• 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

R7000 Signal Strength

I am just curious, how good is the R7000 signal strength in a 6,000 sq ft house or a large house? How much better is the signal strength of the R7000 compared to R6300v2?
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Signal Strength

Come on anyone? I just need to know if R7000 has better signal strength then R6300v2?
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

I don't have a R6300v2 to compare to, but I was able to get a signal from my R7000 two to three houses away in each direction.
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Virtuoso

The usual recommendation is to buy the R7000 someplace that allows returns, and just try it out at your place. If it doesn't meet your needs, return it. The results at my house aren't going to say much about what the results at your house will be. I can say that the R7000 has the strongest wireless that I've experienced, but without having had an R6300v2 cannot give a relative evaluation.

However, with a house the size of yours, depending on the layout (number of floors, floor plan), materials used in construction, and where the router is in your house, I'd be prepared to have an Access Point (AP) in addition to any of the routers that I've used to get coverage in your whole house. That's a lot of square feet. The R7000 covers my whole house well, but it's only a 2000 square foot, standard wood and sheetrock house. And 2 stories, so it is less spread out than a single-story 2000 sq. ft. house would be.
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I agree... that is some huge house to cover.

It is bad for people to think single wireless router can 100% cover the house. There is limitation to the what FCC regulates on consumer line can allow to use on signal power output.

I just see R8000 has now six antenna. Wow..
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

I do not expect the R7000 to cover 100% of the house. I just want to know if the R7000 has better signal strength than R6300v2. I am considering getting a R7000 if it has better signal, I have to put my R6300v2 numerous times in a crazy position to get the best possible signal but it is still not good enough. More than 60ft away from the R6300v2 I would get -54dbm in the crazy position but when the router is not in the crazy position the signal will be a lot lower. I don't encourage people to put their router in a crazy position but I do it to improve the signal.
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Virtuoso

-54dbm is marginally good number so if you can keep that around the house placing multiple AP would be good.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The r7000 has better coverage no doubt and you may squeak by with one r7000 placed in the right location, if you're using 2.4 but 5g will be a problem for portable devices from what I have experienced.
Message 8 of 8