Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 WAN capped

ajcanter
Aspirant

R7000 WAN capped

The WAN status used to say 1000M/Full (I'm on a gigabit service) and my tests were around 800 down 250 up but now it says 100M/Full, and my speeds are consistantly 94/94 mb/s. If I directly connect to the modem I'm still getting up around 800/250. No changes to router settings (QOS off, Traffic Meter Off). Tried factory resets, several different firmwares. What could cause the cap?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
ajcanter
Aspirant

Re: R7000 WAN capped

Technician came out today, and while working with the network admin group they noticed two different IPs going to the modem. Supposedly two IPs were causing a conflict. They have no idea when this happened. The issue is now resolved and I am getting gigabit speeds through the r7000 once again.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That would suggest that the link auto-negotiation is falling back to the fast Ethernet rate. There’s no easy way round this, auto negotiation can fail for a variety of reasons. If you have access to a gigabit switch you may find that placing it between the router and the modem can result in auto negotiation working for both segments. Not a solution but maybe worth a try just to narrow down the cause.

Message 2 of 11
netwrks
Master

Swap out your Ethernet cable between modem and router, to at least CAT5e. Cat6 if you have it. The two devices are falling out of negotiation. If you have done all that and still have an issue, plug your router and modem into an unmanaged 1000mb switch and test / check ports.

Message 3 of 11
ajcanter
Aspirant

I'm pretty certain you are correct except that the modem is most likely the issue. Tried two other routers (also multiple cat 5e and cat 6 cables) today and they all appear to be using fast Ethernet instead of gigabit. I'm having a technician come out on Monday.

Message 4 of 11
netwrks
Master

If you have a 1000mb switch lying around plug both the modem and router into switch ports. It should negotiate  up to 1000mb. 

Message 5 of 11
ajcanter
Aspirant

I don't have a switch lying around but I did try another router with dhcp off and all nat off. With it between the modem and r7000 I cannot get any signal. I'm still thinking it's the modem and am going to wait for the technician on Monday. I'll report back.
Message 6 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

With that router that you used, you should only connect to the LAN ports, did you?

Message 7 of 11
ajcanter
Aspirant

Yes, only the LAN ports.
Message 8 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well that’s a bit odd, significantly worse than the reduced link rate that you have with a direct connection from the R7000 to the modem. I would have expected your spare router ports to simply operate as a switch (which is what they are), especially since you disabled the DHCP server.

Message 9 of 11
ajcanter
Aspirant

Technician came out today, and while working with the network admin group they noticed two different IPs going to the modem. Supposedly two IPs were causing a conflict. They have no idea when this happened. The issue is now resolved and I am getting gigabit speeds through the r7000 once again.

Message 10 of 11
mondenath
Prodigy

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7