Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 SLOWS WAY DOWN with Firmware 1.0.9.10 went back to 1.0.9.6 problem solved. Hold off on upd

DESMO1198s
Guide

Re: R7000 SLOWS WAY DOWN with Firmware 1.0.9.10 went back to 1.0.9.6 problem solved. Hold off on upd

To those who are reading this thread looking for a solution to your problem (should it be the same as mine) I apologize now as this response will have nothing that will help towards the solution. This is just a response to Mr. Kenward who has so started selective quoting in what could be perceived as trying to make me look less intelligent and unwilling to accept the suggestions of himself or others. So if its technically pertinent information you seek, please skip this post and maybe the next one will lead us all to the resolution.

Mr Kenward,

If you have been paying attention I have followed your advice in the beginning of this post. You said try a factory reset, and I did. Mr_DJ pointed me to an article about QoS settings. I tried those too. You are tagged with a router other than the R7000 and DJ doesn’t even have one listed. So why did I try these things? Because I’m smart enough to already know what you meant in your last post. Similar products (especially when from the same company and for the smae purpose) tend to respond the same way to fixes as other similar products. That’s why I used the words “SOMEONE” and “COULD” when I said “someone could call your…”Because I wasn’t saying they were pointless and I clearly was taking your advice thus far. I also know that yes most companies tend to be a bit vague or release details, however most that I know are more than happy to point out bug fixes. This is generally perceived as a sign that the company puts quality resources into ensuing their products are solid and up to date, and they don’t just throw something out there and hope for the best, then leave you hanging if it doesn’t work. This is why I didn’t feel any need to point out the fact that you don’t appear to be using the same model as I am. I’m going to try this again, because twice now you have clearly not read the complete post before responding to something. Try to keep up with me here.. I will start from the post when you quoted me saying “ I have not tried the latest Firmware 1.0.9.12 yet.” Then sproceded to say that makes my “complaint somewhat pointless”. If you want to call my actual fact based problem a “complaint”. That’s fine, as I’m sure if you did something that a person or company ask/told/recommended or suggested you do and it had a negative result, it’s fare to say you would be filing a complaint. However an actual issue (serious reduction in download speeds) supported by repeatable facts, is hard to classify as “somewhat pointless”. My other issue with your response is you missed the meaning of the word YET. That does not mean I have completely ruled out or refused to do the update. If you had read the complete post and not just quoted the first sentence you would have seen that I did in FACT say “ I may give it a shot later this weekend when I have time to tinker with it and/or uninstall it back to 1.0.9.9 if necessary” If you go back and look closely at the dates of the posts in this thread then compare them with a calendar you will see “this weekend” isn’t here yet…. So how do you now if I will or won’t try it “when I have time”? Also if you look at the calendar you will see that my previous post was dated October 2nd. Firmware version .12 was not released until the 9th or 7 days later. I had not looked on the site to know that Version .12 was released, I found out when ElaineM posted it on the 10th. Sooooo if I have the time this weekend, I will try the new firmware. If my DL and UL speeds stay where they are, I will absolutely keep in installed on my R7000. However IF they drop significantly and I am unable to bring them back up, via a factory reset, QoS or other setting tweaks. I will revert back to the most current firmware version that brings my router back up to its best performance. Sir. I am not stupid and I do recognize that you do in fact have some respectable technical skills. Just please sir do read the complete posts and ensure that you understand the meaning and context of the words, and phrases correctly before passing or implying judgement. So in closing I have tired everything suggested to me by yourself and others so far, EXCEPT the latest version of the firmware. I have clearly stated that “when I have the time” I will install whatever the latest firmware version released is. I will then report back to the forum what the results are. Thank you for the good advice in the beginning of this thread, I do appreciate it. My apologies on the various edits, i was writing that post in a moving vehicle. (no I wasn’t driving). Have a good day.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 37
DESMO1198s
Guide

Let latest Firmware version 1.9.0.12_1.2.23  has SOLVED my speed issues.  Both Upload and Download speeds are back up to full speed. Thank You ElaineM for posting that a new firmware version was released. The email notification generated from that post let me know it was available. 

Message 27 of 37
DESMO1198s
Guide

I had some free time and true to my word I did update to the latest Firmware V 1.9.0.12_1.2.23 and am pleased to report the issue has been resolved. No adjustments or tweaks necessary after update and performace is back to top notch.

Message 28 of 37
DESMO1198s
Guide

True to my word I did the update to 1.9.0.12_1.2.23 and am pleased to report I consider my issue to be fully resolved. 

Message 29 of 37
Banditz71
Aspirant

The latest version did NOT solve the speed issue......I had gone back to 1.0.7.10 and my speeds were back up to 400+ ( 400 / 40 connection ) ....  just installed the latest, and it's back down to around 150!

Message 30 of 37
DESMO1198s
Guide

It solved it for me. I have power cycled and rebooted ALL of my devices and all of them are fully back up to the same speed I was getting with 1.9.0.6. I did notice you had to roll back to a version other than .6 to bring your set up back to speed. So hard to determine if it’s your particular unit or something else. Keep us posted on when you find a solution. It’s how we all learn stuff.
Message 31 of 37

@Banditz71 wrote:

....  just installed the latest, and it's back down to around 150!

Sorry but "the latest" tells us not much.

Which version did you install? The numbers matter.

Did you factory reset thing after the update? The details matter.

Message 32 of 37
Banditz71
Aspirant

It doesn't??  The "latest"  = the "latest"  1.9.0.12_1.2.23 .... and No, did "factory reset" anything ..... why should that be necessary when going back to 1.7.10 resulted in FULL speed......when I get a chance, I'll try that......and let you know. 

Message 33 of 37

@Banditz71 wrote:

It doesn't??  The "latest"  = the "latest"  1.9.0.12_1.2.23 ....

This discussion has covered various "latest" versions. (Read the subject.) We are not mind readers.

@Banditz71 wrote:

No, did "factory reset" anything ..... why should that be necessary when going back to 1.7.10 resulted in FULL speed......

Because that is sometimes necessary, especially when there are problems with new firmware. That's how things work.

The fact that the new firmware bailed out some users (see above) suggests that it is nuts not to do everything to see if a reset fixes things for you too.

But the choice is yours. If version 1.7.10 suits you, fine.

Message 34 of 37

Hi  MichaelkenwardBanditz71, 

I have found what the problem is that the internet speed is slow with current firmware update 1.9.0.12_1.2.23.

It has nothing to do with QOS or reset factory settings !!!!!

Please try to enable the option "turn on access control" and you will see that the download speed will go down.

I am now back until this problem is solved to version 1.0.7.10_1.2.3.

I also don't like how the communication on this forum is. 

People are blaming each other in stead of fixing the problem.

I hope that it will be solved ASAP. 

Regards

Antonio

Message 35 of 37

@Antonio_Cardile wrote:
Please try to enable the option "turn on access control" and you will see that the download speed will go down.

Nice find. Can anyone else confirm this? More evidence piles the pressure on Netgear to fix things.

People are blaming each other in stead of fixing the problem.

I see  no sign of that. All the discussion is about the things that users can try in their attempts to work out what is going on.It is based on a history of watching the same, or similar, problems turning up time after time.

That some people don't provide detailed and full and accurate information, such as the firmware version they have, simply forces users to use guesswork that wastes of their time.

Message 36 of 37
compaholic
Aspirant

Having the same problem with V1.0.9.10 and V1.0.9.12 the Wifi slows down to 43-44Mbps max.  It doesnt matter what the Wifi device is, Samsung Galaxy S7, Galaxy S8+, iPad Air 1, and Air 2 in the house all max at that speed.

When I downgrade back to V1.0.9.6_1.2.19 the download speeds max 215-230Mbps (I have the 200Mbps plan with Comcast)

I do not use the QoS feature, it was disabled before the updates.

Access Control is not enabled.

What gives?

Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7