Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 VPN & android

DFUNG
Aspirant

R7000 VPN & android

Hello,

I bougt R7000 a week ago and i have upgraded it to the latest firmware but i still could not  enjoy the VPN function of it via ANDROID PHONE with "OpenVpn connect " app ( see versions below). 

I could import the configuration files to " OpenVPN Connect" succesfuly and the status of the APP indicated that it is CONNECTED. However, there is almost no traffic through "OpenVpn Connect". My Android phone was at 4G cellular network with data while i was testing VPN. I had done the testing multiple times but I could not open any website thru " OpenVpn Connect" in my phone. 

Android Phone:

LG Stylus 2 Plus

Android: 6.0 

OpenVPN Connect

Ver: 1.1.17 (build 76)

OpenVPN core 3.0.12 android armv7a thumb2 32-bit built on May 24 2016

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DFUNG
Aspirant

Re: R7000 VPN & android

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply.

I had followed the below article before i posted my questions.

I finally found that the problem was orginated from the Dynamic DNS setting. I had to enable the Dynamic DNS in the router before getting this problem. I needed to get a hostname from mynetgear.com or ddns.net thru noip.com. I believe this is because i have not been provided with a fixed IP from my ISP so the ip in my router keeps changing. It is highly recommended to include the section about " Dynamic DNS" for VPN in the original article about VPN set up. 

Thanks again for looking into my router's issues. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi DFUNG,

Just want to verify if you have followed the step given on the KB article below:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29783/~/how-do-i-use-vpn-service-on-my-nighthawk-route...

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 4
DFUNG
Aspirant

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply.

I had followed the below article before i posted my questions.

I finally found that the problem was orginated from the Dynamic DNS setting. I had to enable the Dynamic DNS in the router before getting this problem. I needed to get a hostname from mynetgear.com or ddns.net thru noip.com. I believe this is because i have not been provided with a fixed IP from my ISP so the ip in my router keeps changing. It is highly recommended to include the section about " Dynamic DNS" for VPN in the original article about VPN set up. 

Thanks again for looking into my router's issues. 

Message 3 of 4
JamesGL
Master

Hi DFUNG,

Thank you for your update. You may tag your post as accepted resolution so that others will be able to check what resolves your concern.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7