Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Security Question Reset

klcardinali
Follower

R7000 Security Question Reset

My husband and I have never reset the defaults on our router.  "admin" and "password" don't work as it asks us to answer two questions we never reset.  How can I gain access to the software to set up a Google Nest Speaker set?  

Extremely frustrated as this is an issue on both of our routers and Netgear wants to charge us to fix this known issue.  Before I go through the hard reset process, I would appreciate any help the community can provide.  

Thank you!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

At a certain firmware version, it required the login info to be changed when you logged into it. Not sure which version it was. 

Maybe one of you forgot doing it. 

The sad part is that it still asks the security questions when you do the forgot password option even if you didn't set them up. Meaning there's no correct answer. 

If you don't know the answers (or didn't set them up), then factory resetting would be your option to get back in. Sorry. 

Message 2 of 3

@plemans wrote:

The sad part is that it still asks the security questions when you do the forgot password option even if you didn't set them up. Meaning there's no correct answer. 

Oh so true.

There is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process. If you haven't already given the thing your personal answers, they are not in its memory and it has no way of knowing if they are correct.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7