Re: R7000 Working fine but can't log into router setup

Hucklebrau
Aspirant

R7000 Working fine but can't log into router setup

My R7000 is working normally in both 2.4 and 5ghz modes.  My wired pc is hitting the internet with no problem and printing to the wired printer with no problem.  All our wireless pc's, phones, tv's, XBox's, and tablets are getting internet with no problem.

But my wired PC can't log in to the router setup page.  IPConfig shows my gateway is 192.168.1.1, subnet is 255.255.255.0, and my pc's ip is 192.168.1.4.  All the stars are aligned right?  Except I can't go to the setup page.  I've tried the netgear setup link, I've tried typing 192.168.1.1 into various browsers, but nothing works ("This webpage is not available").  My Genie app works on my phone and I can even run the startup program from my phone!  Must be a problem with the PC, right?  Except I can't find it.  PLEASE HELP!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18

Are you using Kaspersky anti virus?

Unable to access router management page with Kaspersky installed | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 18
enigmamia
Aspirant

exact same problem! did you get an answer??

Message 3 of 18

See the many messages that appear around here under the "cannot login to router" theme.

Search results

For example:

Solved: Cannot login to router login .net. - NETGEAR Communities

Solved: Can ' t Login to Router on WiFi or with the App - NETGEAR Communities

Solved: Cannot login to router wndr3700ve3 from Windows 10... - NETGEAR ...

You'll have to try the various suggestions that they make. If they don't work for you, come back with details of what you have tried and the results you got.

It may be a bit tedious but it is necessary because there can be various reasons for what you see. And it will be quicker if you try a few things rather than wait for the to and fro of questions and answers here.

Most manuals also have troubleshooting sections that cover this problem.

As a first stab, dig out the Quick Start guide for your hardware and check that you have followed the correct order of starting things.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 18
Hucklebrau
Aspirant

Michaelkenward,

Sorry about the delay, but holidays have kept me from dealing with this.  So here goes...

Only one of the solutions you listed describes the same problem.
Per your examples...

This one most closely describes my problem. 

Solved: Cannot login to router login .net. - NETGEAR Communities

... but their solution did not fix my problem. It did change my results from "Unable to read this page" to "There is a problem with this website's security certificate".  This page has a link that reads "Continue to this website (not recommended)."  But clicking this option has no effect.  It still won't proceed to the router interface.

Solved: Can ' t Login to Router on WiFi or with the App - NETGEAR Communities

This is not the same problem.

Solved: Cannot login to router wndr3700ve3 from Windows 10... - NETGEAR ...

I'm using Win7 and have tried this solution with no effect.

Here's what we know.

My gateway is 192.168.1.1, mask is 255.255.255.0.
My IP is consistently in the 192.168.1.xxx range.
I can ping 192.168.1.1 from my PC with no problem.

I can browse and have many programs which use the internet with no problem.
I'm running Windows 7 using iExplore and Chrome.
The TLS 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 are checked in my IExplore security settings.
I have both iExplore.exe and Chrome.exe listed in my Kaspersky exclusions.
I am not configured to use a Proxy server.
I have reset my router to factory settings, same results.

When I turn Kaspersky off... no change.

Getting desperate.

Message 5 of 18

@Hucklebrau wrote:
When I turn Kaspersky off... no change.

Not good enough.

Read this:

Unable to access router management page with Kaspersky installed | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Go all the way to the end:

If you are still unable to access the page, you will need to uninstall Kaspersky, and then access the page. Please contact Kaspersky support for more information and assistance. Once you have successfully accessed the page, reinstall Kaspersky.

That advice from Netgear is based on numerous reports here.

Solved: Re: Can't Access Admin Page - NETGEAR Communities

Solved: Unable to reach Router using IP from one PC howeve... - NETGEAR Communities

There are more where they came from.

Like I said, the answer is among the many featured here for "can't access" problem. The trouble is in pinning it down to the real cause. Had you mentioned Kapsersky in your first message – no reason why you should – we could have saved you some of that desperation.

There's no guarantee that this will fix your problem, but there is a pretty good chance that you are yet an other victim of Kaspersky, with a bug in its software that has been known about for quite some time.

Just another user.

Message 6 of 18
Hucklebrau
Aspirant

Uninstall my virus protection software?  That's just ridiculous.

Netgear needs to get the security certificate on their router registered with Microsoft, Kaspersky, and whoever else.

I'll just have to maintain my router from my smartphone.

Thanks anyway.  My next router will be a Linksys.

Message 7 of 18

Uninstall my virus protection software?  That's just ridiculous.

Uninstall and then reinstall. It has worked for other people.

If you are worried about infection, disconnect from the Internet while you do it.

Netgear needs to get the security certificate on their router registered with Microsoft, Kaspersky, and whoever else.

That's not the problem. Kaspersky needs to fix its software. Other AV programs do not have the same effect with Netgear devices. You may find that Kasperky also affects other makes.

Just another user.

Message 8 of 18
mickalow
Aspirant

I am using Win10 and installed a new R7000. I could not setup the router via my pc because of the inability to access routerlogin.net. I used my iphone to complete the setup. I spoke with support, in India, for over two hours and got nowhere. No clue as to what the problem was, which seems to be fairly common. I saw on here that Kaspersky was an issue so I bit the bullet and uninstalled it, rebooted and amazingly enough, routerlogin.net started working. I then reinstalled Kaspersky and it continues to work. I don't know who is at fault, but for a quick fix, this seems to do the trick.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 18

@mickalow wrote:

I spoke with support, in India, for over two hours and got nowhere.

You mean the support centre did not mention this possibility?

Who trains those people?

They seem to be good at trying to sell their services, but rubbish at solving problems.

The Kapsersky thing is on the shortlist of things to try whenever the "can't login" issue comes up here.

Just another user.

Message 10 of 18
William10a
Master

The Genie has you too windows has problems with Genie and your antivirus program I not what version you have installed but acts like a firewall when see thing it does like Windows 10 also has few reports of problems with Genie it is a fright between programers and the users losts try this disable your antivuris for short time and try to log into your router.

Message 11 of 18

This is now an old problem.

The person who first posed it refuses to try the known solution and has gone away. Their choice. Guess they have learned to live with the symptoms.

The latest messages have come from someone who did try the suggested solution and fixed the issue that way.

Apart from that, you may well be right.

Just another user.

Message 12 of 18
Hucklebrau
Aspirant

I haven't gone anywhere.  I'm simply waiting for a viable solution from Netgear.  Copping out and pointing a finger at the other guy (Kaspersky) is not a solution, it's a work around.  They have the ability to fix this issue without forcing end users to uninstall conflicting software.  This computer is my primary admin computer on my home network, so I'd rather use it to configure my router.  But I can use one of the kids to do it, if that's what Netgear thinks is the right thing to do.  When they provide a real solution, I will call this issue resolved.

Message 13 of 18
William10a
Master

The problem is not just a Netgear problem Genie software has a set a of codes that the router listen to and the antivuris happens to listen to the same codes and finds them to it's disliking it takes programing groups time to find the code and make updates and work around is all you can do until enough time has pasted for the next update to come out in the case of antvuris that's anywhere from a week to daily. That's why i like to access routers and modems by computer and not a program like Genie sometimes the old way is still the best it keeps your mind sharp. If you were to try to update some Furuno which used a ip address to a windows 7 or later machine it would not wot the work around is a network switch between the two the switch allow the navnet to have it's ip address and the computer it's own the only way it worked.

Message 14 of 18

@Hucklebrau wrote:

They have the ability to fix this issue without forcing end users to uninstall conflicting software. 

No one is suggesting that you "uninstall conflicting software" permanently.

I can understand why you don't want to do that, but if you read the messages, they suggest that you temporarily uninstall Kaspersky.

If you are really worried, you can disconnect everything from the Internet. (Just pull the plug out of the wall.) Uninstall Kaspersky. Connect to the browser front end. Ensure that it works. Then reinstall Kaspersky. Plug the Internet in again and reel back in shock when you find that you can still connect to the router's web interface again. Funky.

That has worked for very many people. I have yet to see reports of the sky falling in when people do that.

Yes, Netgear and Kaspersky should bang their heads together and fix it. Perhaps they have tried and found that this is a marriage made in hell. But as this has been going on for some years now, you are left with the option of doing nothing or trying the standard workaround.

The choice is yours. I fear that you won't get much further simply by banging on about " a real solution".

Feel free to mark your problem as solved. That might help people who come along with the same problem. They will see that at least one user tried the suggested routine and got it to work.

Just another user.

Message 15 of 18

@William10a wrote:

That's why i like to access routers and modems by computer and not a program like Genie ...

That's the problem. If "by computer" you mean a browser, it doesn't work for some people when Kaspersky is installed.

If you have another way of getting in there – one that does not use the desktop genie or the browser – then a detailed explanation of how you do that might be invaluable to those who have an innate fear of uninstalling their AV software, albeit it temporarily.

Just another user.

Message 16 of 18
Hucklebrau
Aspirant

"...But as this has been going on for some years now, you are left with the option of doing nothing or trying the standard workaround."

I do quite a lot of programming myself.  When one of my programs has a problem, I fix it.  If there's a work around, it's temporary.  Very temporary. As you say, this has been going on for some years now.  A company like Netgear should have the know-how and budget to either fix the fundimental issue, or partner with Kaspersky to find a solution.

I can use my daughter's computer for now.  I'm not in any hurry to mark this issue as solved, as it is not solved.  It's been avoided or ignored...  for years.   I'll wait.

Message 17 of 18
William10a
Master

What I was saying does your antivuris have a time out setting that you set for limited time to do what you need and starts back up if it does use it you will still have both programs but you will able to use the Genie when you need it. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E