R7000 Wifi network visible, but unable to connect at times?

Bogeyftw
Aspirant

R7000 Wifi network visible, but unable to connect at times?

This is regarding the R7000 Nighthawk router. About once a week all devices won't be able to connect to the WiFi, even though its visible. I have both 2.5 and 5ghz set up. When I try to connect through my phone it'll say authentication problem, the only way to fix this is to unplug the router for 30 sec and plug it back in.

I just maxed out my phone's data because my family didn't know the WiFi was not connected. This is super annoying to have to unplug each time to fix this. Any fix for this? I am on the most current firmware.
Message 1 of 15
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 Wifi network visible, but unable to connect at times?

Questions:

• Are you using WPA2-PSK [AES] or WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] for security?
  • Is it the SAME on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID?
  • Are you using SMART CONNECT (which required both Passphrase and Security to be the same on both bands)?

When all the devices can't connect, what SSID are they on? Wondering if you have some interference knocking it off, but then again a power cycle shouldn't solve that?

There is a program called ACRYLIC that will display (on a PC) the various channels and power signal levels it sees. I'd run it when everything is working and take a screenshot and then when you can't connect and take a screenshot and compare it. If the Signal levels are down then the router could be the problem. If you see other strong signals on the same channel, then that could be the cause. I'd not set the wireles channel to AUTO but a fixed one and that program will help you find a less used band.

Message 2 of 15
Driver8666
Tutor

I'm having this issue too connecting my mom's laptop, so I just gave up on it and searched the forums. I bought this last Friday and had to set it up on my phone, as the phone can see the wireless network on the router, but the computer could see it and not connect to it. After a firmware upgrade, any new device fails to connect on the WiFi. On my laptop, it's connected but no internet. On my mom's laptop, it doesn't connect at all. That's as it stands now. But all my phones and my printer were/is able to connect. I managed to connect them after I set it up. Still baffles me. When I was setting it up, I can add the phones and the printer. With this firmware I can't add anything. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 15
Bogeyftw
Aspirant

Hi,

• I'm using WPA2-PSK [AES].
  • It is the same for 5ghz.
  • Smart connect is not enabled.

When I can't connect, I want to say it's 5ghz for me since that's how most of my personal devices are connected. But it won't let me connect to the 2.4ghz network as well. 

I'll have to try the ACRYLIC and update my findings when it goes down again, thanks for the recommendations.

Message 4 of 15
Bogeyftw
Aspirant

Yeah that's weird. Think you might be ok, since other devices could connect besides the laptop. Sounds like a laptop issue instead of the router, but its weird how it happened to both your and your mom's laptop. For me I could see the network in the network list, but it wouldn't connect to it on either devices.

Message 5 of 15
Driver8666
Tutor

My laptops are ruled out however as I am riding the WiFi pine here at work using my laptop hooked into the WiFi network here. They also worked when I directly used my cable modem as an "access point" I looked for that and there aren't issues, so if I can ride the wavy gravy here at work, on the Wifi, my computer is ruled out. It has to be the firmware for the router. No other explanation. I'll take my laptop up to the Party Room here at work and post back or edit. 

Definitely not the computer. As shown in the screenshot. From this I can conclusively conclude it's the router and not the 2 computers. Even though it's blurry, you can clearly see that I was able to access the Party Room's WiFi. 

2017-02-13 (1).png

Message 6 of 15
IrvSp
Master

It still can be the laptop. It might be 'confused' in the TCP/IP stack. Especially if you are using the SAME SSID as work.

Could also be that work and party room has different Security, not AES. A neighbor had a problem with an older Toshiba he upgraded to W10. Could see the router and couldn't connect. Windows driver was ultimately the problem. Had to go to Toshiba and get the latest W-Fi Driver for his laptop and it then worked. Had worked fine under W7 before the upgrade to W10.

An easy way to test this too. Find a store like Staples or Office Depot, make sure returns are free for technology. Buy a USB WiFi device and try that and see if it works. If it does, it is the laptop device. That will isolate the problem and you can go from there... either keep the USB or return it and focus on the laptop device.

Still, the problem could be in the network TCP/IP stack as it can't switch cleanly from work to home.

Message 7 of 15
Driver8666
Tutor

Well, here's the result now that I'm at home. That one was done at work. Maybe it's the router. Who knows. 

DeathProof666 is my network. The hp Printer is mine. 2017-02-13 (4).png

Message 8 of 15
IrvSp
Master

So you are connected to your network then?

This thread is a mix of problems for 2 different people. Makes it hard to figure out?

I guess I don't understand? You said you connect at work, and then showed that AND the home?

Message 9 of 15
Driver8666
Tutor

Here's the thing: When I bought the router and was setting it up, I had to set it up on my phone rather than my computer. My computer could see it, but not connect to it, hence the phone via the wireless connection. The phone could see and connect to it. I didn't think much of it, until I tried to put my laptop and my mom's laptop on the wireless wavy gravy. That's when I ran into the problems. Whether it's a hiccup or not, I have no clue, but it's still in line with the OP's topic. I bought this specifically because of NAT issues with my Xbox One (the Hitron CGN3ACMSR and the Xbox One don't play well together, I kept on getting Moderate and Strict NAT's on my Xbox One. My cable company tried to blame it on Microsoft, but I shot them down when I said It was open when I configured the ports so it would be open. You screwed (used another word with them) it up). This is what lead me to get the R7000. When I did the research, it was mandatory I get one that plays nicely with not only the Xbox One, but the PlayStation 4 as well, since my brother uses that. 

Before I could connect at home on my laptop but no Internet (I was going to use a different term, that's probably inappropriate in this forum, starts with a P and ends with the word Pipeline), and my mom's laptop couldn't connect at all. Both computers however were ruled out because they worked when I was using my cable modem as a gateway. This morning, since I ran that test in the Party Room at work, I went home and since my Mom's phone wasn't on the WiFi at home, I set that up. That was accepted. Then I used my laptop to connect. That worked. Then last, but not least, my mom's laptop. All 3 connected. I'll chalk this one up to maybe the weather here in Canada. Or maybe the router had a hiccup. Who knows. 

So all my wireless devices can now see and connect to the router. My Xbox One and my laptop are wired in because I stream from my Xbox One to my laptop in my room. I don't have an issue with that. Streaming is fine. 

Now's here's another issue. My printer is on the WiFi gravy train. If I send a pic from my phone to the printer, it'll print. But if I send a document from my computer to the printer, it says it's offline, when it's not. Is that an issue with the router or the printer. It's an hp Envy 7640. 

Message 10 of 15
IrvSp
Master

I'm on W10 on 2 PC's. Have an HP 7520 and also had an HP 310A. Both wireless. Occasionally on both printers this happens to us too. PC can not communicate with the printer. More often on my W10 home version than wife's W10 Pro. Two ways to usually fix this, re-install the Printer s/w or get HP's Print and Scan Dr. and run it. Usually fixes it for me. Go to HP and look for s/w for your computer and d/l from there.

Message 11 of 15
Bogeyftw
Aspirant

Sorry for the late reply. So the wireless router did go down again last week. I didn't have a chance to install the Acrylic software till today. So I took this screen shot and will do another one when it goes down again. The weird thing is when it goes down, i don't think it broadcasts the wifi name at all.

For the pic below, the top two signals are from my wifi router (5ghz and 2.4ghz). I noticed that my neighbor is running the same 5GHZ channels as me (4th down), do you think i should change it? Would this be the cause of the wifi disconnecting? I have never connected to my neighbor's signal before, so not sure if that would even be the case. 

Edit: Just checked my router settings and it's not set on auto for 5ghz, but it's set at channel 153. Would it even make a difference if I changed the channel since it seems like it has multiple channels on the scanner?

wifichannels.jpg

Message 12 of 15
IrvSp
Master

The appears to be strongs signals at 5 and 6?

Check when it goes down. No SSID being broadcast is of bigger concern than interference. If that happens then the problem would be in the router.

Message 13 of 15
Driver8666
Tutor

Thought I'd let you know, everything is good now, with the printer. Turns out I had to reinstall the software. 

Message 14 of 15
William10a
Master

I would not think the 5ghz is causing the problem their signal is very weak and yours is very strong must be near the router you have the wifi scaning program do a running log to see over time what the signals are doing.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E