R7000 access issues starting from FW 1.0.9.x

yurypal
Aspirant

R7000 access issues starting from FW 1.0.9.x

Hi, I use R7000 as a dumb switch (DHCP server off) with wireless access point turned on. There is a more capable router in network serving as DHCP. Also I have external HDD connected to its USB3.0 port for 'Time Machine' backups and some media access in my local network. No DLNA nor apple music server functionalities are in use - I keep it very simple to avoid extra CPU load. 

However, every 2 or 3 days I have to reboot router because I lose access to it. When I try to access the web-server, the page would always display the "Router Password Recovery" prompt asking for router SN and then my secret questions, even though there were no attempts to login previously. When I actually do restore the password and try to login, the web-page just keeps hanging trying to load something forever. Also HDD access doesn't work. Only thing that works is the dumb switch functionality. After reboot things return back to normal, but just for a few days. Very annoying!

This has started since 1.0.9.x was rolled out (and this urge from Netgear to update for security reasons). Previously I had V1.0.7.12_1.2.5 and at least that basic setup used to work. I tried resetting everything to default, but no improvement. Other story is that after factory reset it took very long time to simply reconnect to the device using the default ip address 192.168.1.1 - plugging in this address to browser caused automatic redirect to routerlogin.net page, but instead of showing the web-interface it kept displaying message "not connected to internet" - someone tried to make things more user friendly, instead it's just frustration generator.

When I purchased this router I was fooled by promise of fast CPU and pack of NAS features. Year by year I keep turning off everything because just nothing works quite reliably. Now the preformance of the device has dropped to the value of a $10 switch. Is there a hope that dev-team at least know about these issues and working on making this device worth at least its component cost?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Re: R7000 access issues starting from FW 1.0.9.x

Hi yurypal,

Have you tried this firmware?

https://kb.netgear.com/000053870/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-26-Hot-Fix

Message 2 of 8
yurypal
Aspirant

Hi James, thanks for suggestion. I have tried installing this beta. Had it for 2 days but had to roll back again because situation is not better, yet slightly different. This time even after whole 2 days of having my setup working I still could login to my router using web-interface (progress!). However, as before, my workstation could not reconnect to the external hard drive plugged into R7000 USB3.0 port. What's new is that on second day (not immediately) devices within the same network stopped discovering each other. E.g. my phone and the Logitech harmony hub sit in the same network. Today I tried connecting to the hub via the Harmony app, but it said it had to establish the remote connection (via Internet!) to the device. After rebooting the router the problem disappeared. I should mention though that interraction between devices doing home automation has become noticeably slower.

Looks like someone is playing with security adjustment but can't make it right without braking the actual networking. Keep trying....

Message 3 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi yurypal,

But you did reset the router after the update?

Message 4 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi yurypal,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 5 of 8
yurypal
Aspirant

If restore to factory defaults counts as reset then yes. Can you spare a few lines to explain in which cases hard reset would make a difference? Thanks.

Message 6 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi yurypal,

This is only advisable if same issue happens with the latest firmware. Reset is needed to make sure that settings from previous firmware are totally erased. That is why it is recommended to do a factory reset and reconfigure it manually. You may check step one on page of the firmware where it says you need to write down settings as you may need to re-enter them manually.

If you have done with the reset, please PM me your contact details.

Message 7 of 8
yurypal
Aspirant

Just a follow up: firmware updates and hard factory resets seem to make no difference. After couple of days using the router, the USB-HDD attached to it disappear from the network and web-interface appears unresponsive. 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements