R7000 Trying to set device specific time schedule access restrictions? Doesn't seem possible.

mbrittb00
Tutor

R7000 Trying to set device specific time schedule access restrictions? Doesn't seem possible.

Several months ago I purchased an R7000 to replace a Linksys router that died.  I don't have a ton of free time, so I've been trying off and on to get the Parental Control setup.  It wasn't a big issue during the summer as the kids access is more open, but school has started I've been trying more diligently to get these access controls setup, to no avalil. 

I am trying to setup access restrictions by device (preferabley MAC address since that is MUCH harder to change then the IP address) so that the device will be cut off from the internet at certain times of the day when my kids are not supposed to be using them.  Yes I can confiscate the devices and lock them up, but considering that this has been a staple feagure of every router I've owned for the past 5+ years, that is something I shouldn't have to do.  After spending several  hours trying to figure out how to accomlish what I wanted, I discoved that it isn't really possible.  At least not with the default firmware on this router.  Sure there are some clukly ways that I can sort of accomplish this by completely clamp down access to the router, and require every single user that has even a sligtly above the max restrictions to have a special account and software installed on their computer, etc. etc.  But I shouldn't have to do that. 

I did find another post here on the community where many users are dismayed that this feature didn't exist.  Within that thread there was at least one Netgear associate that insinuated that this feature was being considered, but that was over a year ago and nothing has come from it, so I'm assuming that Netgear isn't even trying anymore. 

Also, in that post were comments that refered to 3rd party firmware that would work on the R7000 and accomplish what I am looking for.  There were a couple that included links :

https://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DD-WRT_on_R7000

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/

But there were a couple of other comments that indicated that Netgear themselves were directing people to 3rd party firmware to accomplish this, but never provided a link to where Netgear was doing this or to where they were being pointed. 

At this point I've given up on expending Netgear to actually make their device functional as they had advertised, so I'm going to move forward with trying to get the functinality using 3rd party firmware.  My question to the community is which is the best 3rd party firmware that will allow me to get the most out of my R7000 while still getting the parental control functionality that I desire?

To Netgear: These types of parental controls are staples in even the lowest end devices of your competetors.  Your clukly soltion to using OpenDNS and by-pass accounts is pitiful.  Unless you implement a solution to this issue, then this will be the last Netgear device I will be purchasing.  Which is unfortunate for you as I've been a long time Linksys user and this was/is your opportunty to pull me away from one of your main competitors. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Re: R7000 Trying to set device specific time schedule access restrictions? Doesn't seem possible.

I use Asuswrt-Merlin and it works well for me.  I hear that Tomato works well, too.  Note, I heard that neither of these are fully open source, so caveat emptor.

Message 2 of 9
mbrittb00
Tutor

Re: R7000 Trying to set device specific time schedule access restrictions? Doesn't seem possible.

Understood on not being fully open source.  I am a little curious about what you are insinuating though?

Message 3 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Some people will claim that firmware that is not open source may not be trustworthy.  It cannot be independently verified that there isn't any spyware.  These people have a point.  You will simply have to decide whether that is an acceptable risk.

Message 4 of 9
mbrittb00
Tutor

Understood.

As it turns out I have a R7500 not an R7000.  While I do see the Asuswrt-Merlin avaliable specifically states the R7000, I don't see any referenct to the R7500.  Is the R7500 just an updated version of the R7000 and the same firmware for the R7000 will work on the R7500?

Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Different Hardware don't try it!

Message 6 of 9
mbrittb00
Tutor

Ok.  Thanks.  I'm not a tech idiot, and was thinking this was the case, but wasn't sure.

Is there a Asuswrt-Merlin firmware for the R7500?  I can't seem to find one?

If not, I'm back to my origional question.  What 3rd party FW would give me the best performance and still give me the parental controls I am wanting (namly the ability to schedule internet access by device (MAC).

Message 7 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

3rd party sites would be a better soruce for what they have or dont' have for a r7500

Message 8 of 9
mbrittb00
Tutor

Understood. But consider the lack of actual parental controls on the R7500, and A LOT of people wanting them, I was hoping that there was a recommendation from the community.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E