Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Follower

R7000 Random Reboots after 1.0.9.60 firmware upgrade

As the subject says, today I updated to 1.0.9.60 firmware and the router has been rebooting every 1-3 hours on its own ever since.  Is anyone else having this issue, is it a known issue, and is there a fix?  I intend to look now if they keep the previous versions posted so I can downgrade.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 45
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Random Reboots after 1.0.9.60 firmware upgrade

I've had similar behavior and also issues with 5g simply dropping out while 2.4g stays up. I reverted back to the version listed on the R7000 download page, 1.0.9.42. I saw a post with somebody having similar 5g issues on .58 and that .58 was pulled.

Message 2 of 45
Highlighted
Apprentice

Same issue I've been experiencing, too. I guess I'm going back to the older firmware, too.
Message 3 of 45
Highlighted
Aspirant

had the same issues. Now my EX7700 Extender isn't working. 

Message 4 of 45
Highlighted
Apprentice

I did a factory reset with this firmware installed and manually entered every setting again. Of course, the 5Ghz network is completely crap - keeps disconnecting every few minutes. Extremely annoying and irritating, especially when I have to rely on my WiFi for work. This firmware needs to get pulled as well.

Message 5 of 45
Highlighted
Tutor

Can confirm, also having same issue with 5ghz dropping connections even after factory reset and wasting my time reconfiguring everything, reverted back to previous .42 firmware and issue resolved.

Message 6 of 45
Highlighted
Apprentice

Having same issue after firmware update as well.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 7 of 45
Highlighted
Apprentice

I downgraded back to 42 after numerous reboots from the .60 update.   Anyone gotten an answer from Netgear yet??

Message 8 of 45
Highlighted
Tutor

I can also confirm that 1.0.9.60 is BROKE AF. See attached screenshot, my 5ghz network is also broken.

Netgear, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves for putting out such broke software to your customers. The average user isn't going to know how to troubleshoot and revert to fix issues. They're just going to be left with a broken network and terrible customer service phone calls. I"m reverting back to 1.0.9.42 and will begin shopping for a router from a different company. I'm tired of this.

Well, time to revert, reset, and re-enter all 55 of my DHCP reservations... 

Model: R7000
Message 9 of 45
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ya this is getting ridiculous. Does nobody test the firmware before its released. These are not small issues, this is main router functionality.

I don't think I've ever updated this routers firmware without issues. Either the wired network falls to pieces, or like in this case the wireless drops out, constant reboots.

Icing on the cake, not even sure how, but on this firmware one of the times the router rebooted it also factory reset itself. Talk about a confusing few minutes wondering what had happened.
Message 10 of 45
Highlighted
Tutor

I've done a factory reset with 1.0.9.60 and restored my backup config (with low confidence). Surprisingly, things are stable as of now. We'll see after a couple days of use. Nonetheless, I still plan on getting a different brand router. But I wanted to keep folks informed on my progress!

Message 11 of 45
Highlighted
Tutor

.42 was relatively stable for me, but yesterday we suddenly experienced a series of reboots (or dropouts, not really sure).  Wifi was up and OK for maybe 10 minutes, then down (on both iPhone and PC), then up after maybe a couple of minutes.  After the third or fourth cycle, I peformed paperclip reset (I had already done a factory reset, so this was just a reset) and the problem persisted.  Then a hard power cycle, yet the problem persisted.  This is all very surprising to me since .42 had been stable for quite some time.  Then I discovered .60, and decided to upgrade even though I saw this thread.

So far .60 is stable for me.  It's only been a day, so we'll see.  So far, I have not done a factory reset; I only do this after experiencing problems with new firmware.

FWIW...

Message 12 of 45
Highlighted
Aspirant

Same problem for me after .60 firmware upgrade. Fought the random disconnects for several days before reverting to .52 firmware. All stable now!

Message 13 of 45
Highlighted
Tutor

Update: After 2 days of being pretty stable on 1.0.9.60, the 5ghz network has gone down again. No device can connect to it. This smells like a memory leak to me. Going to reboot and see if things return to normal. The release notes say they've fixed an out-of-memory problem, but looks like they still have some work to do...sigh

Message 14 of 45
Highlighted
Apprentice

I downgraded to .42 (factory reset about 3 times afterwards) - which completely decreased both my upload/download speeds. So, I decided to upgrade to .60 to see what happens considering the crap show this has already become. Shockingly, it stayed stable for couple days and just now the 5GHz network went down - all devices connected to it disconnected. I was in the middle of doing work and this level of instability is not ideal. I'm already looking at routers from ASUS and LinkSys because I can't deal with this level of negligence from Netgear.

Message 15 of 45
Highlighted
Tutor

^^^ Exact same thing happened to me. Power cycling did not resolve the issue so it must not be a memory leak. It has to be some kind of corruption that occurs somewhere on the filesystem (which explains why it persists through reboots). When I try to connect my iPhone it says the password is incorrect. But when I try to connect my Macbook Pro it just says the network could not be joined. I'll keep troubleshooting, then I'll revert to .42 sometime tonight.

Message 16 of 45
Highlighted
Apprentice

Been using the new firmware for 3 days now.

No problems so far. I guess I'm just lucky.

My only suggestion is a manual hard reset (paper clip thingy) and manully input all of your settings (don't restore a backup).

Message 17 of 45
Highlighted
Apprentice

Yup, did that, too. About 2-3 times and did not work. I downgraded to .42, factory reset about 3 times and manually input all settings - still wasn't stable. I downgraded to .34, factory reset about 3-4 times and finally I have a stable wireless network - both 2.4 and 5 networks have been running fine for the past three days.

Message 18 of 45
Highlighted
Aspirant

I too upgraded my router to 1.0.9.60 from .42 because OpenVPN could not connect to the router from the outside.   

After the update to .60, the router starts to disconnecting devices from the both 2g and 5g radios at random, about once a day, and eventually will reboot and start working again.  But then the USB shared drive will stop working.  I'll check the USB readyshare storage settings, and those will be reset to factory settings.  I'll change them back and will revert to factory settings again when it starts to act up again.  I don't want to downgrade to .42 because the VPN service doesn't work.

Message 19 of 45
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Denmar wrote:

As the subject says, today I updated to 1.0.9.60 firmware and the router has been rebooting every 1-3 hours on its own ever since.  Is anyone else having this issue, is it a known issue, and is there a fix?  I intend to look now if they keep the previous versions posted so I can downgrade.

I don't know if this is related but, one thing that I found after updating to .60 and then reverting back to .42 that may be possibly causing the issue is that for some reason after reverting back, my NTP time settings in the router had been changed to the the wrong time zone. 

After I reverted back to .42, I started having some issues with my attached NAS, disconnecting anytime that I tried to write to it.  I then started trying to figure out what was wrong as this wasn't an issue prior to updating ot the latest router firmware.  I had almost gotten to the point of a hard reset on the NAS and router, but decided to explore the different NAS and router settings first, when I noticed the incorrect NTP time zone settings on the router.  I then changed it to the correct time zone (and daylight savings check box) and the NAS immediately started working normally again with no issues with read/writing.

I am not sure if the .60 update firmware rebooting bug is related to that.  Maybe causing a glitch in time zone settings.  Maybe it is a coincidence, but it did seem to cause my NAS disconnects and it might be causing a glitch with stability. 

I haven't experimented with going back to .60 and checking that time zone setting again as I am afraid it will mess everything up again if I update the firmware as .42 has always been stable for me, but maybe a braver soul who is also having .60 issues check that NTP time setting and see if that might be causing the issue.

Message 20 of 45
Highlighted
Aspirant

Having the same exact problem since updating to .60 on my R7000.  I thought it was our internet provider Xfinity.  Kept power cycling the equipment and of course the Wife was getting frustrated with the random reboots knocking down our streaming services, smart home, and wifi connectivity.  I reverted back to .42 and it is still having the same problem.  I'm going to try to do the same as someone else and reverse to an older firmware before .42.  This is the 2nd time in a year there's been a major F up with a firmware release seriously affecting the functionality of the device.  At least the last time reverting to the version before the latest worked, this time around it seems to have carried over back to .42 after reflashing.  Very strange.

Message 21 of 45
Highlighted
Master

Sometime when backleveling firmware you have to RESET the router to FACTORY SETTINGS and then MANUALLY reentering settings.

See manual on how to RESET TO FACTORY SETTINGS.

Message 22 of 45
Highlighted
Aspirant

Anyone having luck with the .64 firmware update on 1/31/19? Afraid to try. Didn’t notice anything regarding these problems on the release notes at first glance. I’m currently using an old firmware version as suggested which seemed to fix the lost network and power cycle problems.
Message 23 of 45
Highlighted
Apprentice

I'll try it this weekend when I have some downtime but initial reports on other threads said that it doesn't resolve the issues from .60. If and when I do the upgrade, I will most likely do a factory reset and manually key in the settings from scratch. Maybe that will help but .34 has been incredibly stable for me, so if it doesn't work, I'll be back on .34 again.

Message 24 of 45
Highlighted
Guide

I tried it and had the same issues as 60 with the disconnects of WiFi. Rolled back to 42. 

Message 25 of 45