Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Slow download speed (wired and wireless)

Pisklink
Aspirant

R7000 Slow download speed (wired and wireless)

I have the R7000 for about a year now and originally I had the correct download and upload speeds that corresponds with my ISP rates.

At this moment my ISP (cable) delivers 120 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up.

However I read a news article on a computer website that my ISP would start increasing the down speed to 150 Mbps and that in some regions this was already availabe.

Therefore I unplugged my modem and plugged it again after a minute of 2 in order to restart/reset and hoped for the higher down speed.

When I used several speedtesters (speedtest.net, my ISP speedtester, speedtest.nl, etc.) all came to the same result, approx. 90 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up.

Yesterday I conducted these test on 2 separate wired computer (HTPC and desktop).

After connecting my HTPC directly to the modem and performing the test I got the correct advertised speeds (120 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up).

Therefore it is certainly related to the router.

Today I also tried speedtest.net by Ookla on my Galaxy S5 with wireless 5G and got the same bad results as with the wired connection (90 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up).

I'm also on a channel that is not occupied by another user.

I also noticed that the highest firmware version on the support site of the R7000 is 1.0.4.30, however when I look in the upper right corner of the web UI of the router it shows firmware version V1.0.5.48_1.1.79.

How is that possible?

Moreover next to the advanced settings tab, there is a message indicating that there is a new firmware available.

When I click this message the router tries to connect to the Netgear-server to download the firmware but after a few seconds it tells me that there is no new firmware available.

I read here on the forum some other people having similar problems and tried to downgrade to a lower firmware version.

But I couldn't find an answer that mentioned one firmware version that works best.

My questions:

1) What would be the first best thing to try?

2) When reverting back to a previous firmware, what is the best firmware to choose?

3) What is the correct procedure for reverting firmware?

P.S. For your information upload and download QoS is always disabled.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Pisklink
Aspirant

The RMA indeed resolved the issue.

P.S. I accidently marked the answer of Tarund as the answer to my question.

Can you please remove that?

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
tarund
Apprentice

Answer to your questions:

The firmware you're on now has been pulled by Netgear because two bugs were identified in the latest firmwares (1.0.5.*** and 1.0.6.***); both were pulled by Netgear. Also, Netgear did not identiy what was wrong with those firmwares. The latest version available, 1.0.4.30, has been known to be the most stable so far. Downgrade process below:

• Factory reset your router first on your current firmware version,1.0.5.48_1.1.79
  • After initial setup, downgrade firmware to 1.0.4.30
  • Factory reset again
  • Setup your router again as if it was a brand new router

If you still have issues, very possible your ISP could be having issues as well in your area. I would recommend calling them to check if any maintenance work or if any performance degradation is being reported in your area.

Message 2 of 11
Pisklink
Aspirant

It would have been nice if Netgear would have notified me in the router web interface that the firmware was pulled, as they do with new firmware notifications.

Nonetheless I tried what you suggested but without any result.

I even tried the following:

• I also tried FW 1.0.4.28 after downgrading to 1.0.4.30
  • Factory reset
  • Speedtest with wired connection, but no success (exact same results as before)
  • Performed a reboot from web interface (192.168.1.1) with FW 1.0.4.28, no success
  • Speedtest with wired connection, but no success (exact same results as before)
  • Downgraded to FW 1.0.3.56
  • Factory reset
  • Performed a reboot from web interface (192.168.1.1) with FW 1.0.3.56, no success
  • Tried switching LAN port on router, no success / same results

For your information after each factory reset I left the settings at stock settings when performing the speedtest.

That's also the reason I didn't perform a factory reset anymore between each downgrade as described above because before each downgrade it just had a factory reset a few seconds before.

I also connected my desktop directly to the modem and EUREKA, I have immediately 120 Mbps download at my disposal.

Therefore it must be the router!

I'm affraid it's broken because I have no clue anymore.

Any ideas?

Message 3 of 11
Pisklink
Aspirant

Anybody any additional ideas?

Message 4 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi Pisklink,

1. You may try changing the mtu size of the router.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19863/~/ping-test-to-determine-optimal-mtu-size-on-rou...

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24015/~/how-do-i-change-the-mtu-size-on-my-nighthawk-r...

2. Try disabling the QoS and see if the same performance.

3. If you have tried all the firmwares available in support site, you may want to try the beta firmware for R7000.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/any-new-info-or-update-to-new-firmware/td-p/...

Message 5 of 11
Pisklink
Aspirant

I checked the optmial MTU size according the link you posted and it seems that in DOS prompt the ideal MTU size is 1472.

With the MTU size of 1472 I won't get fragmented anymore.

Adding the 28 overhead results in the standard MTU size of 1500.

I always have QoS disabled.

I will check the Beta FW.

However I did receive a RMA request yesterday after calling with the Netgear helpdesk and will check that first.

Message 6 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi Pisklink,

Provide us update if RMA resolves your concern.

Message 7 of 11
Pisklink
Aspirant

The RMA indeed resolved the issue.

P.S. I accidently marked the answer of Tarund as the answer to my question.

Can you please remove that?

Message 8 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi Pisklink,

Glad to know it works now. The post is no longer tagged as accepted solution. I will tagged your reply as the accepted solution.

Message 9 of 11
Fitz11
Tutor

What's RMA. I'm having similar issues
Message 10 of 11
Pisklink
Aspirant

RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization

It means that Netgear allows you to send you product back and get it repaired or replaced by a similar product.

But please don't send you product back without having received a RMA number from Netgear.

You should formally get a RMA number from Netgear before returning your product.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7