Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 ac1900 Can't login

GlenReid
Guide

R7000 ac1900 Can't login

I'm not able to access web pages. When I try to login to the router I get a terms and conditions screen that tells me I must agree to the terms or return my router, with a 2017 last updated. I can ping to the internet and my ISP tells me they don't see any thing wrong. If I connect directly to the POE (bypassing the router) I'm able to access web pages okay. I'm concerned this may be a phishing or ransomware attempt. Could it be the router is corrupt and needs to be reset? Trying not to shoot myself in the foot.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
GlenReid
Guide

Really struggling with what I do if I do a reset to factor defaults (which I haven't done yet) and this same message pops up. And of course I could get a new router and install it and maybe the same message pops. Is Netgear setting the message or is a piece of malware in my computer setting. Hmmm... 

I've got an old xp machine sitting in the corner that hasn't been on line lately. Maybe I should hook the router up to it and see what happens. 🙂

I don't know. I'm going to let this cook overnight or so and see what seems to make sense tomorrow.

Thanks for your efforts.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

do you have a screen snip of this? 

have you tried a factory reset and clean install on the router? 

are you installing using the app or using the browser based install method? 

Message 2 of 8
GlenReid
Guide

This is the screenshotThis is the screenshotI haven't tried to do a reset yet. I wanted to make sure that was the appropriate action. I'm not sure if this is a valid Netgear respose telling me to do that or if it's a attemp by a hacker to get me to hit the accept button.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Photos can take several days as they have to be approved by a  moderator. 

You can click on "choose file" and attach them

Message 4 of 8
GlenReid
Guide

Apparently I don't know how to get a screen print into the message box. It is saved in the png format. I didn't have much luck on-line. Can you explain how to do that?

I have gone through the troubleshooting steps in the user manual and everything seems to be okay. The LED's behave as described on power up. I can send pings and tracert through the router from the command prompt.

When I try to login the the router using both the http://.www.routerlogin.net or the ip address 192.168.1.1 the first thing that appears on the screen is this "NEGEAR Service Terms and Conditions" message, not the usual request for the user id followed by a password request. Maybe that is normal on a install/reinstall/reset but it seems to me that the user id and password would come first.That is how it is explained in the user manual.

That is what makes me leary of clicking on the "I accept" box at the botton of that screen. Sure would appreciate some advice on this.

Oh yeah, I using windows 10 edge browser. And this router was installed in August of 2020 to replace the identical router that got zapped by lighting. 

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

I don't have a r7000 to test it on. 

But if you've factory reset it, there shouldn't be anything on it. 

Plus you could always disconnect it from the modem and set it up

Message 6 of 8
GlenReid
Guide

Really struggling with what I do if I do a reset to factor defaults (which I haven't done yet) and this same message pops up. And of course I could get a new router and install it and maybe the same message pops. Is Netgear setting the message or is a piece of malware in my computer setting. Hmmm... 

I've got an old xp machine sitting in the corner that hasn't been on line lately. Maybe I should hook the router up to it and see what happens. 🙂

I don't know. I'm going to let this cook overnight or so and see what seems to make sense tomorrow.

Thanks for your efforts.

Message 7 of 8
GlenReid
Guide

Okay, I got brave and reset the router to factory defaults. It again brought up the accept service terms and conditions window. So, I accepted. It was a valid Netgear page not a hack attempt. I was led through a reinstall and 10-minuted later I was up and running.

I did notice in the url window what looked be a Microsoft url. "www.msftconnecttest.com/redirect" I felt a little safer once I noticed that.

Thanks again for the help.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7