R7000 Transmit Power on Lower 5ghz channels?

Hogan773
Novice

R7000 Transmit Power on Lower 5ghz channels?

I have been doing lots of reading on the internet about the difference between the lower (36-48) vs higher (148 etc) 5ghz channels. Of course when Googling one comes up with all kinds of different time periods for these conversations so I wanted to know what is current.

Old wisdom mentioned that allowable transmit power was 1/20th in the lower channels than the higher channels, therefore you should pick a higher channel. However I also read something that said FCC last year allowed transmit power in the LOWER channels to go up to 1W now instead of 50mw.

Does anyone know if the Nighthawk router firmware would include that so that it now transmits at a higher power in the lower channels?

Thanks
Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: R7000 Transmit Power on Lower 5ghz channels?

last time I checked there is still a 3 db difference so I would say no. Also the release notes would mention it I would think if that change was included. Also just because the rules allow a higher output it doesn't necessarily mean the hardware will support it.
Message 2 of 4
Hogan773
Novice

searay wrote:
last time I checked there is still a 3 db difference so I would say no. Also the release notes would mention it I would think if that change was included. Also just because the rules allow a higher output it doesn't necessarily mean the hardware will support it.

I tried ch 36 last night and seems to work well. Hard to tell how much db difference there is vs channel 148. I do get the warning that "Netgear recommends using the upper channels for best performance". Maybe I will switch back to 148 just to be safe.
Message 3 of 4
Squuiid
Luminary

Yes, definitely go for higher channels. Us in Europe are desperate to be able to use these higher channels, albeit on DFS.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=95222
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E