Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Trying to Connec to to Office L2TP VPN

dobb823
Aspirant

R7000 Trying to Connec to to Office L2TP VPN

Hi,

Just put in the R7000 running on the Firmware V1.0.11.116_10.2.100 and struggling to get it to connect to a VPN that is running AS L2TP/IPsec with pre-shared key.

Now this all worked prior to swapping the R7000 in.

I can connect to othre VPNs ok but not if they are L2TP/IpSec.

I have gone into Advanced > Port Forwarding > + Add Custom Service and configured the following ports:

Now I am not sure what to put in the Internal IP Address but I have set it to be the IP address of my Laptop as that is what I am trying to connect to?

Probably doing something either fundamentally wrong or the R7000 cant actually do what i need it to.  

Does anybody have any ideas / hints? I have spent hours today trying to get this to work?

Thank you 🙂

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7000 Trying to Connec to to Office L2TP VPN

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 12
dobb823
Aspirant

Hey there,

Not 100% sure but it looks like this and was installed by open reach IMG_4940.jpg

Message 3 of 12
dobb823
Aspirant

IMG_4940.jpg

Message 4 of 12
dobb823
Aspirant

sorry note sure why this image isnt working 

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, checking for a router at the modem/ONT point. Your ok there.

When you configured port fowarding, did you disable uPnP on the router? 

Any of this help?

https://kb.netgear.com/966/Troubleshooting-VPN-passthrough-for-home-routers

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Ports-for-L2TP-VPN/td-p/1223802

Message 6 of 12
dobb823
Aspirant

Thanks for coming back to me.  I had not turned that off.  I have turned that off but to no avail.

I have followed those 2 x links multiple times to also to no avail.

My port forwarding looks like this

Message 7 of 12
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@dobb823  Just to point out too, you're one firmware update behind the latest. Probably won't make much difference to your particular issue, but thought you'd like to know.

This is the latest firmware for the R7000 AC1900

https://kb.netgear.com/000063843/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-126

Also, which VPN provider are you trying to connect to?

I too am a BT customer on FTTP. My ONT is a newer model than yours. Personally, I use Surfshark VPN through their Windows App with zero issues.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 8 of 12
dobb823
Aspirant

Thanks fo the reply.

I did check latest firmware from the router and said it was fine but I’ll double check.

The vpn is just a standard vpn setup in windows with no third party application.
Message 9 of 12
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@dobb823  My advice, don't accept as the truth what your current firmware on your router is telling you. I've updated my own router six times since I bought it and I've only known about each 'latest' release by checking on Netgear's firmware page for my router model or accidentally discovering it reading through threads on this forum. I check once a month as a minimum. I'm afraid my own experience of Netgear's firmware release program, is that it isn't in my opinon, the best. Still, my router works absolutely fine without issues so I can't slate them completely!

Oh and as ever, best practise is to upgrade firmware via ethernet, not WiFi.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 10 of 12

@Portwey84 wrote:

I'm afraid my own experience of Netgear's firmware release program, is that it isn't in my opinon, the best.

Oh so true.

To add to the saga, the automated check routine is a poor guide because new firmware comes in various stages through different channels.

Beta versions can go out to chosen people who don't mind taking their life in their hands.

Next, if the beta is acceptable, comes a "hotfix", a new release that has yet to go through all the quality checks, for what they are worth.

Finally, there is a new release. But that too has a couple of release channels. Usually it appears, as @Portwey84 says, on the support pages. Then it goes to the update server that feeds the "check for updates" feature.

However you get a new version, experienced users have witnessed enough grief to avoid anything but a manual update.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You probably didn't want to know all of that.

Message 11 of 12
dobb823
Aspirant

This randomly just started working for 4 days ...

Hard turned off Router last night, turned it back on ... not working again .... ffs

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7