireless devices connecting after latest firmware upgrade 1.0.6

I recently upgraded to the latest firmware offered for the R7000...

The upgrade went well and my wired PC's all connected with no issues, but many of my wireless devices were not able to connect to the WiFi. I my Cell Phone Wifi (Androide phone) kept giving me authentication error, but was able to connect to the Guest network... wierd...

I reverted back to firmware 1.0.4 and all worked well again... seems like the new firmware is buggy.

The Firmware versions specified above are only the first three numbers, to save typing, but you get the version I'm using...

Nick

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Nitenik
Tutor

Re: R7000, Problems with Wireless devices connecting after latest firmware upgrade 1.0.6

Hello,

I should let you know, I upgraded to v1.0.6 last night and everything worked. The difference is this time I had to Reset my router to factory settings using the hidden reset button at the back and hold it for about 7-10 seconds. This reset the router to factory settings. I then had to re-enter all of my IP address reservations and word block list, but all of my wireless devices were able to connect. The last time I had done the upgrade, I only rebooted the router, and i had read I had to do a Factory Reset to get it to work properly.

It would have been nice for Netgear to come up with a way to extract the Information form my previous version back-up... it would've saved me a lot of time...

Good Luck

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 14

All Replies
edgrsanchez
Guide

Re: R7000, Problems with Wireless devices connecting after latest firmware upgrade 1.0.6

I've had countless issues as well. 

I upgraded form 1.0.4 to 1.0.6 and then factory reset my router.

I'm able to connect my wireless devices, but when I leave the house with my iPhone and come back home, it won't reconnect. If I try to do it manually, iOS pops up a window asking for my password yet it won't take it even though it's the correct one. This pop up is different from anythign i've seen, because usually, when I connect to a new network, the password prompt is displayed on a full page rather than a pop-up. 

Also, I can no longer access the router's GUI. I've tried rebooting the router, etc. No dice.

I'm extremely frustrated.

Message 2 of 14
thelemonkid
Luminary

Your iOS device probably 'sees' the network as a new one with the same name as the old one..... So it does not 'understand' what is going on, connect to the 'new' or to the 'old' one?

I would reset your network settings in the iOS device.

Remember that previously you could either select the 5Ghz or the 2,4Ghz network. Your iOS remembers that but now it has to negotiate with your router what to use 5Ghz or 2,4..... So an old setting may not work properly.

When your netgear sits behind another modem/router provided by you ISP, plug out your router and your ISP provided modem/router. WAIT at least ten minutes. While you also disconnect all other devices..

Restart your ISP modem/router. Wait untill it is working. Restart your netgear with a factory reset and choose the options you like it to use. 

Message 3 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Can you check the post below if you have the same scenario? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-2-4ghz-not-working-but-5ghz-is-fine/m-...

Message 4 of 14
Nitenik
Tutor

Yes, seems like the issues listed are similar to the ones I've experienced with the newer Firmware...

However, doing a factory Reset will clear any and all settings I had stored in the router...

I suppose I can try the Factory Reset, but enetering all those Mac addresses and port #'s, SSID's etc. takes quite a bit of time to re-enter; shouldn't the Firware upgrade take this into account and come up with a way to be able to read the backup file and extract only the items which does not affect the newer firmware?

It just seems odd that an upgrade like this would take so much set-up time again. Netgear should make these types of upgrades more seemless.

Message 5 of 14
HarveyP
Aspirant

AMEN!

Message 6 of 14
Chronoenishi
Aspirant

I just had to rollback the firmware to V 1.0.4 as well.

My laptops & WDTVs would not connect to my wireless network with V 1.0.5 & V 1.0.6; but would connect thru the guest wireless.

My cellphones, tablets, and SmartTV would connect find with V 1.0.6.

Message 7 of 14
Nitenik
Tutor

Hello,

I should let you know, I upgraded to v1.0.6 last night and everything worked. The difference is this time I had to Reset my router to factory settings using the hidden reset button at the back and hold it for about 7-10 seconds. This reset the router to factory settings. I then had to re-enter all of my IP address reservations and word block list, but all of my wireless devices were able to connect. The last time I had done the upgrade, I only rebooted the router, and i had read I had to do a Factory Reset to get it to work properly.

It would have been nice for Netgear to come up with a way to extract the Information form my previous version back-up... it would've saved me a lot of time...

Good Luck

Message 8 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

1.0.6.28 FIRMWARE IS HOSED !!!!!

Until today I truly hadn't had any issues with it. A few minutes ago I decided to turn off 2.4 and see how my network would handle it. I was shocked to see the Arlo SSID (netgear02-arlo_246656) pop up when checking INSSIDER. Make NO MISTAKE is was not there and hadn't been since disabling it last Sunday.

So I checked router setup and Arlo WAS STILL DISABLED. SO how the blank did it turn it self on? I'm seriously TIRED of wasting time doing YOUR job. TEST YOUR GD FIRMWARE.

Message 9 of 14
Nitenik
Tutor

Hi Searay, I'm a customer, I don't work for netgear. But you might try the factory reset as this seems to be solving most issues...I agree with you netgear has done poorly with debugging in this firmware version.
Message 10 of 14
Killhippie
Prodigy

I'm guessing some bod at netgear thought if you turned off 2.4Ghz then your arlo cameras would disconnect so it turns it on, not taking into account you had it turned off anyway, bad firmware I agree but since I use 2.4Ghz I have had no issues with this firmware at present. Instead of adding bloat like Arlo there are so many other useful features we could have had, shame. Asus has options in its firmware and the version you can add to the R7000, but Netgear just dont make any headway themselves. same tired GUI. Give me CPU useage, or a trend micro like setup which Asus has, not Arlo <sigh>

Message 11 of 14
netwrks
Master

I updated (or downgraded, depending on how you look at it) one of my r7000's with this firmware on the weekend, did some quick 5ghz speedtest with my Android phone about 15 feet away, (as  base measurement) between this firmware and latest Xvortex build. Xvortex had better 5ghz throghput. Backed out of Netgear firmware.. 

EDIT: Note to Netgear. Load some R7000's with some third party firmware. Have a look at this GUI presentation, and the types of settings that are being offered on your own hardware. Alot of user's are looking for more features / settings, out of this platform, not less..

Message 12 of 14
No_ROI
Aspirant

R7000, current Firmware Version V1.0.6.28_1.1.83  

interesting I got the upgrade notification email on 2/2/16 AFTER upgrading to V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 on 1/30/16....

So here is the sequence of events and issues I've seen with this router:

1. purchased the system Sep-14, spent close to 100hrs with Netgear CS trying to optimize the router to be able to communicate with different devices in my home. It took 2-3 months till all my devices got acceptable communication and worked great till...

2. about 3 weeks ago, out of the blue, at least nothing I did, my Sami Note 4 (problem not seen with my other devices like a Sami S4)started having issues sync'ing with my Comcast email using exchange when on WiFi, not an issue when in cell mode. Note 4 is connecting using the 5G band. Tried deleting the account, changing the ports setting on the phone etc..., no change, the Note 4 refused to consistently sync with Comcast (occasionally did worked).

3. on 1/30/16 after doing some research on the net I decided to look into the router setting and found that I was on an old 1.0.3.80 so I decided to upgrade and see if helps. Well the email sync issue seemed to have solved immediately after that and work ok that day, but next day started having the same issue again. Not just that but my Note 4 (again not see on the other mobile devices) started having an additional 10-30s delay in loading any page/content etc. from the internet, again only on WiFi.  Speed tests were equivalent before and after the firmware change (~40mls, 80-110Mbs). Again on cell mode all pages were uploaded instantly, but on WiFi mode it adds another good 10-30s uploading anything. I've tried changing all relevant settings (enabling smart connect, Preampl, channels, 2.4 vs 5G, enabled and disabling Smart connect, BEAMFORMING, AIRTIME FAIRNESS etc... I spent several hours on different options. Note 4 is connecting fine using the 5G band and at speeds >500MBs.

4. after reading issues reported here with the new V1.0.6.28_1.1.83, yesterday 2/6/16 I decided to downgrade so I tried all the version one by one down to 1.04.18, same issues !

Contacted Netgear, they wanted $200 or more to extend service, which is an extortion for a $200 router and that this seemed to be a fwr issue, I told them no thank you ! They did imply that this could be an optimization between different devices/bandwidths/channels tec., nothing that I didn't tried before. 

I will try a factory reset and see if it helps, but the ROI on this premium router turns out to be very negative, if I had know that Netgear will turn their back to customers after charging premium for their unit, I would have gone with other known brands. I had the WRT54G for many years (still works) and never had an issue with it, good service.

If you have other suggestions pls. let me know. 

Thanks !

Message 13 of 14
netwrks
Master

A factory reset seems to work after upgrade. Do not load a backed up config. Reconfig from scratch. If still te same fall back to your previous version of firmware. Do the same thing - reset to factory default..

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7