Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 R8000 Alternative Firmware

RalfyM
Guide

R7000 R8000 Alternative Firmware

I think I've finally had enough of Netgears poor software on both the R7000 and R8000P. It just keeps going wrong in different ways on both routers. The R7000 doesn't show attached device correctly now, but once did. Now also cannot name devices.  Named devices on Access Control never worked. R8000P used to not be able to name attached devices, now can! Netgear Armor is stupidly expensive even with the discounts occassionally on offer. Would someone please recommend an alternative with the following features, if you've used them:

1. One of the routers will connect directly to my fibre ONT, using PPPoE. Must allow me to enter a login.

a. Preferrably some kind of protection similar to Netgear Armor

2. QoS, preferrably auto configured

3. VPN

4. Name devices and assign static IP's

5. SMB HDDs connected to the USB ports

6. One router, preferrably the R7000 to be used as an access point

7. Allow guest network setup and separation

8. Access control

9. Port forwarding

10. Preferrably easy to use because I have other things I'd like to spend time on. So more GUI, less command line.

Been looking at OpenWRT, DD-WRT and AdvancedTomato. Any one have an opinion on the pros and cons? I think DD-WRT and AdvancedTomato are out as they support R8000 but not R8000P according to the websites. Which would leave me with but one choice. Unless I'm missing a better option for the feature list above.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router, R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 R8000 Alternative Firmware

You'd be better off to post on one of those forums and not on the offical netgear forum for stock firmware

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7