Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 access lag

pendaws
Aspirant

R7000 access lag

Firmware: V1.0.8.12-1.2.23
I have had this router for a couple of years and it has been running okay until the last FW update which made the router unusable?
I was annoyed and had to spend a lot of time fixing what this FW had done, but got it working okay again. I have NOT been willing to do anothger FW update because of the fiasco that occured last time but, now I have an issue that is slowly driving me nuts.
When I ping the router using my own network IP address, I get packet loss from 25% to 100% occasionally this translates into Net access also where it takes excessive time to access a webpage but not ALL the time. Today when I tried to access the router using it's IP address, I was DENIED access and ended up turning off the power for 10 minutes and for about 30 mins it worked find and then, it is back to doing the same thing. I can ping ANY other machine on my network (there are more than 10 units) and cannot repeat the error, it ONLY happens with the router.

Does anyone have an idea of what this may be?

I am using a NETGEAR Router and a 24 port Switch (Gigabit) with Cable that are CAT7.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R7000 access lag

Hi pendaws, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

@pendaws wrote:

Firmware: V1.0.8.12-1.2.23
I have had this router for a couple of years and it has been running okay until the last FW update which made the router unusable?
I was annoyed and had to spend a lot of time fixing what this FW had done, but got it working okay again. I have NOT been willing to do anothger FW update because of the fiasco that occured last time but, now I have an issue that is slowly driving me nuts.

That is quite old F/W! Latest is V1.0.9.32. There were many releases with the V1.0.9 version as well.

I wouldn't even try to hazard a guess why you are having such problems unless you updated to the latest. I'm sure a lot has been fixed since the one you are using, not to mention all the security updates done.

However, it is not at all clear why you are on that level? Did you try installing 1.0.9.32 and ran into problems? If so, you should post that an try to solve that rather than make things work (again?) on very old firmware.

I see the file you posted, what is at 136.130.166.100?  That is the Ford Motor Company? BTW, I get NOTHING when I try it?

C:\>ping 136.130.166.100
Pinging 136.130.166.100 with 32 bytes of data
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 136.130.166.100:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

"When I ping the router using my own network IP address, I get packet loss from 25% to 100% occasionally this translates into Net access also where it takes excessive time to access a webpage but not ALL the time"

See, same result here... I don't think this is a router issue unless the ROUTER is at that IP Address which I doubt as that isn't a PRIVATE IP Address. Seems like you are trying to reach it via the WAN IP Address (are you inside of Ford's network?) and the router is set to reject these PING's. Yes, there is a setting for this.

What IS the IP Address (not WAN IP Address) of the router? Post a PING to that.

Message 2 of 12
pendaws
Aspirant

The FW version is 1.0.9.12-1.2.23 not what is listed in the first post, obviously I didn't type very well.
The IP address is for my OWN network at home and all my machines on the network have that numbering sequence. I have been using this IP numbering system for 7 years.

Like I stated at the beginning, I am averse to upgrading the FW after the last time I had problems and almost ruined the router. I might try again with the latest FW but I hold little hope.

BTW, that IP address IS the router's IP. I set it years ago and all my network runs on that sequence. The pings ARE to the router.

Message 3 of 12
IrvSp
Master

Although you can set up any IP Address normally one would use one that is Private Lan.

However, the DNS is trying to go to Ford I suspect, and hence your problem with PING...

Was this a new development though? That I don't understand?

Message 4 of 12
pendaws
Aspirant

It started happening about 3 weeks ago and has gotten worse. I like using that IP address range because it isn't a private one.

It has NEVER been an issue before and, the range of IP addresses can only be accessed after bypassing the IP address of the provider I use.
I have all my other machines using IP addresses using the range and can ping them with no problem, it is JUST the router that has the problem. 

Message 5 of 12
IrvSp
Master

I really think this is a DNS issue caused by using addresses that are NOT private, and I assume the router using the same aa a registered Ford IP address?

Since it all worked before, well, that sort of points to the firmware update that failed and your recovery to an older firmware which you said wasn't easy. Possible some corruption internallly still exists.

It would seem you have a few choices here, and none may be likeable to you:

• Try to CLEAR the NVRAM (ERASE) under the ADVANCED tab, ADMINISTRATION, BACKUP SETTINGS, and then MANUALLY re-enter all settings.
  • Do the same steps as above but do not re-enter the settings, but load a new copy of the firmware you are using by d/l'ing it again and installing. Then re-enter settings manually.
  • Do the same steps as the 2nd option but instead of the present firmware using, get the latest firmware and then re-enter the settings manaully.

Since you had problem loading the latest firmware before I sort of suspect a partial install for some unknown reason and however you recovered was not really totally recovered causing your problems.

Message 6 of 12
pendaws
Aspirant

Well, I have temporarily fixed the issue. I put the cheap router that is given to us when we sign to the NBN, then I found that the issue has GONE away. It IS the router and I will make sure that I do more invetstigation when looking for a NEW router as this R7000 is questionable.
I don't buy the bit about private IP addresses as this FAILS the ping even when I remove it from the internet. It has been almost 12 months since the failed FW update and this has only happened within the last two weeks so, I doubt it is an issue.

Thanks for your ideas and I am sorry I was not able to fix the issue simply and will have to look at purchasing a NEW router that has a better rewiew and backup. My last purchase of netgear hardware.

Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@pendaws wrote:

It IS the router and I will make sure that I do more invetstigation when looking for a NEW router as this R7000 is questionable.
I don't buy the bit about private IP addresses as this FAILS the ping even when I remove it from the internet. It has been almost 12 months since the failed FW update and this has only happened within the last two weeks so, I doubt it is an issue.

Regardless of the LAN TCP/IP subnet configuration, the connection to the router and it's connected devices should be rock solid - fully agree.

Of course it's not the world greatest idea to run a subnet owned by another organisation instead of the RFC1918 private IP addresses - doing will potentially prohibit connections to addresses on the same subnet "out there". Not sure what advantage you think you gain if doing so, But that's mostly unrelated.

Message 8 of 12
pendaws
Aspirant

Hi there:

Did your ISP require a VLAN Tag to be configured on the R7000?
nO.

When did you switch across to the NBN?
October 2017

What is the model of the NBN router?

Sagecom ADSL router fast 3864 ( I have had to revert to this crappy router because the R7000 has died)

Are you on NBN/HFC?
Yes, it is HFC

Who is the ISP?
Optus is the one that charge me for internet use but NBN is government.

Before I banished the R7000 to the box it came in, I changed the IP address to a number starting with 172. and I did a hard reset before doing the change and STILL, the R7000 suffered the same issue. I bought this piece of flotsam in 2015 as I wanted something a little more updated from my WNDR4500 which, I have setup as an AP. It is very sad that these electronics die so easy as I staill have the CG 3000V1 cable router I used before the change to the NBN and it still works and is older than the R7000. 
From what I have read, the R7000 is unreliable and the support is like trying to get a refund from the government. I only wish that I had seen the bad reports before wasting a couple of hundred dollars on the R7000.

Message 9 of 12
pendaws
Aspirant

I will look into trying what you have said and see how it goes, thank you. 🙂

Message 10 of 12
pendaws
Aspirant

BTW, it is a unmanaged switch, Netgear 🙂

Message 11 of 12
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi pendaws, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7