Reply

R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

bsnuggs
Aspirant

R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

I tried to log into my R7000 router today, but was unable to.  After rebooting the router I could log into the web interface for a few minutes, but after a few minutes it loses communication again.  The only way I could get the web interface up again was to reboot the router...but again, it only works for a few minutes.  All other router functionality is fine during this time.   I just can't reliably make changes unless I do them as fast as I can before the web interface goes down.  I've factory reset it, make sure the firmware was up to date, reloaded the config, etc.  Problem still exists.  Any ideas?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 23
chert
Apprentice

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

I had the same problem.

Clear the browser cache and that should solve it.

Message 2 of 23

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

Or try a different browser.

 

If that fails, what firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 23
bsnuggs
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

R7000-V1.0.9.60_10.2.60

Message 4 of 23
bsnuggs
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

Cleared the browser cache.  No change.

Tried Chrome, Edge and Firefox.  No change.

Message 5 of 23

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

Strange.

 

Have you tried the desktop genie app?

 

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

 

You are out of luck if you are a Mac person. Netgear abandoned those a while back.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 23
bsnuggs
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

Untitled.png

Message 7 of 23
bsnuggs
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

I also can't register my router.  Don't know if that's related or not.

Message 8 of 23

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

We'll have to wait for someone to approve those pictures.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 9 of 23
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart


@bsnuggs wrote:

I also can't register my router.  Don't know if that's related or not.


Could be. Usually means it was used prior to you getting it possibly (always a chance it was registered by someone entering the S/N wrong on the router they had)? If so it might have been returned as it didn't work and re-packaged? If it can't be made to work maybe taking back to where you bought it for exchange might not be a bad idea, but I've seen many posts here from people that can't register routers so it isn't totally unusual.

Message 10 of 23

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart


@IrvSp wrote:

@bsnuggs wrote:

I also can't register my router.  Don't know if that's related or not.


Could be. Usually means it was used prior to you getting it possibly (always a chance it was registered by someone entering the S/N wrong on the router they had)?


Indeed, but the error at the end of the link posted is not that clear.

 

The "already registered" thing is, as you say, common, albeit puzzling.

 

But what do we make of

 


"Something went wrong, Please contact support team."

 

Or

 


I try with Genie and it says: "Resource Validation Error".

 

Neither of those is familiar to me.

 

If they are genuine messages, and not just an interpretation of error messages, something else may be happening.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 11 of 23
bsnuggs
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

Untitled.png

Message 12 of 23
bsnuggs
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

Untitled.png

Message 13 of 23
bsnuggs
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

I bought it new, but it was 4 1/2 years ago.   I don't remember registering it then.  I was trying to register it now so I could possibly use the Alexa functionality.

Message 14 of 23
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

CAN'T see those, needs Moderator Approval to see them, and it can take some time or someone with SUPER power allowing it. Best to ATTACH a single screen capture or multiple ones in a PDF via the BROWSE button on the bottem. They show as a LINK on the right along with the message.

Message 15 of 23

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart


@IrvSp wrote:

Best to ATTACH a single screen capture or multiple ones in a PDF via the BROWSE button on the bottem. They show as a LINK on the right along with the message.


Do that and someone may embed them for you!

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 16 of 23

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart


@bsnuggs wrote:

I was trying to register it now so I could possibly use the Alexa functionality.

 


Don't hold your breath. This is something that may have vanished in a firmware "upgrade".

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 17 of 23
bsnuggs
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

Solved by getting a new router.  It was time anyway.

Message 18 of 23
dzharri
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

I too have this same symptom on a R800 running v1.0.4.28 (and whatever it had yesterday!)

This was fine a couple of months ago so not sure what has happened. Known changes: new PC on and connected almost permanently; a LG TV; another Alexa (Dot). I have a static IP (or rather a DHCP reservation) at the ISP. They have made a DNS change for me recently to allow my IP address to resolve to my MX hostname. 

 

For me if I disconnect the modem and then reboot the router I can maintain a connection to the admin page from my computer for as long as I need to. If I connect the modem and reboot I can maintain a connection for a few seconds after the wifi connection is established.

 

I will be resetting to factory defaults and hoping that this helps but if the solution is a new router you can bet your bottom dollar it won't be a Netgear!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 19 of 23
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart


@dzharri wrote:

I too have this same symptom on a R800 running v1.0.4.28 (and whatever it had yesterday!)

This was fine a couple of months ago so not sure what has happened. Known changes: new PC on and connected almost permanently; a LG TV; another Alexa (Dot). I have a static IP (or rather a DHCP reservation) at the ISP. They have made a DNS change for me recently to allow my IP address to resolve to my MX hostname. 



Did the ISP change happen yesterday? Not sure what you meant by "I too have this same symptom on a R800 running v1.0.4.28 (and whatever it had yesterday!)"? Can you clarify that?

 

"Known changes: new PC on and connected almost permanently; a LG TV; another Alexa (Dot)."

 

Did any specific change (I assume this is what was changed since it was working fine) change cause the problem adding a specific device? Did you disconnect all those and assured the problem was still there?

 

"They have made a DNS change for me recently to allow my IP address to resolve to my MX hostname."

 

What do you mean by the MX hostname? Did you mean that they (the ISP) added an MX record to their DNS servers to point to your Mail Server? Can you explain what was done? Did the DNS IP Address change?

 


@dzharri wrote:

For me if I disconnect the modem and then reboot the router I can maintain a connection to the admin page from my computer for as long as I need to. If I connect the modem and reboot I can maintain a connection for a few seconds after the wifi connection is established.

 

I will be resetting to factory defaults and hoping that this helps but if the solution is a new router you can bet your bottom dollar it won't be a Netgear!


This is interesting.  Works fine when router not connected to modem, but doesn't when they are connected together. ISP made some unknown (to us) DNS change? I wonder how your network topology looks like from the ISP conection coming in, to the modem (make and model please and mode in if a combo unit) to the R7000 and if an AP or another router is involved? This really sounds like a DOUBLE NAT situation? For reference, look HERE.

 

Basically it seems from your description, "I can maintain a connection for a few seconds after the wifi connection is established." one of the wireless devices might be taking the IP Address of your router and the router drops off-line? Doesn't make sense though as if it did, nothing would work?

 

Question? If you have NO devices connecting to Wireless (all powered off) would you stay connected when WiFi came up?

 

 

Message 20 of 23
dzharri
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart


@IrvSp wrote:

@dzharri wrote:

I too have this same symptom on a R800 running v1.0.4.28 (and whatever it had yesterday!)

This was fine a couple of months ago so not sure what has happened. Known changes: new PC on and connected almost permanently; a LG TV; another Alexa (Dot). I have a static IP (or rather a DHCP reservation) at the ISP. They have made a DNS change for me recently to allow my IP address to resolve to my MX hostname. 



Did the ISP change happen yesterday? Not sure what you meant by "I too have this same symptom on a R800 running v1.0.4.28 (and whatever it had yesterday!)"? Can you clarify that?

 

"Known changes: new PC on and connected almost permanently; a LG TV; another Alexa (Dot)."

 

Did any specific change (I assume this is what was changed since it was working fine) change cause the problem adding a specific device? Did you disconnect all those and assured the problem was still there?

 

"They have made a DNS change for me recently to allow my IP address to resolve to my MX hostname."

 

What do you mean by the MX hostname? Did you mean that they (the ISP) added an MX record to their DNS servers to point to your Mail Server? Can you explain what was done? Did the DNS IP Address change?

 


@dzharri wrote:

For me if I disconnect the modem and then reboot the router I can maintain a connection to the admin page from my computer for as long as I need to. If I connect the modem and reboot I can maintain a connection for a few seconds after the wifi connection is established.

 

I will be resetting to factory defaults and hoping that this helps but if the solution is a new router you can bet your bottom dollar it won't be a Netgear!


This is interesting.  Works fine when router not connected to modem, but doesn't when they are connected together. ISP made some unknown (to us) DNS change? I wonder how your network topology looks like from the ISP conection coming in, to the modem (make and model please and mode in if a combo unit) to the R7000 and if an AP or another router is involved? This really sounds like a DOUBLE NAT situation? For reference, look HERE.

 

Basically it seems from your description, "I can maintain a connection for a few seconds after the wifi connection is established." one of the wireless devices might be taking the IP Address of your router and the router drops off-line? Doesn't make sense though as if it did, nothing would work?

 

Question? If you have NO devices connecting to Wireless (all powered off) would you stay connected when WiFi came up?

 

 


I had a previous version of the firmware yesterday - I managed to upgrade it. While the kids were out I turned off Wifi and just connected my laptop to it... the same symptoms existed. If not connected to the openreach modem it was fine but as soon as it was connected the admin pages became unavailable. The admin pages said they had my static ip address so I don't think it was double nating.

I reset it to factory defaults and then spent the afternoon trying to remember the configuration options (it would have been helpful if the config file that I had backed up was in human readable text).

All seems okay this morning so I guess a configuration option had got set wrongly somewhere but it only started causing a problem recently,

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 21 of 23
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

@dzharri, too late now, but I take screen shots of all the GUI pages that had changes and save them. Update whenever I make a change too. That way I have a reference.

 

Readable is a nice idea, but I suspect the problem is that if it were, people could change it by editing. So either it would have to be checksum'ed or just be able to be reloaded without one. Edit something 'wrong' and you might be in worse shape. Of course it NG were to document the file  and comment what it meant on each line and how or what to change it to would be a nice upgrade.

Message 22 of 23
antinode
Guru

Re: R7000 Web interface won't stay up more than a few minutes after router restart

> [...] (it would have been helpful if the config file that I had backed
> up was in human readable text). [...]

   For some models, it is:

      https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1581144

> [...] I take screen shots of all the GUI pages that had changes and
> save them. [..]

   I take notes.  The "GUI pages" don't always show all the required
configuration steps.

> [...] either it would have to be checksum'ed [...]

      https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1660998

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1978 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E