R7000 Updating Settings ││││││

Midaz
Apprentice

R7000 Updating Settings ││││││

Hello Netgear
Is my device malfunctioning or should it take a minute or two to apply a setting?.
It seems the internets are inaccessible during this time and that the
device is completely focused on updating settings.
I have never seen this bevhaviour on a device before really
Using latest firmware as of date.
Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: R7000 Updating Settings ││││││

Yep, that's Netgear Genie firmware. It has been like that for several years.
Message 2 of 9
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Most setting changes cause a router reboot, which takes a couple minutes. Generally there is no need to constantly change settings. What settings are you updating?
I have also seen a couple times where a soft reset didn't reboot properly. I usually power cycle the router to get a clean restart.
You say you have the latest firmware, did you update it yourself? If so, did you reset to factory defaults both before and after the firmware update? I had problems until I did that.
Message 3 of 9
TheEther
Guru

In my experience, most setting changes do not cause a router reboot. Changes to wireless settings (e.g. changing the channel or password) will cause the Wi-Fi network to go down and up, which may appear like a reboot but it's generally much shorter in duration. A reboot can take upwards of a minute or two.
Message 4 of 9
rpoffen
Virtuoso

I agree that some settings like changing the channel only take about 30 seconds, but other settings like changing the internet settings from no login to PPPoE caused a full reboot.
In fact, one thing I changed with the last firmware update was to change the 2.4G network from auto to a fixed channel. Prior to that, I would see the WiFi drop periodically (several times a day) for about 30 seconds, then come back up. I wonder if having the channel selection set to auto was causing this dropout. It could also have been the fact that I did a full factory reset before and after the FW update, not sure, but one of these changes stabilized the router. I have not had a single dropout since.
Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Even changes like bouncing a wireless interface take too long on the Netgear stock FW, IMO.

If change a DHCP reservation on my WRT1900AC, for example, it bounces the LAN side interfaces so that clients will try to renew their DHCP address. The whole process takes maybe 5 seconds, and a continuous ping loses maybe 3 or 4 pings. Users don't even notice that something happened.

Doing the same thing on the R7000 results in a good 30-second loss of connectivity. Users definitely notice that.
Message 6 of 9
Midaz
Apprentice

I recently bought it so just playing around with the settings to see how it works.
Also playing with a dir-845l router to have as an AP and whatever setting I
change on that it only takes like a second.
For example if I enable/disable the radio then LAN<->WAN is broken and I cant
access the internets using the LAN port connected directly to my computer -
in fact when I tried now recently to access webpages when router was "updating settings" it hang forcing a power cycle.
I just did this to time how long it stalled during the "update settings" session
So do not access internets when it is applying settings.
I dont understand how accessing registers on the radio transceiver disables the internet connection.
From a technical standpoint - exactly what is it waiting for during this +minute.
Message 7 of 9
fredgunn
Aspirant

On an iMac, I tried to reserve an IP address on the R7000's LAN page. After doing that I clicked on 'apply'. It took one minute and the froze on that page. I then closed Safari. Restarted Safari. Cannot browse any webpages. Still connected to network but no internet access. Rebooted iMac but still the same. Tried 3 times. Finally, had to soft reboot R7000 through another computer to regain connectivity. Any ideas what might have happened and hoe to resolve?
Message 8 of 9
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Midaz wrote:
I recently bought it so just playing around with the settings to see how it works.
Also playing with a dir-845l router to have as an AP and whatever setting I
change on that it only takes like a second.
For example if I enable/disable the radio then LAN<->WAN is broken and I cant
access the internets using the LAN port connected directly to my computer -
in fact when I tried now recently to access webpages when router was "updating settings" it hang forcing a power cycle.
I just did this to time how long it stalled during the "update settings" session
So do not access internets when it is applying settings.
I dont understand how accessing registers on the radio transceiver disables the internet connection.
From a technical standpoint - exactly what is it waiting for during this +minute.

This is frustrating, that it takes so long to make simple changes.
I currently have my backup Cisco/Linksys router in place because last weekend in an attempt to reset back to factory defaults (using the Genie web interface) I bricked my R7000. I have a USB to TTL UART on order to try and recover it.
But one thing I notice in setting up the Linksys is that most settings take a couple seconds to effect, such as setting up port forwarding rules, DDNS, WiFi channels etc. On the R7000, many operations do seem to require a full reboot.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements