Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 QoS incorrectly applies to LAN ports

MikeHardy
Aspirant

R7000 QoS incorrectly applies to LAN ports

Hi there - I'm aware there have been other threads related to this, but none of them appear to have a real solution.

The closest was a posted "solution" of setting the LAN IP range to something that would be in the WAN IP range (which is not what I want to do), reference here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Dynamic-QoS-Throttles-LAN-transmission...

My setup is:

1) WAN - your typical WAN ingress - we have a DSL router with an ethernet cable coming out, plugged into the R7000's WAN port. The R7000 receives DHCP service, where it gets a 192.168.1.108 address (though it could receive any address and that should be fine...). WAN speeds native on the ISP routers are ~4.5Mbit/s x 4.5Mbit/s which is roughly the contracted speed. This is all fine as far as I can tell.

2) LAN - I have configured the R7000 to run the LAN on subnet 10.1.14.0/24, the R7000 is .254, and it does DHCP for the rest. With QoS off, I receive the same 4.5Mbit/s internet speeds up/down as on the ISP router and I get 1Gbit between LAN devices, also fine.

3) WLAN/Wifi is typical - 2.4/5GHz are both up and running just fine, also on 10.1.14.0/24, same as item #2 above, with DHCP reservations so things are predictable but flexible. With QoS off, I get near 1Gbit speeds over 5GHz Wifi, and to LAN devices, and I receive 4.5Mbit/s up/down to the internet. All seems fine. Happy so far.

The Problem: Turn on QoS (either manual or dynamic) and WiFi speeds remain nearly 1Gbit/s between wireless devices, QoS works well from Wifi or LAN to the Internet, BUT Wireless to LAN is also throttled to the same QoS speeds that should only apply to the WAN port. This makes QoS useless if you also have a home NAS or similar connected via ethernet to the R7000.

Stated more simply then: When you turn QoS on in the R7000 GUI, the QoS limits are incorrectly applied between Wireless and LAN, instead of just on traffic through the WAN port.

Per the previous link I don't seem to be the only person seeing this, but that solution (putting my internal LAN network into the existing ISP routers 192.168.1.0/24 address space, which should be external from the R7000's perspective) is not something I consider a solution.

The only other option I see for functioning QoS without terrible LAN side effects is generally discouraged - that being running dd-wrt or similar. Reports seem to indicate that would work but I fully understand this sometimes leads to bricked routers, which is a terrible thing to contemplate...

Hardware Version: R7000
Firmware Version: V1.0.9.6_1.2.19
GUI Language Version: V1.0.9.6_2.1.38.1

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: R7000 QoS incorrectly applies to LAN ports

Hi MikeHardy,

Please try this firmware.

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7000#Firmware Version 1.0.9.10

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
MikeHardy
Aspirant

No one else experiences this? I guess I'll look up official support...

Message 2 of 4
JamesGL
Master

Hi MikeHardy,

Please try this firmware.

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7000#Firmware Version 1.0.9.10

Message 3 of 4
MikeHardy
Aspirant

JamesGL thank you!

- I have applied the new update,

- I have run a WAN speedtest,

- I have turned on QoS with my bandwidth set about 10% below what speedtest detected this morning (and which was stable - the same as is normally detected)

- I re-ran the WAN speedtest and I see both that the limit I set is being applied to the WAN traffic and that the line is more stable under load

- I tested a large file transfer from Wifi<->LAN and I see that the limit no longer is being applied between Wifi<->LAN

This looks like a full fix then, with expected behavior witnessed everywhere after the update to 1.0.9.10

Thank you!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7