Re: R7000 Red Light

sheila4427
Aspirant

R7000 Red Light

I have had my R7000 router for about three years and I just noticed that there is a red light on.  The red light is above the 2 and I am not sure what that means or how to address it.  Can you help?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] The red light is above the 2 and I am not sure what that means
> or how to address it. [...]

Is it red or amber?  Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your
model number, and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual, and look
for "Top and Front Panels" and "LED and button descriptions".

What's connected to LAN Ethernet port 2?

Message 2 of 5
sheila4427
Aspirant

It is amber in color.

I have cox box and the netgear R7000 AC1900.

When you say LAN Ethernet port 2 I am assuming you mean on the back of the box where there is a 2.  There is a cable there that goes to the wall.  It has been working fine for a long time so not sure why all of a sudden the light would be amber.

Message 3 of 5
antinode
Guru

> It is amber in color.

Ok.

> I have cox box [...]

Not a very detailed description of anything.  Some kind of cable
modem?

> [...] When you say LAN Ethernet port 2 I am assuming you mean on the
> back of the box where there is a 2. [...]

Yes.  One of what the User Manual calls "Ethernet ports 1-4" and
"Ethernet LAN ports 1-4".

> [...] There is a cable there that goes to the wall. [...]

Unless you have some new kind of Internet-capable wall, I'd guess that
that cable doesn't stop at the wall, but continues on to some some
device somewhere.  Sadly, with my weak psychic/super powers, I can't see
inside your dwelling or its walls.

> [...] It has been working fine for a long time [...]

Define "working fine".  Was that LED white before?

> [...] so not sure why all of a sudden the light would be amber.

That might depend on to what it's connected.  A computer which is
shut down and "off" (but still plugged in) may provide stand-by power to
its network interface, and, in that mode, run at a slower link rate
(100MHz instead if 1000MHz), which would account for the amber LED
indicator.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@sheila4427 wrote:

It is amber in color.

I have cox box and the netgear R7000 AC1900.

When you say LAN Ethernet port 2 I am assuming you mean on the back of the box where there is a 2.  There is a cable there that goes to the wall.  It has been working fine for a long time so not sure why all of a sudden the light would be amber.

There are some pictures and descriptions of the status indicators in the manual for your router, which is here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf  The descriptions are on pages 11-12.

Ethernet runs at various speeds, and your router supports 10 megabits, 100 megabits, and 1 gigabit.  The amber color just means that the connection is running at one of the lower speeds (most likely 100 megabits). 

We can't really tell if the amber color means something is wrong, unless you can identify what else that cable is connected to.  It possibly is part of your TV setup - for instance, it might connect to a DVR or similar appliance.  If you are getting landline phone service from Cox (or Vonage, etc), it might also be a VoIP (Voice over IP) appliance that connects your phone to the Cox network.

So my first suggestion is that you look around your home, and see if you can figure out where that cable goes and what it is connected to.  If you can't spot it, you can try disconnecting the cable from the router for a while, and see what breaks.  Post back when you figure it out, with the manufacturer/model of whatever it is.  

You can also try moving the cable to a different ethernet port - ports 1-4 are all the same, so you can use any of them.  If the light on the new port is white, then just leave it connected there.  That would mean something isn't quite right with the connector on port 2 (a loose fit, or maybe a wire is broken inside the router).  If the port remains amber, then either the device on the other end only uses 100 megabit ethernet, or something is wrong with the cabling along the path (or the other device's ethernet port).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements