R7000 Router unresponsive every 5 to 10 days (Leak?)

Ken98045
Tutor

R7000 Router unresponsive every 5 to 10 days (Leak?)

My R7000 becomes unresponsive on an average of every 5 to 10 days.  Internet connections timeout, admin connections to the router fail. If I power cycle everything works fine.  I have been keeping up with firmware updates, and it has happened for probably the last 2 or 3 versions. 

The problem has been so persistent and annoying that I have started running a small program that attempts connections to one out of 50 websites every minute to see when the problems occur.  Interestingly, that program does not show a loss of the ability to connect to  those sites and download their header page.  However, my timeouts are longer than a browser will typically wait before getting bored.

I strongly suspect that the router has a memory leak, or another resource leak .  However, I know of no way to tell if this is the case.  The router log shows nothing interesting.  It would be very handy if the router were to log those kinds of problems (memory low, any internal tables are getting huge, etc.).   Additionally, it would be great if the router UI would show things like this too.  

There really has to be some way for the firmware to know when it is getting in trouble.  If it doesn't then that in itself is a problem.  If these kinds of logs aren't kept then there is no way the people writing the firmware can know if they have a leak somewhere.

It is possible that there is a hardware problem, but I think it is unlikely since my monitoring program can still make connections.  I suppose I'll need to start tracking/graphing how long these connections take, but so far it hasn't been worth the effort.

Anyway, I'm starting to think that flashing a non Netgear firmware might be the way to go.  Does anybody have suggestions?  I'm running Tomato on an Asus router and it seems stable, but I don't put too much traffic through that one.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
rogier64
Luminary

Re: R7000 Router unresponsive every 5 to 10 days (Leak?)

I run XWRT-Vortex for R7000, it's rock stable and has a very nice GUI. It's based on AsusWRT. I'm convinced it will solve all your problems.

Message 2 of 3
Ken98045
Tutor

Re: R7000 Router unresponsive every 5 to 10 days (Leak?)

I gave up and went to Advanced Tomato.  So far it seems fine.  If that doesn't work I'm off to another.   The only thing I don't like about it so far is that the attached USB drive was a pain to setup (due in part to the latest Windows Creator version on one computer).  I'm also unsure if they support beamforming.  Regardless of the beamforming my signal strength looks good.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E