Re: R7000 Stable Firmware?

Imthedude
Aspirant

R7000 Stable Firmware?

So it seemes like the current firmware situation with this router is a mess. Is there a "last known good" version, one thats generally agreed to be stable & functional?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 51
microchip8
Master

At this point, I suggest installing Tomato instead. It's reasonably kept up-to-date. With stock firmware, if you go back, you'll be chosing a working firmware with known security issues. If you keep at the current firmware, you'll have the security issues fixed but functionality will be poor

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 2 of 51
antinode
Guru

> [...] generally agreed to be stable & functional?

Who determines "general agreement"?  So far as I can see, they're all
perfectly "stable".  I've never seen one change after it was released.
"functional" may depend on which functions you use.

Why not run the experiment?

Message 3 of 51
Imthedude
Aspirant

Well from what I’ve read there is a lot of people with issues, especially with WiFi disconnection.
Message 4 of 51
hushcoden
Luminary

Tomato reasonably up-to-date? Last release dates back May 2017...

I am using the latest version, v1.0.9.32 and so far (10 days) I have had no problems whatsoever...

DD-WRT is the only reasonable alternative to stock firmware...

Message 5 of 51
eddieb187
Guide

Every Firmware Update I have tried since version 1.0.9.14 has significantly degraded 5GHz wireless throughput. Each time I upgraded the Firmware I perform a Full Factory Reset, and then I manually re-enter all my settings. My ISP is Spectrum (aka  Time Warner Cable) and I have 200 Mbps download speeds via a cable modem.
Wired download speed tests are always above 200 Mbps with each firmware update. The problem seems to be related to Wifi only.
I get 200 Mbps download speed with firmware version V1.0.9.14_1.2.25 using the 5GHz Wireless with most of my mobile devices.
With subsequent firmware versions I am lucky to reach 30 Mbps. We should not have to use an older firmware for the router function properly.
Why is Wireless throughput so degraded and slow with each new firmware?
I really wish Netgear would address this Firmware issue.
Netgear makes great hardware but their router firmware not so much.

Message 6 of 51
HisGrace
Guide

I have upgraded to current firmware and downgraded to as far back as R7000-V1.0.3.68_1.1.31 and I still have slow wireless and ethernet speeds.  Each time I reset back to factory BEFORE updating the firmware.  After each update, I have tested the speed before making any changes to the settings.  Usually, the speeds are good.  I change the settings and speeds usually remain good.  However, a day or sometimes hours go by and the speed is half what it should be on both wireless and ethernet.  
I am looking at alternative firmware, either Tomato or DD-WRT.  This is totally unacceptable!  I have been in IT services for over 30 years.  I have recommended Netgear for most of those years.  

NO MORE!  I do not know who is running the show at Netgear but they should be fired!  This has been an issue for a way long time. 

The only conclusion I have reached is that it is intentional.  The R7000 is built well and will last a long time.  So in order to get customers into a new router is to cripple it through firmware updates.  No other plausible explanation IMO.

Message 7 of 51
eddieb187
Guide

Try firmware V1.0.9.14_1.2.25 - install it and then do a factory reset.

This version is stable and does not exhibit slow Wifi or Ethernet speeds.

I agree with you. Don't understand why Netgear firmware is so buggy.

Why Netgear cannot release a current firmware that does not break something is mystery.

Message 8 of 51
HisGrace
Guide

No change for me. No better but no worse. Ethernet or wireless 5G I get half or less than what I am getting from the modem.
Oh, I am only on a 150Mbs svc from Cox. Some speculated that it only affected the higher does. Nope, me too.
My upload is correct. Download is about 33% of what it should be. Sucks!
Message 9 of 51
HisGrace
Guide

I originally called Netgear when this started. Have them my card for the support fee. They would only charge it if they fixed my problem. They did the same as I had already done. Remoted into the router and rest a bunch of stuff.
Conclusion, they could not fix. Recommended I get a new router. This is to old. Did not charge my card.
So that is why I suspect this is intentional to get people to buy new routers. If they don't how will they keep there market share. Maybe they are losing market share and that is driving this.
This BS will certainly cause loss of market share.
Message 10 of 51
eddieb187
Guide

Really? I'm surprised. I use my own cable modem with Spectrum (aka TWC).

My Internet plan is 200 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up.

I just tested my wired ethernet speed and got over 230 down and 11 up.

I also ran several 5G Wifi tests with my phone an S8+ and I get anywhere from 170 to 210 down.

Still on V1.0.9.14_1.2.25 - I have tried many other firmware version and all degrade 5G Wifi.

Message 11 of 51
eddieb187
Guide

Could be a hardware issue who knows. But Netgear firmware is a known problem as well.

When the new Routers with WPA3 release next year I will not buy another Netgear Router.

I will definitely try another manufacturer. Mainly because of Netgear firmware.

It's a shame, Netgear makes great hardware and I really like their network products.

They need to get some new software developers.

Message 12 of 51
Imthedude
Aspirant

FWIW, I flashed & am currently still running a fork of Merlins firmware called Xwrt-Vortex, version 384.5. It seems to be stable and i have ran many speedtests over the past month and have not noticed any slowdowns.

Message 13 of 51
HiSpeed
Guide

Hi,

1.0.7.6_1.1.99 is the more reliable for me !

● Netgear R7000 (Root Router)
● TP-Link Archer C7 v2 (WDS Bridge)

Message 14 of 51
DontBlink
Tutor

I am by no means disagreeing with you, just seems like if they were doing it on purpose it would have the opposite effect. It will cause us to buy non Netgear products. I have been having issues with QOS since the Advisory.

Security Advisory for Post-Authentication Command Injection on Some Gateways and Routers, PSV-2017-2248

Device and priority naming have become non usable. Not sure if this was their "fix." They do seem to "fix" issues by "unfixing" other perfectly functioning router options. 

Message 15 of 51
myersw
Master

Had to laugh out loud. There is no such thing as stable firmware for this router. IMHO the firmware engineers are not even aware of what they are supporting. Again, IMHO, the engineers seem to not have a clue as to what is the problems with the Netgear firmware. 

I have sold my Netgear routers and suggest you do the same or return to point of purchase for a refund and get something other then Netgear.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 16 of 51
dtk
Tutor
Tutor

I just wasted 2 days on the latest firmware just released, "drop drop drop the connection", the stupid Classic Top 100 hit here it seems. Rolled back to 1.0.9.20_1.2.28 and all is well for me.  

Message 17 of 51
Rhyalus
Apprentice

I am not sure where to go at this point...  I have version V1.0.8.34_1.2.15 and could not have been happier.  I NEVER have problems...  Is there a suggested version (if not the latest) that is not vulnerable to this VPN filter thing?

Otherwise, maybe I should just reboot the router weekly to avoid advanced phases of the security issue?

Thanks,

R

Message 18 of 51
Ozoldhack
Aspirant

This router drops its wifi all the time
The only way to stabilise it has been to turn it into a Wireless access point

Updating firmware should only be done by a wired connection
Message 19 of 51
Bbmom2016
Aspirant

Recently upgraded firmware on router. I'm now on firmware 1.0.9.42_10.2.44. I have never had issues with dropping of internet connection since I purchased r7000 nighthawk, until I made this update. How can I get an earlier version of firmware for this router?
Message 20 of 51
Bbmom2016
Aspirant

How can I get that version of firmware? I'm having problem after my router updated to1.0.9.
Message 21 of 51
Bbmom2016
Aspirant

How do I get that version of firmware? I've had nothing but problems since mine updated to 1.0.9.42_10.2.44. Thanks
Message 22 of 51
Ozoldhack
Aspirant

This version I have found to be most stable.

NB I have given up using this piece of equipment as a router. I am using a Dlink DSL/Modem router as my primary router with no wififaccess and am using the r7000 as the wireless access point.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000-V1.0.9.10_1.2.21.zip

Suggest if your PC has a wireless connection that you disable it, and perform the upgrade using an an ethernet cable.

Perform a factory reset using the pin/button on the back

Then configure your  router as an WAP disable

Ensure to disbale automatic updates.

Message 23 of 51
HisGrace
Guide

When configured as a WAP how are your wireless and ethernet throughput speeds? 

I am also giving up on NETGEAR FOREVER!  They have become the worst excuse for customer service that I have ever experienced in my 30+ years of IT business! 

Not taking responsibility for issues.

Not responding to their own Community forum.

Not even acknowledging an issue.

When I called in and paid for Support they could not fix the problem and recommended that I just go buy a new router.  Even though this only happened after a firmware update.  "NOT THEIR PROBLEM".

A few here have been fortunate with this router.  Many have not and I am one.  NG does NOT address the issue or are too incompetent to do so.

I am of the belief that the firmware updates are an effort at "designed obsolescence" and are intentional.  If it were not for the few that are not having the issue.

I will NEVER recommend, use, buy or sell another NETGEAR piece of equipment.  NEVER!   

Message 24 of 51
antinode
Guru

> [...] How can I get an earlier version of firmware for this router?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  Under Firmware and Software Downloads, if you want some
previous version, then look for "View Previous Versions".  Find the
kit(s).  Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file
for instructions.

Message 25 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements