Re: R7000 Stable Firmware?

Spliffaholic
Aspirant

I 100% agree with everyone in this thread that the r7000 is a complete POS... This is definitely the last Netgear product I purchase. I have had nothing but problems with this router. Constant disconnects, poor wifi speeds, router crashes when transferring large files over the network (lol)... The list goes on. I have tried many different firmware versions on this thing and where one version fixes an issue, two other issues arise. WTF is wrong with Netgear... I have contacted support and it has been laughably useless. I am currently trying to sell this junk so I can find something better. I wish I could get back all the wasted time I tried troubleshooting this stupd thing.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 51
NGDi
Guide

Did you try the latest firmware (1.0.9.60)?

Message 27 of 51
Spliffaholic
Aspirant

I tried  firmware (1.0.9.60) and had many problems, slow speeds and when I tried transfering large files over WiFi my connection would drop. Also, my Netflix on Chromecast was acting up all the time and I constantly had to reboot the router or close and relaunch Netflix because it would freeze or malfunction. On V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 I didn't have these problems.

As for the WiFi connection drop,  I looked into it and it looks like it was a caching issue. Once it becomes full the WiFi crashes and then dumps the cache. After that, the WiFi reconnects and sometimes continues the transfer or the transfer fails. Transfering a 10GB file (Not that big) this would happen several times. Transfers are totally fine on ethernet and I have no issues.

I had to flash back to V1.0.9.42_10.2.44, but on that firmware my WiFi speeds sometimes come to a crawl (A least a few times a week) and I have to reboot the router to fix it. At least the WiFi doesn't crash on this older firmware when transfering a large file but I have to constantly micro-manage the router now to check to see if my speeds are working correctly.

Nothing but problems...

Does anyone know of a STABLE firmware that does not have all of these sorts of issues? 

Message 28 of 51
NGDi
Guide

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will have to look into other brands then...

Do you had the oportunity to talk with their support about this issues?

Message 29 of 51
dtk
Tutor
Tutor

I'm on the latest 1.0.9.60 without any issues.  Be sure to fully reset and re-build manually

Message 30 of 51
Spliffaholic
Aspirant

Yes, I have talked to their support many times in the past but the only responses I got were generic ones. Reboot the router, reset to factory, try a different firmware, blah blah blah.

None of it was useful or something I hadn't already tried before. 

Thanks for the suggestion about " Be sure to fully reset and re-build manually". I did this, updated the firmware and factory reset. Then I re-setup all my settings and I still had the same issues. 

One thing I haven't done yet is factory reset, update the firmware and factory reset again. I read somewhere that someone suggested this but I didn't think it was completely necessary. Why would I reset, update firmware and then re-reset? I may try it to see if it actually works when I get some time.

Message 31 of 51
NGDi
Guide

Thanks for the feedback. It's nice to find someone that isn't having problems. The problem is that there is a big number of people with issues here on the forum, so I don't know if it's a safe bet...

I will wait to see if more people gets their problems fixed, I can't buy something full of problems...

Message 32 of 51
Rhyalus
Apprentice

As I mentioned in my previous post, V1.0.8.34_1.2.15 has been damned near perfect for me.

I never have drop outs, etc.  I reboot occasionally due to the security flaw that was warned about a while back.  To me, it is less likely that my router has been hacked than the certainty of having a problem by changing the firmware.

If anyone is about to throw this router out, I would do a factory reset and go to 1.08 as a last ditch effort.  I don't know why a firmware revision would be stable for one machine and not for all (?).

R

Message 33 of 51
Spliffaholic
Aspirant

OK great, thanks Rhyalus, I will give that version a shot. 

Message 34 of 51
Kitsap
Luminary

Some lessons learned the hard way for router firmware updates.

Always connect to the router via an ethernet cable and a computer through a web browser.

Make sure no other equipment is plugged in to the router via ethernet cable, USB, or connected to the router via Wi-Fi.  Disconnect the router from the internet.

After the firmware update is flashed, reset the router to factory settings.  You may need to repeat both items a second time.

Configure your router settings from the ground up.  Make certain your clear the cache on your web browser before you start.

My setup: Comcast -> Netgear CM2050V -> Netgear R7800 (Voxel v. 1.0.2.89SF)

Message 35 of 51
NGDi
Guide

Kitsap, are you happy with your R7000? No problems with the latest firmware?

Message 36 of 51
Kitsap
Luminary

@NGDi wrote:

Kitsap, are you happy with your R7000? No problems with the latest firmware?

I am running firmware R7000-V1.0.9.28_10.2.32.  My router is a couple of years old.  It was primarily purchased for the OpenVPN feature.  I do not enable any of the shiney features, Qos, Circle, etc.

My configuration is part way complex and I do not launch into a reconfiguration without good cause.  May undertake upgrade to the .42 version of the firmware later in the month.

I am fine with the hardware but it is getting a long in the tooth.  At this time I cannot justify putting another $ into a Netgear product.

My setup: Comcast -> Netgear CM2050V -> Netgear R7800 (Voxel v. 1.0.2.89SF)

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 37 of 51
Ozoldhack
Aspirant

This is the most expensive paperweight I own.

No matter which  it is configured the WIFI just disbales itself after 24 hours.

It is not firmware issue. I have run this router using tomato and factory firmware. It just turns the Wifi off during the middle of the night.

What is really annoying is when the WIFIi magically disables, the WIFI LED remains on, but the WIFI  devices cannot see it. The only way to connect to it is via wired LAN connection.

All Updates are performed via direct wired connection.

The only way it has been able to made barely functional as WIFI is using tomato where you can frce the router to be rebooted via set schedule.

I am now using my Apple airport express (which bought to play music via myold stereo)  as the primary WIFI provider in my house.With six people in my house it managed upto 15 simultaneous connection and  never misses a beat. the Sh**B*x netgear R7000 is used as switch for my wired devices.

Message 38 of 51
VonZippySays
Aspirant

So I'd like to start with the routers I've owned from Netgear.

R6250 6300 7000 7500 7800
Even some in between cheepo ones that I don't mention but I bought them for a good pupose.

The chipsets used in Netgears Router Line ups are some of the best.
Performance Benchmarks show that some of the fastest WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN transfers bench on some of Netgear Routers.

Specifically the R7000 has been noted to top out at near 940 Mbit transfers Lan to Wan and Ive been able to acheive 850Mb Downlink speed when connecting to the 5G WiFi at 1300Mb AC from my Mac Book Pro 2015 model.
Now that test I mention that I did was with the router in Access Point Mode. In Routing mode with QoS disabled and factory reset I could push about 550 Down.
This is still good performance for most.
I'm running a custom 5th gen Intel router running Pfsense with a LAG 2Gb pipe to my Motorola MB8600.
ISP is Wave 1Gb service.
I have clocked my Downloads directly connected Lan port on R7000 at 940Mb easy.

So what is truth about stock routers from Netgear:
1) Time of release the firmware was designed for the hardware.
2) Additional features and security causes more tasks on the CPU. There is no way around it.
Deep packet inspection and QoS negates the Hardware accelleration built into the networking chipsets and reroutes those processes to the Processer.
3) You guys are complaining about a router that is like 4 years old or more.. talk about out dated. Is your computer that old?
4) This router is excellent as a Access Point, one of the best, but the processor and instruction on board are not intended for today's routing needs.

Recommendation: Downgrade to a stable firmware version, and use as an access point. Buy a dedicated router or buy another WiFi Router to replace this archaic master piece. Please stop complaining about it and just fit it.

I came to this conclusion when I realized no home router on the market has the capability to push millions of packets per second or multiple millions per second, that is required when reaching 1GB speeds.
The Ethernet standard for 1Gb headers even reduce total throughput to around 940, so technically I'm hitting theroetical max on this device over Lan port and unheard of Wireless speeds, (previously**)
If your connecting 20-40 network devices in your home even 10-20, get dedicated router.
If your using VPN then Intel is a must for ecryption decryption hardware accelleration. I can easily hit over 500 Mb though a VPN tunnle to my work 130 miles away.

Now I will say I'm even having problems with my router for the last month or two, now I truely believe it's due to the firmware, or it just plain burnt out.
I'll try to downgrade mine or go-to tamato or voxel, both known to maintain hardware accelleration.
Or I'll toss it in a box if I cant restore it to what it once was. I believe it is possible that it the firmware caused extra tasks on the CPU, you could burn up the device. Hell I ran mine for a long time under a couch lol, there is a good chance my hardware is failing.
I did just buy a R7800 in lieu of replacing this one, why.. because WiFi benchmarks at 942Mb puts it #1 on the list for peak performance.
More powerful CPU to handle larger loads and multiple connections.
If I get my R7000 up then I'll add it as a third Access Point on separate network off my Pfsense box. Fill in a dead spot in my house.
So then I'll have R7000 one end, R7500 opposite end and R7800 central located all off Cat 6 under the house. My expectations of to hit 940Mb over Lan anywhere I plug in and be able to hit at least 700-800 over the wifi at least after a total reset of network load.
I don't have to worry about security flaes in wifi, disable all vulnerable features, use it as an access point, and rely on true Performance from an Intel bases device for router and never miss an update on your router rather than ur access point.
No reprogramming or factory resets, EVER.
Use filters and manage your network for your router not wifi device and setup and many rules and filters schedules and what not.
Just use a strong Password and don't use WEP or the PIN option - You'll be golden at least till u descided to update to a faulty firmware or ur device burns out Smiley Sad... Anyways.

You can't curse the company, security a major conserne.
If Netgear descided to not patch the firmware, your household is technically a warzone.
They arnt just providing you a WiFi Router, it's also piece of mind and high functionality.
None of this I have to worry about because my Pfsense box is 10 times any WiFi Router could provide on the market.

Anyone who recommends Dd-WRT is moronic unless it's specifically built for your router from another source that maintains the binaries that enable hardware accelleration.
Most of the time DD-WRT breaks features and negates any hardware accelleration.
Use firmware from enthusiasts that built it for your specific model, not the jack of all trades firmware(DD-WRT). DD-WRT is great for making a useless router into something worth wile, like a dedicated VPN box or a bridge.
Other than that stay away if it's performance you want.

I think that is enough for my rant, thanks for the advice who provided valuable feedback, I'm sure it will help in my situation, fingers crossed.
Message 39 of 51
Ozoldhack
Aspirant

THIS THING HAS NEVER WORKED AS DESCRIBED ON THE BOX. REGARDLESS WHETHER IT CONFIGURED AS AN ACcESS OR POINT OR a ROUTER

WHEN I ORIGINALLY PURCHASED THIS AND RANG NETGEAR SUPPORT FOR A RESLUTION THEY RECOMMEND FiRMWARE UPGRADES.  This went on until warranty ran out.

As a wired device it worked fine. The wireless hardware does not work reliably with any type firmware. Ie tomatoe/dd-wrt or netgear. The behaviour is identicial.

It just randomly disables itself with no visbable signs from the external  LEDs. You have login from a wired device to disgnose that has been disabled. This ocurred whether it set-up in router mode or access point mode.

My dlink device has not missed a beat where as the Netgear paperweight will only run for 6 hours max before it has to be reset via powering down or doing a re-boot.

These device are on store shelves in Australia. I would not recommend anyone buys one.

Message 40 of 51
JeffB1225
Tutor

Glad to find this forum.  NOT happy reading all the posts.  I'm a thoroughly frustrated consumer.  I just got off a useless call with customer service.  Because I'm outside 90-days they barely spoke to me.  I lost it when she gave me the sales pitch to buy a service contract.  Not a chance.

I  bought my R7000 September of 2017.  It wasn't until October or so of 2018 that Wifi started dropping on ALL devices.  It progressively got worse.  My kids were home for the holidays and wifi drops multiple times a day.  I've spent 2 days playing IT guy at home.  I know more about router settings than I want.  I did replace my cable modem from Spectrum.  They willingly swapped it out for their latest and greatest but that did not resolve the issue.  I have since concluded its the R7000.

Devices connected: (1) home compter connected via ethernet, (2) iPhones, (1) laptop, (1) Vizio tv, (1) ecobee thermostat

Wifi drops randomly but I can force it to drop when I stream Netflix.  After 10 minutes "lights out".  I then sit patiently for 3-5 minutes and it comes back.  10 minutes later its out again.  This NEVER hapened with my older cable modem and old LINKSYS router.  I'm thoroughly frustrated with Netgear, the product, and all the time I'm investing to reconcile this.

It appears from reading all your posts that the firmware is the issue.  Can someone please simply recommend the bast verson (as of Jan. 21, 2019) to go back to so I can try one last thing before I toss this out in the snow?

Thank you!

Message 41 of 51
HisGrace
Guide

I have replaced my R7000 and am so relieved! I actually have my network back!
I went back to a Linksys.

I WIILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER NETGEAR POS ANYTHING AGAIN! Their support is a joke. I even paid for support to get this working and they had to refund the $80 sorry fee.

Netgear is DEAD TO ME!
Message 42 of 51
JeffB1225
Tutor

Anyone using any of the following as an alterative?

DD-WRT vs Tomato vs OpenWRT

Message 43 of 51
HisGrace
Guide

It seems that the community has determined that it's a combination of hardware and software. One poster has tried other alternative firmwares with the same results. In my opinion this is a POS and Netgear has become that kind of company.
Message 44 of 51
myersw
Master

And some more happy customers. 

I understand your pain as I had a r8000 and r8000p both plagued with firmware issues and no end in site. 

Vowed at that time to move on and never let a Netgear router on my network.

Too bad they cannot get things working like they seemingly have with modems, at least mine is solid, and Arlo cameras, again mine just works.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 45 of 51
hushcoden
Luminary

@JeffB1225 wrote:

Anyone using any of the following as an alterative?

DD-WRT vs Tomato vs OpenWRT

DD-WRT

Message 46 of 51

Still have a R7000 (for many years) now runnng 1.0.9.42 that is great.  Its only used 6 months out ouf the year now at a second residence.  My R7000 has been a workhorse and until Sept of 2018 the cornerstone of my primary homes network.  Very solid.

I'm approaching the 5 month mark of ownership with my R8000P and while the FW has been more buggy than the R7000, it has still performed well at the main house. 

No, I don't think that buggy or broken FW is acceptable, and no, I'm not really happy about the bugs, many of which don't get addressed build after build, but fortunately, they are more of an annoyance which hasn't affected the stability of the router or its ability to deliver reliable throughput and performance (R8000P). 

As many others have stated before me, Asus, Linksys, D-Link, TPLink, etc...  all have similar issues.  One form or another.  Stuff is broken, buggy, doesn't work, etc.  They all have their share of issues, problems and bugs. This is not anything new or what people haven't heard before.  For every person complaining, there is another who is using their product happily, or (mostly happy) for the most part. 

My R7000 has provided years and years of solid reliable performance.  Some FW works better than others and in many cases, using one a few builds back might work better for some but not others depending on the intended use.  Latest isn't always best. 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 47 of 51
JeffB1225
Tutor

I installed Tomato Advanced.  Install went fine. Everything came up great.  Unfortunately my speed tanked.  Literally down almost 60%.  I decided to go back to Netgear firmware and an earlier version.  Installed V 1.0.9.42...

Speed is back to where it originally was (upload 117Mbps | download 11.5 Mbps).  

Unfortunately I fired up Netflix and after about 45 minutes of streaming the router choked. The only other connected devices were two iPhones, an ethernet connected PC, and a thermostat. 45 minutes is certainly better than the 10 minutes it took to choke on V 1.0.9.60...

Probably going to keep rolling back until I find a version that works.  I'm getting pretty good at this.

Message 48 of 51
farbod
Star

I agree with all you guys. the latest stable version is 1.0.9.42.  I've been having problems since the latest update. But since I reverted back to the older version, everything is working perfectly as it is suppposed to be.  Netgear has to adress the issue ASAP.  P.s I aslo tried everything with Netgear tech without any luck. They know that there is a problem, but it seems that they don't care :_(

Message 49 of 51
SomeOne01
Aspirant

I can also confirm that 1.0.9.42_10.2.44 is more stable then the latest version currently for download. That is, on my pc from speeds 30 and below to 150 and up proves that somebody broke something after this release.

as for the wifi drops, gonna check it out now, as it happens at least twice an episode...

Message 50 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E