Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 SLOW Wired/LAN -- Need Help

rafakoy
Initiate

R7000 SLOW Wired/LAN -- Need Help

I recently upgrade my internet conection from 150/150Mbps to Gigabit (Verizon FIOS).

My router is a Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000). My two desktop computers are wired and I use Wifi only for phones, a laptop, Xbox, Tv, Roku, etc.
Before the service upgrade, speed was never a problem with 150Mbps, the router always gave me maximum wired speed with my desktop computers, now with the new service, I only get around 350 Mbps but if I connect the fiber optic Verizon modem directly to my PC, I get around 980Mbps. What's going on? Doesn't the R7000 supposed to be Gigabit for wired conections? I tried everything, I read all forums, disabled QOS, changed MTU packages sizes, reset the router, etc. but nothing works. I use Cat 5e cables.
I'm starting to think the Gigabit statement from Netgear is a big BS.

This is the speed I get if I connect my computer directly to the modem:

Capture58.PNG

And this is the speed I get if I connect (wired) to the R7000 router:

unnamed.jpg

I'm not concerned about the Wifi speed, and I'm also not asking to get exactly the same speed I get with a direct connection, but that's a huge difference.
Any ideas?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
rafakoy
Initiate

I was able to get full speed (around 930 Mbps) with the R7000, however, after spending hours with the router I can say without doubt, it's an unreliable router for Gigabit conextions. After a factory reset I get full speed, but if I attempt to make any change on the configuration of the router after that, like setting parental controls, etc, the speed automatically goes down to ~300Mbps. Bottom line, if anyone has problem traying to get Gigabit speeds with the R7000, do a hard reset and do not attemp to make any change in the configuration of the router other that WiFi names and passwords.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Do you have the WAN to LAN specification for the router - I suspect that is nowhere near the LAN to LAN speed (1000Gb/s)

Message 2 of 6
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Never mind.  I just found this reference indicating that the WAN to LAN speed is close to 1 Gb/s.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-as...

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Some users have reported that the R7000 and R8000 routers don't work well on Gb ISP speeds. Others have reported the the R7800 does. 

Message 4 of 6
rafakoy
Initiate

I was able to get full speed (around 930 Mbps) with the R7000, however, after spending hours with the router I can say without doubt, it's an unreliable router for Gigabit conextions. After a factory reset I get full speed, but if I attempt to make any change on the configuration of the router after that, like setting parental controls, etc, the speed automatically goes down to ~300Mbps. Bottom line, if anyone has problem traying to get Gigabit speeds with the R7000, do a hard reset and do not attemp to make any change in the configuration of the router other that WiFi names and passwords.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you make a change to any other area, the speeds drop? Interesting. Something NG should be made aware of. Seems like once a configuration is done, something maybe disabling the HW acceselerator. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7