Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000

CatintheHat
Tutor

Re: Poor Firmware. Replacing my 15 month-old router with another brand.

You will have to roll back to version V1.0.9.42_10.2.44. It fixes the problem but the downside is you are left with a security issue of someone being able to access your router. Do your self a favor and move on from this brand. I got rid of my 6900 and went with eero. Couldn’t be happier.
Message 26 of 35
Matt22
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000

I purchased Netgear's Nighthawl R7000 just in May 2020. This device started dropping internet few Months after purchase, right after the 90 days support is over. The phone app is telling me the firmware is up to date but online their website is showing a different firmware. I called the tech support who is asking me to buy technical support without telling me what’s wrong with the devise. This is fairly new device. Not 5 years old or no longer supported. In fact, they are still selling the same device people and others are having the same issue after their 90 days. If it was a defect on this particular device then why others are having the same issue? And, why one have to pay to fix it if it’s a defect? It’s obvious it was set up this way.   

Other customers said ‘’the technical support from Netgear is pathetic, unprofessional and fraud. Their team has only one motive: to sell extended warranty (beyond 90 days) and dupe customers. They purposefully create issues and when customers call for help, they force them to buy 3m/6m/1year support at extra cost and fix the issue. This is their game plan and any amount of escalations makes no difference. Sincere advice: avoid buying their products and tech support.’’ This is true and honest statement. I myself regret buying from Netgear and would not recommend anyone falling in the same trap. Call them and check reviews to confirm it yourself.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 27 of 35
Matt22
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Support & Info EPIC Article

I purchased Netgear's Nighthawl R7000 just in May 2020. This device started dropping internet few Months after purchase, right after the 90 days support is over. The phone app is telling me the firmware is up to date but online their website is showing a different firmware. I called the tech support who is asking me to buy technical support without telling me what’s wrong with the devise. This is fairly new device. Not 5 years old or no longer supported. In fact, they are still selling the same device people and others are having the same issue after their 90 days. If it was a defect on this particular device then why others are having the same issue? And, why one have to pay to fix it if it’s a defect? It’s obvious it was set up this way.   

Other customers said ‘’the technical support from Netgear is pathetic, unprofessional and fraud. Their team has only one motive: to sell extended warranty (beyond 90 days) and dupe customers. They purposefully create issues and when customers call for help, they force them to buy 3m/6m/1year support at extra cost and fix the issue. This is their game plan and any amount of escalations makes no difference. Sincere advice: avoid buying their products and tech support.’’ This is true and honest statement. I myself regret buying from Netgear and would not recommend anyone falling in the same trap. Call them and check reviews to confirm it yourself.

Message 28 of 35
michaelcarroll
Aspirant

Hello,

I purchased R7000 AC1900 in April 2021. It recently started disconnecting internet access all connected (wireless and wired) devices at seemingly random intervals. This occurs maybe 3 or 4x per day. This started happening approx a week and a half ago. If I power cycle the router, the connection is restored. But the disconnection will still eventually occur. Status lights do not appear to change at all after devices are disconnected. Yes, I did attempt factory reset.

After the crashing I manually updated the firmware to Firmware Version
V1.0.11.128_10.2.112 provided in this article... it looks like it was the latest so far as this week https://kb.netgear.com/000064024/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-128. Unfortunately, I still observe the same disconnection issues with the new firmware. I repositioned the router as well in the interest of any potential physical problem. There is no change.

Is there another firmware fix to come? I really need a consistent router connection.

-MichaelC

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 29 of 35
davemays
Guide

It's time to abandon these devices.

I had to put mine on a mechanical timer that powers it off and back on every night to keep it from crashing/disconnecting periodically.

Message 30 of 35
CatintheHat
Tutor

Your best bet is to throw this thing in the trash and get an eero. After dealing with the same thing you did, its what I ended up doing.
Message 31 of 35
poguesquadron
Aspirant

The breaking of 5ghz is exactly what we've been experiencing for some time. If it's a firmware problem, should I revert back to an older firmware? It's been driving us crazy.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 32 of 35
CatintheHat
Tutor

Yes. I believe they released a fix but slows down internet speeds so you will have to roll back to an unsecure version. Honeslty just move on from this garbage company.

@poguesquadron wrote:

The breaking of 5ghz is exactly what we've been experiencing for some time. If it's a firmware problem, should I revert back to an older firmware? It's been driving us crazy.

Message 33 of 35
davemays
Guide

Yup. I finally threw my R7000 in the trash and got a Unifi Dream Machine.

@CatintheHat wrote:

Yes. I believe they released a fix but slows down internet speeds so you will have to roll back to an unsecure version. Honeslty just move on from this garbage company.

@poguesquadron wrote:

Message 34 of 35
dc5378
Aspirant

Wish I had looked harder and found this thread sooner. R7000 I've had for a while now and only get it out of the closet when an update is out hoping it may work better. It's good to know Netgear just made a sh*t product and had enough complaints with the same issues to warrant a recall but chose not to. I don't remember any of the other Netgear products I've had being so terrible but reading these posts I feel sure enought about Netgear knowing the product was trash and jerking customers around for years with firmware that will never fix the problems these routers have to know I'm right to never buy another product made by Netgear again

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7