Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 WIFI devices fail to connect - obtaining IP address

jontyblack
Aspirant

R7000 WIFI devices fail to connect - obtaining IP address

Hi All,

I have had this router for about a year. Everything has been working fine until about 2 weeks ago. Up until this point I was runing a firmware 1.0.7.* (unsure of the exact version). I also only had the 2.4G enabled. Otherwise a pretty stock configuration. I have about 4 -5 WIFI devices, mixture of Andriod Phones and Tablets.

For the last couple of weeks all devices connecting via WIFI are failing to connect properly. The are reporting the following - "Obtaining IP address" or "failed to obtain IP address". Wired devices are working fine.

These are the step I've taken so far:

1. Reboot router - 1 or 2 devices connect but as soon as they go out of wifi range they fail to reconnect. Other devices fail to connect.

2. Check for interferrance. My wifi is the only one nearby and wifi analyser is showing good strength

3. Disable 20/40Mhz coexistance - no affect

4. updated firmware to latest version(V1.0.9.18_1.2.27) - no affect

5. Factory reset - no affect

4. Enabled 5Ghz with same SSID and security - this looked to be more stable as after reboot all devices connected but I'm still getting issues with device intermitantly not connecting. I noted that all devices are still connecting to the 2.4G (nothing connecting to the 5G)

Cheers

Jon

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

@Case850 wrote:

.....and probably over a 1000 posts.

This is probably the most active:

R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity - NETGEAR Communities

It is also where the Netgear support people chip in from time to time:

Re: R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivi... - Page 11 - NETGEAR Communities

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
jontyblack
Aspirant

Thanks Case850. I'll switch to just running the 5G wifi and see what happens. Hoping Netgear sort out the 2.4G sort as I prefer the range to bandwidth.

Message 2 of 6

@Case850 wrote:

.....and probably over a 1000 posts.

This is probably the most active:

It is also where the Netgear support people chip in from time to time:

Re: R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivi... - Page 11 - NETGEAR Communities

Message 3 of 6
pman27
Aspirant

Hi Folks,

I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, didn't get any traction with the discussion.  I've been on V1.0.9.20_1.2.28 for a couple of weeks now and been stable but found all my devices offline this morning.  My iPhone wasn't on WiFi and when I tried to connect to my 5G guest network (been using that as a test rather than my Smart Connect 2.4 GHz + 5 GHz network) I got "No internet connection".  I was connecting to the network but not getting any valid IP address. 

I logged into my router via a PC with a wired connection and found the only attached devices were wired, no wireless.  I disabled the router as a DCHP server and it appeared to restart when I applied the setting.  After that, I saw that the devices configured with static IPs came back.  I re-enabled the DCHP server and applied and all devices came back after the restart.  

This would seem to indicate an issue with the router forgetting MAC/IP address assignments, though the reboot could be fixing anything.  It does make we wonder if there is an issue refreshing DCHP leases.  Hard to separate symptoms from problems.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 6

As said before, see message from @Case850, there is a long running discussion of this issue:

Adding to this conversation probably won't get very far.

Message 5 of 6
jontyblack
Aspirant

To confirm the issue with the 2.4G. I have been running with just the 5G and haven't experienced any futher issues

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7