Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Slow Download Speeds with New Fiber Optic - Previously Fine

okieopie
Tutor

R7000 Slow Download Speeds with New Fiber Optic - Previously Fine

I just had fiber optic installed in my home but am having trouble with throughput on my router. Previously I had cable internet and would get speeds that were consistent with what I was getting from the modem. However, now that I have the fiber optic my speeds have plummeted both wired and wireless.

The speed directly from the ONT reads 275 down and 265 up. But if I plug the same CAT5 cable into the R7000 I get a speed of 91 down and 95 up. The speed is the same in both wired connection and wireless.

I have QOS Off and have looked through about every other solution that I can find but none seem to work. The only thing I haven't tried is going back to a previous Firmware Version. My present Version is 1.0.11.128_10.2.112.

The thing I don't understand is that previously with the cable internet my download speeds were fine from the R7000 - usually around 220. But it is only since switching to the fiber optic feed have the speeds dropped.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 Slow Download Speeds with New Fiber Optic - Previously Fine

Try replacing the cable between modem/router. I've seen sketchy cables connect at gigabit on some devices and only 10/100mbps on others. 

You can also check in the router if its connecting at gigabit. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Try replacing the cable between modem/router. I've seen sketchy cables connect at gigabit on some devices and only 10/100mbps on others. 

You can also check in the router if its connecting at gigabit. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 2 of 5
okieopie
Tutor

The Statistics show the WAN Status as 100M/Full - which I guess explains the slow slow connection. Is there a setting to change?

Message 3 of 5
okieopie
Tutor

Just tried changing the CAT5 cable. Improved the speed immensely. Now getting 275 down. Thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

I'd toss that other cable in the garbage and not back in the "cable bin". 

Like I said, I've seen some cables that work fine on some devices at gigabit but then on others, will only connect at 10/100mbps speeds. Tends to be sketchy cables. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7