R7000 - Traffic Meter counting LAN traffic

riesecanada
Tutor

R7000 - Traffic Meter counting LAN traffic

I enabled the Traffic Meter on the R7000 with the traffic volume control 'Both directions', a monthly limit of 122880 Mbytes (120 Gbytes), and a pop up warning at 5120 Mbytes before the monthly limit is reached.

I expected that this would only count the WAN traffic, which I have a monthly limit for and I wanted to use this feature to ensure that I am not being charged by my provider for extra usage. The manual states: "Traffic metering allows you to monitor the volume of Internet traffic that passes through the router Internet port."

Surprisingly, I have noticed that it is also counting the LAN traffic, e.g., data being transferred from my NAS to my PC. This seems wrong.

Can anyone else confirm that this is happening with their device?

I have reproduced it with firmware V1.0.1.22_1.0.15 and also with V1.0.2.120_1.0.17, which I had installed, but downgraded back to the older version.
Message 1 of 11
fordem
Mentor

Re: R7000 - Traffic Meter counting LAN traffic

Have you by any chance configured remote access to the NAS? If you have it you may want to review how you're connecting that PC to the NAS.

The only time I've seen a situation such as you describe is when I configured remote access to a security camera and then used a PC inside the LAN to view the camera using the remote access instead of directly

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 11
riesecanada
Tutor

There is no remote access to the NAS. The NAS has a wired connection to the R7000 on the 1st network port, so the traffic that is happening is just from the wired to the wireless network, but all on the LAN.
Message 3 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Sounds there might a bug as should only counted for WAN traffic. If there is not other significant background app is running to consumer what you are saying then contact support and put trouble ticket on this.

my.netgear.com
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 11
riesecanada
Tutor

I created a support case for this and the support "expert" determined that this is caused by a hardware failure and I got a RMA approved to replace the unit. I am a software developer and I cannot see, how this can be hardware related. I would like, if someone could confirm this issue with their unit, so that Netgear will review it as a firmware bug.
Message 5 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Sounds like firmware issues to me rather hardware..

Hope someone has this router can chip in for 2cents
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 11
theoak
Luminary

Starting out under the Period column ... looking at the Today row ... My Total thus far was read: 4656 I then went to my iPad. I have a Dish Hopper. With the Hopper I can transfer TV programs from the Hopper to my iPad. This activity should all happen WITH IN my local network. I selected a program that stated it was about 980 MB ... just under 1 GB. When the transfer finished a few minutes later, the Total for the Today row read: 4656 I validated the transfer by playing the program on my iPad ... even turning off the WiFi. Hence ... no change ... as expected. Via a torrent ... I then download the latest Doctor Who TV episode ... about 2.05 GB is size. I paused the torrent at the 988 MB mark; or, about the same size as my program that I transferred from my Hopper to my iPad. The Total for the Today row read: 5716 Doing a little math ... 5716 - 4656 = 1060 I had transferred thus far 988 MB ... and then add another 80 MB for other network activity the torrent transfer was doing, plus what ever else was happening in my home. Conclusion: For me ... the counters indeed seem to be counting ONLY WAN traffic through the internet port. Hopefully this makes sense. I am running Firmware Version : V1.0.2.120_1.0.17
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.7.2.104
Satellite Firmware: 2.7.2.104 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 7 of 11
theoak
Luminary

Hmmm, now that I think about it ... I will add that I had my Internet Traffic Meter "Traffic volume control by" set to "No limit". I did NOT try "Both directions" as per the original post. Perhaps the original poster can validate if the "No limit" reports expected results as it did in my case.
RBK53 v2
Message 8 of 11
theoak
Luminary

Something else to consider, the original poster, their NAS was connected wired to the R7000. My testing is all wireless and over the same band even - 5 Ghz band in this case.
RBK53 v2
Message 9 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Still should not count LAN to LAN transfer

Possible firmware bug
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 11
Bozon
Aspirant

It's not counting LAN traffic for me. I have firmware V1.0.1.22_1.0.15.
I copied a 3.7GB file from NAS to my PC, both wired connections.
Before: Upload: 168.34 MB Download: 1605 MB
After the copy: Upload: 169.23 MB Download 1612 MB
(I did a little web surfing while it copied).

I have Traffic Volume set to Download Only, and a limit of 300GB set.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E