R7000 WAN Up Time Bug?

blunderdome
Aspirant

R7000 WAN Up Time Bug?

Had my R7000 for about 6 weeks now and I've noticed something odd when looking at port statistics.  The wifi and LAN ports all report acurrate up time but the WAN port up time seems to reset every so often despite the port having not gone down.  Just checked it today, for example, and everything shows 10 days of up time except for the WAN port which is sitting at a day and half.  Router logs show that the there hasn't been an internet drop in the last 36 hours, my server logs all show continuous outside connectivity for that time period, and my modem reports that it's also been online 100% during that time.

On the off chance that something funky was going on, I swapped the ethernet cable on that port out a couple of weeks back.  Obviously didn't help.

Just wondering if this is a known issue or something specific to my unit.  As far as I can tell my connection isn't actually dropping - just looks like the stats are getting reset or something?

I'm running stock firmware V1.0.7.12_1.2.5.  Configuration is very basic - no QoS, access control, or anything like that.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
William10a
Master

Re: R7000 WAN Up Time Bug?

I wonder if you are seeing the release and renewal of the ip lease from your isp most sips reset the ip address lease on a set time frame.

Message 2 of 16
blunderdome
Aspirant

Thanks for the comment, however that's not what's happening as far as I can tell. ISP lease renewal is occurring every four days or so and when it does it shows up in the router log as a distinct entry and does not affect the WAN up time counter.
Message 3 of 16
NetworkNH
Guide

Having the same issue here.  Originally thought it was my modem.  Swapped with a brand new one.  Issue remains.  Reset, reloaded current firmware, no change.  There is definitely a bug.  Confirmed with clients of mine that they're seeing the same up time bug as well (I've setup several of these at their sites, with different cable modems).  Is Elaine still here? Can she have the engineering team take a peak at this?

Message 4 of 16
blunderdome
Aspirant

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has the issue.  Out of curiosity have you experienced any actual connectivity loss or has it just been the counter resetting?

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe something someone should phone contact NG support about or PM Elaine for additional help and review of this thread.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)/RBK853 AP Mode v3.2.18.1
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 6 of 16
NetworkNH
Guide

So far no connectivity loss, just the counter resetting.  I'm hoping ElaineM will see this and forward it to their engineering team for review - I'm sure it's an easy fix.

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Wonder if there is any resets on the timers if there are certain conditions triggered. Like disconnects or something else. Hope they figure it out.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)/RBK853 AP Mode v3.2.18.1
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 8 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you guys confirm if this happens as well if you downgrade the firmware?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 9 of 16
NetworkNH
Guide

Thank you Elaine,

Yes, I've downgraded to the last revision, and the one before that.  Performed full reset before and after upgrading/downgrading for good measure.  Tested for several weeks, same issue.  Replaced modem with same model and different brand, same issue.  Contacted ISP, verified with their Tier 3 support that my connection was stable and experienced no drops.  Even had a truck role to test my line.  My signals are perfect.  Modem is on redundant battery backups.  Seeing this issue at 15 other client sites who have the R7000 (also with different ISP's).  No consitency either, as in it would show as up for 7 days and then "reset" back to 0, it can show as up for weeks or just a few days, then rests back to 0 by itself (very odd).  Noticed this in the last revision, but figured it would be fixed with this one.  As near as i can tell there are no disconnects or loss of connectivity, but it is quite annoying.

Message 10 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Let me check on this. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 11 of 16
blunderdome
Aspirant

For my part - I was only on the previous firmware very briefly but I did notice it just prior to upgrading.  At the time I assumed it was somehow tied to the ISP DHCP lease and didn't really investigate it.

Message 12 of 16
William10a
Master

Does netgear's routers have auto refresh for the internet(wan) port in its design or firmware as one posting said that large number of clients had the same issue I wonder if this normal event on the router?

Message 13 of 16
blunderdome
Aspirant

I know it has an auto refresh for the DHCP lease, if that's what you mean, but it definitely doesn't affect the timer.  A couple of weeks ago my ISP was performing some maintenance in the area and dropped lease time down to two hours.  The router autorefreshed the IP every hour as a result and the counter did not reset once during that time.

Regardless, it's an important statistic for gauging the health of your network/router.  Seems an odd thing to have reset as a normal event.  If that is in fact what's happening then fine, I can live with that, but I'm more inclined to think that we're seeing a firmware bug at this point.

Message 14 of 16
William10a
Master

If it is a fault with firmware or even a hard issue how many models of netgears router are affect by this and what their modem/routers as well? 

Message 15 of 16
NetworkNH
Guide

Thank you, Elaine.  We look forward to hearing back from you.  Hope your engineers can get to the bottom of this.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements