Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Solid Amber Power LED

Scii264
Aspirant

R7000 Solid Amber Power LED

Today, I upgraded to an AX router and replaced my R7000. The R7000 has been working great, I just got a free AX router and wanted to mess around with Wifi 6. I decided I would use the R7000 as a repeater in my garage, and configured it to do so. But, on reboot after config, it ran into some issues. I'm decently tech-savvy, but networking is still new to me, so I appreciate your patience. 

Now, the power LED stays solid amber, and the router reboots on its own about every minute. I've power cycled, tried a 30-sec reset button press, a 30-30-30 reset, and I obviously can't connect via software to reset it.

I'm guessing it's a corrupted firmware issue. So I followed the TFTP firmware upload via Windows as described here , but I received a "connect request fails" error. The instructions say to wait for the power LED to start flashing, but that obviously isn't possible because that's my issue!

I'm confused that I set my static IP and gateway address to 192.168.1.1 (because I configured the IP to 192.168.1.25 when switching to repeater mode ). I don't know if that matters for this, but I tried a bunch of configurations in IPv4 settings with no luck.

Is the router bricked for good? I can't believe that simply changing it to repeater mode would permanently brick it, but if that's what happened, it would be good to know so I can stop wasting my time.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7000 Solid Amber Power LED

A 10 second press and release should be all that's needed on the reset button. If you don't get a 192.168.1.something with a wired PC connected, something has gone bad. 

I'd check in to another power adapter block to see if this could be an issue. If after this, the router doesn't come to ready after a reset press, I guess it's a goner. 

Message 2 of 5
wcalifas
Prodigy

I agree could be a bad power adapter, or corrupt firmware. 

Message 3 of 5
Scii264
Aspirant

I did try another adapter, no luck. Still no change on software access, so I'm guessing it's a goner. Thanks for your help!
Message 4 of 5
wcalifas
Prodigy

It might just have its firmware corrupt (bricked). You can unbrick it with tftp method.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7