Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000. What WiFi adaptor do I need to go into the back of a DISH receiver (VIP211K) to get internet?

raddoc54
Aspirant

R7000. What WiFi adaptor do I need to go into the back of a DISH receiver (VIP211K) to get internet?

Need Netgear WiFi adaptor to plug into the back of a DISH Satellite Receiver (VIP 211K) so TV can get internet connectivity. DISH said Model no. WNDA3100V2 would work, but can only find WNDA3100V3 on Amazon. Are these the same? Thanks.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
myersw
Master

Re: R7000. What WiFi adaptor do I need to go into the back of a DISH receiver (VIP211K) to get inter

When I had Dish you could order the adapter from Dish and it was so much cheaper then anyplace else that I bought 2. 

If Dish still offers the adaper and good price go there.

They have 2 different chipset from different manufacturers so they are not the same. Would use different drivers which would mean your Dish box OS supports it. Only folks that can answer your question for sure is Dish and someone who has done it. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9

All Replies

Re: R7000. What WiFi adaptor do I need to go into the back of a DISH receiver (VIP211K) to get inter

@raddoc54 wrote:

Need Netgear WiFi adaptor to plug into the back of a DISH Satellite Receiver (VIP 211K) so TV can get internet connectivity.

I do not understand the question.

A satellite receiver should just provide an Ethernet outlet that you connect to the WAN input in the router.

The TV then connects to the router either with wifi or with an Ethernet cable connected into the back of the router.

The WNDA3100V2 is a USB wifi adapter that works on a Windows PC. It will not work if you plug it into a TV or anything else for that matter.

Is there any reason why you have R7000 in your message footer? Do you own one of those?

Message 2 of 9
myersw
Master

When I had Dish you could order the adapter from Dish and it was so much cheaper then anyplace else that I bought 2. 

If Dish still offers the adaper and good price go there.

They have 2 different chipset from different manufacturers so they are not the same. Would use different drivers which would mean your Dish box OS supports it. Only folks that can answer your question for sure is Dish and someone who has done it. 

Message 3 of 9
raddoc54
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

Message 4 of 9

Be careful about what DISH tells you. They have altready proved that they do not know what they are talking about.

This suggestion, for example, is complete tosh:

DISH said Model no. WNDA3100V2 would work...

It proves that they do not understand how Netgear's USB adapters work.

Message 5 of 9
raddoc54
Aspirant

Yes, that is the exact adaptor model they told me to purchase and then simply plug it into my DISH satellite receiver USB port. Are you sure it will not work? My wireless WiFi router is Netgear R7000.

Message 6 of 9

@raddoc54 wrote:

Are you sure it will not work?

Pretty sure. That's why I warned against taking their word for it.

There is a manual for the WNDA3100v2 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>>WNDA3100v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<<

Among the System Requirements it says "Microsoft® Windows 7, 8, XP®, Vista®: (32/64-bit)"

Same for the newer V3 variant. That replaces the V2, which celebrates its 10th birthday later this year.

So unless someone has cooked up a way of getting it to run on whatever your satellite box uses, it will sit there doing nothing.

Devices like this, smart TVS and other things with USB ports need special devices if they want to get wifi.

The USB  on these things is essentially there to support storage devices.

Is this VIP211K the thing that delivers the Internet to you? Or is this just a TV service with something else doing that?

Go back to basics. Does your DISH receiver also work as a router with LAN ports? Or do you have a separate router on your network? Does the TV has a wired LAN port in the back?

Message 7 of 9
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward 

Michael, I had dish. The wifi adapter was for the dish box to talk to dish. Things like pay per view and software updates to name a few. They did not use the satellite for two way communications. Satellite was strickly for providing content down to the dish box and then, of course, tv. 

Message 8 of 9
raddoc54
Aspirant

My DISH receiver (211K) does not have internet connectivity so DISH said to get this USB WiFi adaptor and plug it into the box which would allow me to get Pay per View. I found one on Amazon for $20  made by Netgear. I will know in a few days if it does what it is supposed to. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7