Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Speed Issue

Ralo14
Tutor

R7000 Speed Issue

I just upgraded my modem and plan, now I have 400 down and 20 up. I have had the R7000 for a while and was using it on a 200 down plan with zero issues. The new modem is CM600. When I am wired directly to the modem I am getting an average of around 385 down but when I am hardwired or wireless through the router the max down speed I have seen is 160. My router was on the firmware version 1.0.9.88 but I upgraded to 1.0.11.116 to try and fix my problem.

I have seen some threads where people switched back to older firmware and that fixed the issue but I have seen different ones mentions. I also saw a thread mentioning QOS speedtest and disable but I am also getting slow speeds there. Any ideas on what I should do from here?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 Speed Issue

you can try the 1.0.9.42 or the 1.0.11.116

but make sure you factory reset and do a new install with either. (don't install from a backup)

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
Ralo14
Tutor

I have now updated to 1.0.9.42 and have seen a small speed increase but it is minimal compared to what it should be (205 max).

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

Are you testing hardwired or wireless? 

Also, did you do a factory reset and new install? 

During the install make sure to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled

Message 3 of 9
Ralo14
Tutor

I’ve tested both ways with minimal difference. I have not done a factory reset yet because I don’t want to have to redo all my port settings. As for those other things I never have them on anyways. Should I factory reset from the rear button or through the interface? What firmware version should I be installing?
Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

resetting either through the button or the gui works. 

Just don't install a backup configuration. the R7000 firmware changed significantly.

Before setting up all your configurations, just do the minimal install and check the speed. 

Message 5 of 9
Ralo14
Tutor

The factory firmware is the one I should stay with? If the reset doesn’t fix my speed what should be the next thing I try?
Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

you can try the 1.0.9.42 or the 1.0.11.116

but make sure you factory reset and do a new install with either. (don't install from a backup)

Message 7 of 9
Ralo14
Tutor

The factory reset helped get my speeds back. What am I losing security wise by just keeping the older firmware?

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

There's quite a few security fixes that have been put out since then. 

Are they concerning? 

Potentially. Everyones exposure is different. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7