Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Using Asuswrt-Merlin

Retired_Member
Not applicable

R7000 Using Asuswrt-Merlin

I was sceptical about using 3rd party FW, Mainly because it was something outside of my comfort zone. Once you go ASUSWRT-Merlin You'll never go back. Up to six Guest with different times, dhcp lease time, dual WAN, Parental controls, and it's just cool.

Dual WAN.pngDHCP Lease.pngDual WAN.pngGuest.pngIPV6.pngTraffic Monitor.png

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

I find it a very sad state for us more experienced users to have to resort to third party firmware (even a competitor's firmware like ASUSWRT-Merlin) because NETGEAR has no clue what people need in a router's firmware and instead of improving it, they dumb it down even more, sometimes even removing basic, core networking stuff. And don't get me started on the whole '90s looking firmware interface...

If you're reading this, NETGEAR, if you keep down this path, you'll soon be pushed into obsolescence. ASUS and TP-Link will continue to eat up your lunch every time and you will starve

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14

All Replies
microchip8
Master

I find it a very sad state for us more experienced users to have to resort to third party firmware (even a competitor's firmware like ASUSWRT-Merlin) because NETGEAR has no clue what people need in a router's firmware and instead of improving it, they dumb it down even more, sometimes even removing basic, core networking stuff. And don't get me started on the whole '90s looking firmware interface...

If you're reading this, NETGEAR, if you keep down this path, you'll soon be pushed into obsolescence. ASUS and TP-Link will continue to eat up your lunch every time and you will starve

Message 2 of 14
kwolf
Guide

The last time I used that firmware, QoS was broken on IPv6 (was applying upstream QoS to IPv6 downstream).  Can't find any evidence that it's been fixed sadly, so I'm stuck with stock FW for now.

Message 3 of 14
netwrks
Master

@searay wrote:

I was sceptical about using 3rd party FW, Mainly because it was something outside of my comfort zone. Once you go ASUSWRT-Merlin You'll never go back. Up to six Guest with different times, dhcp lease time, dual WAN, Parental controls, and it's just cool.

Dual WAN.pngDHCP Lease.pngDual WAN.pngGuest.pngIPV6.pngTraffic Monitor.png

And, you can turn WPS off!  😉

Message 4 of 14
coolguy949
Apprentice

I've been eyeing this firmware for a while now but recently switched to the R7800 and now my 3rd party FW hopes have diminished. 😞 And now on stock FW I'm experiencing a wired switch bug I've posted about in another thread. Now I am thinking of just getting another R7000. It was such a solid device for me even on stock FW. I've been loyal user DD-WRT for years but these newer firmware distros seem to be really powerful. How's your wireless performance? I know on some earlier DD-WRT builds, wireless performed worse than stock but some of the later Kong builds restored it. My stock R7800 gets about 450 - 550 Mbps from my NAS to my 2x2 AC Surface Pro 3, which is amazing. My R7000 got 300 - 400 typically. This makes me want to "borrow" my old R7000 from the parents for testing. 🙂

Message 5 of 14
Gandolph
Star

Searay,

I've been considering Asuswrt-Merlin as well for my r7000.  You've a had a few days of run-time with it now, have you had any issues or concerns?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 14
netwrks
Master

I have been running this firmware since the initial release. I have had no issues with any of the firmware releases. However, I run my R7000's in AP mode.  380.59 is solid. 380.61 just came out.  Some user's have identified issue's with IPV6 on Comcast. Best to post specific question on the forum - be sure to review the changelogs for more info.  

Message 7 of 14
microchip8
Master

I had been using XWRT Vortex up until 2 releases ago when it started to drain the battery on my Galaxy J5. Couldn't find a fix except for reverting to a previous version... but instead I loaded Tomato (which also gives me an easy way to set up VLANs and Guest network with bandwidth limiting) and been happy ever since. Range and speed is the same as on Vortex and battery drain has disappeared (I do now up to 7 days on a charge, with little use of the phone)

Message 8 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Gandolph wrote:

Searay,

I've been considering Asuswrt-Merlin as well for my r7000.  You've a had a few days of run-time with it now, have you had any issues or concerns?

None that I'm aware of.

How does one actually test IPV6 other than the simple test sites saying it works? What is the procedure? Do you disable IPV4? If yes How?

Thanks

Message 9 of 14
coolguy949
Apprentice

Does this firmware allow for full power on the lower 5Ghz channels for the R7000? I have an R7800 now and one of the things I like is that I don't need to use the higher channels to get full speed and power. Those channels have become crowded in my area.

Message 10 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I don't know, But it does allow ALL 5g channels to be selected

Message 11 of 14
microchip8
Master

@coolguy949

last time I used ASUSWRT, you can select any 5G channel and set transmit pwr independently. Now, whether that is honor or being limited underneath without you seeing it, I don't know. But you can do some tests to see if you crank up the pwr, whether you get a stronger signal/range

Message 12 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@coolguy949 wrote:

Those channels have become crowded in my area.

How big or little is your apartment. I find it hard to understand how 5g with it's limited range can be a problem. The router has a survey option tooScan Mode.png.

3db difference between 161 & 36 while (tested) 64 is equal to 161

Message 13 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I find it interesting that this firmware will automatically acquire a Public IP from Comcast without farting around like Netgear OEM does.

NEVER have I gotten a Public IP with Comcast without First going direct with wired PC to modem then spoofing that MAC in router Internet setup!

If they can do it why can't netgear make the r7000 truly plug n play regarding Comcast.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7