R7000 VPN Server Use

NGR7000USER
Aspirant

R7000 VPN Server Use

I configured the VPN server option on the R7000 router. I installed the OpenVPN client/gui per instructions on the router's page and NETGEAR site to a Windows laptop.

When at a public wifi hotspot with a Windows laptop with the OpenVPN GUI, I successfully log on to the public wifi, and then activate the OpenVPN GUI which goes through the red-yellow-green light indicators to stay green.

My question/concern is that when I compare the IP number checked by Googling "My IP" of the public wifi to the one after getting the green lights on the OpenVPN GUI, they are the same. Shouldn't I have a different IP number once the green lights are on the OpenVPN GUI (as has been the case when using traditional VPN connections unrelated to this router in the past)? If the IP number is the same as the public wifi's IP number, that suggests to me that I am not in a secure VPN tunnel to my router as I understand it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I do have a DDNS configured as instructed on the rouger's VPN page.
Message 1 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: R7000 VPN Server Use

If you setup R7000 to pass internet traffic as well then whatmyip should show your R7000 wan ip
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 15
networking
Aspirant

Do you have the openvpn server on the router set to pass internet traffic also? if you connect to a wifi hotspot, and still have the same ip after connecting as before, your traffic is not being routed through the vpn. If it is working the ip would change to your home ip when you connect to the vpn. Make sure you have the vpn gui configured to send all data through the vpn. you can use one of the assorted ip checking websites to see if your ip changes when connected to the vpn.
Message 3 of 15
NGR7000USER
Aspirant

networking,

Thanks for your and jmizoguchi's replies...That is what I figured (my IP should be different than the public wi-fi's when on the VPN). I'm going to re-download/install the config files on the laptop as I recall that I went back and added the internet access option on the router's VPN settings page AFTER installing the config files (which perhaps were configured without this accesss??)
Message 4 of 15
NGR7000USER
Aspirant

I made sure the settings were to allow internet as well on the router's setting page, and then downloaded and installed the new config files to the laptop. Unfortunately, while at the public hotspot, I got the same thing...green lights on the OpenVPN GUI, but not a different IP address than the hotspot's address.

Despite the above, I am able to separately successfully VPN in to a free VPN service (VPNbook) on the same laptop and get a different IP number than the one of the public hotspot.

I don't think it's related but the laptop is configured to use K9 Web Protection, so I wondered if that was blocking anything. However, the VPNbook service doesn't seem to be affected by it.

I took some screen grabs of the OpenVPN GUI and will post when I get a chance. They say something about not able to get a gateway.
Message 5 of 15
networking
Aspirant

are you on a windows pc or mac osx? if osx, try using viscosity for the vpn. it works fabulously on osx

for your vpn, what port and protocol are you using?
Message 6 of 15
njourdain
Aspirant

I've had the same problem, and it has been discussed in this thread : http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=90229&page=3

So far, I was never able to make the internet trafic go through the VPN even with Viscosity which is easier to configure in my opinion. I opened a support ticket and after a few useless replies I gave up since I don't really need the VPN feature right now.
Message 7 of 15
NGR7000USER
Aspirant

networking,

I'm on windows (although I would love to be able to connect one ios device too), but I thought the instructions say the router's VPN server only currently supports windows?
Message 8 of 15
NGR7000USER
Aspirant

This may be my own ignorance, but I just noticed on the port forwarding page of the router, that there are no forwarded ports in the table. Do I have to manually forward the ports? I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that the advanced info at the bottom of the VPN page of the router settings automatically activates the forwarding of the port listed there when I enable the service on the router page?? ...Or is that advanced information that is just used to plug into the config files that are created and installed on the devices trying to connect remotely?
Message 9 of 15
NGR7000USER
Aspirant

UPDATE: I just tried to forward the port listed in the Advanced section of the VPN Server page as UDP and it wouldn't let me, saying that that port is already is use. So, I think I was originally correct in that once the VPN Service page is applied, that port is forwarded for that service. So back to square one again.
Message 10 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You should not need to forward any. Router is VPN termination so should handle all for you.

VPN settings page AFTER installing the config files (which perhaps were configured without this accesss??)

I don't think installing software on pc should not effect the setting you set on router . I don't use those router nor openvn so I can really tell you much.

I remember the discussion per said about " njourdain" that this user could not get internet pass via VPN..

If once app such as "viscosity" works the maybe the this app issues for windows... who knows.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 15
NGR7000USER
Aspirant

njourdain,

Yes, the opening a support ticket with phone support was a joke for me too. While it's always great to promote international relations with India, their solution to directing me to the VPN service instructions page that I just followed before calling was not helpful. That's what lead me to this forum.

While the feature is not critically needed on a regular basis for my devices, it would be nice to be able to use it when needed as I'm leery about free VPN services and can't justify the cost of more trusted paid VPN given my current usage.
Message 12 of 15
networking
Aspirant

As the r7000's vpn only uses 1024 bit keys I wouldn't recommend the vpn server as of now (which is unfortunate because I was really looking forward to the openvpn server)

There are some good vpn providers out there for ~$10 per month. If you want suggestions, let me know as I have checked into the major ones thoroughly.
Message 13 of 15
NGR7000USER
Aspirant

Thanks. I'll look into it. It's sort of misleading to advertise this feature for this router given that they are not up-to-date with security and it doesn't even connect successfully in the first place.
Message 14 of 15
networking
Aspirant

if they are going to offer openvpn on a router, at least use 2048bit keys (preferably larger) or at least let the user determine the size. it's really upsetting to me because I was really looking forward to that feature.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E