Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 (Speed is less than half compared to Verizon router)

splitty_
Aspirant

R7000 (Speed is less than half compared to Verizon router)

Recently upgraded to the gigabit connection offered by Verizon fios. I been using the R7000 as my primary router and using the fios(modem/router combo) as more of a modem as I turned off the wireless features. After upgrading from 50/50 to this new Internet plan I noticed that I was not getting full speeds when connected to lan on the netgear. Currently I have the new gateway fios router in bridge mode and the netgear in AP mode. When directly plugging in to the fios modem/router I get speeds of around 900Mbps. When I connect the same cable(cat6 from my pc to router) to the netgear router (netgear is connected to the fios router with a cat6 cable) I get speeds around 350Mbps. Why is the netgear router cutting my speeds by more than half. I tested the cable connecting the netgear and the fios router and when using that cable to connect directly to my pc to the fios router I get the speeds around 900Mbps. So the cable is fine, it has to do with netgear router.
Thanks for any help
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
splitty_
Aspirant

Re: R7000 (Speed is less than half compared to Verizon router)

So turn off AP mode and run just router mode as well as connecting with LAN instead of the WAN port? Just to clarify. Thanks

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

AP mode disables hardware acceleration.  Try connecting the R7000 to the network through one of its LAN ports.  This will bypass the slow path between the WAN and LAN ports.  IOW, don't use the WAN port.  You may lose the ability to log into the R7000.  Just reconnect the WAN port when you need to log in.

Message 2 of 7
splitty_
Aspirant

So turn off AP mode and run just router mode as well as connecting with LAN instead of the WAN port? Just to clarify. Thanks
Message 3 of 7
splitty_
Aspirant

I just connected the cable to the LAN port instead of the WAN port and the speeds are much more like what I should be getting. Seeing about 700-800 now. Thank you!
Message 4 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Glad you got it working.  To answer your prior question, running it in router mode will also work but you have to disable the DHCP server.  There's no need to do this; as you have already seen, it also works in AP mode.

Message 5 of 7
JMRtitan
Aspirant

I'm also having the same issue just got Verizon fios gigabit internet an having that same problem can you please explain to me what you did to fix it thank you 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 7
splitty_
Aspirant

Hi, I just plugged the cable from my Verizon router into the LAN port on the Netgear instead of the yellow internet (WAN) port. Then I did a speed test and got 850+Mbps down
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7