Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Slow Ethernet and Wifi

lhorigan
Aspirant

R7000 Slow Ethernet and Wifi

Hello, I am having trouble getting reasonable speeds from my new nighthawk R7000 router. I purchased this router as it supports PPPoE login, and VLAN tagging for Centurylink Fiber internet. We have gigabit service, and the stock hardware they set us up with isn't powerful enough for our house. 

I have had no luck getting speeds as close to the stock router they gave us. I'm seeing 550/600 mbps down/up from the stock router. The nighthawk does 200/200 at best, and is generally around there. I have tried the following:

-Disabling QoS

-Disabling 5ghz network

-Changing the channel to the best recommended in the app

-Rolling firmware back to 1.0.9.64

-Updating firmware to 1.0.9.88

-Disabling traffic metere

-Disabling 20/40 mhz coexistence

The most impactful change was rolling the firmware back to .64 which got me maybe another 50mbps up and down. I'm running out of ideas, and am pretty close to just sending this router back as it's not able to reach the speeds I am expecting.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
spowellau
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Slow Ethernet and Wifi

I battled with my R7000 for a couple of years and was about to bin it for a new router. I was getting anywhere from 1Mbps on a bad day up to 30Mbps after restarting the router. As a last ditch effort I replaced the Netgear firmware with AdvancedTomato and now get 90+ Mbps on my 100Mbps Internet connection. I am running version 3.5-140, not only is it much faster and more configurable but also has more visibility of what's going on under the hood, device throughput, CPU/RAM usage, temperatures etc.

https://advancedtomato.com/downloads/router/r7000

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
JWS9518
Apprentice

I suggest try rolling back to .42 or earlier firmware...as it has been well documented in the forums that firmware after .42 has had issues for many people.

Message 2 of 5
lhorigan
Aspirant

@JWS9518 wrote:

I suggest try rolling back to .42 or earlier firmware...as it has been well documented in the forums that firmware after .42 has had issues for many people.

I will give this a shot this evening. Seems strange that as they move forward it seems to be getting worse and worse. I'll let you know how it goes.

Message 3 of 5
spowellau
Aspirant

I battled with my R7000 for a couple of years and was about to bin it for a new router. I was getting anywhere from 1Mbps on a bad day up to 30Mbps after restarting the router. As a last ditch effort I replaced the Netgear firmware with AdvancedTomato and now get 90+ Mbps on my 100Mbps Internet connection. I am running version 3.5-140, not only is it much faster and more configurable but also has more visibility of what's going on under the hood, device throughput, CPU/RAM usage, temperatures etc.

https://advancedtomato.com/downloads/router/r7000

Message 4 of 5
lhorigan
Aspirant

Hey, thank you so much for your response. I would have loved to try the advancedtomato firmware. Fortunately, I returned my R7000 and an still searching for the right device for our home. Appreciate your time responding to my post.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7