Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 access point causes modem to lose internet connection

Technofear
Aspirant

R7000 access point causes modem to lose internet connection

My Melbourne, Australia home setup until recently has been Optus ISP => Netgear DGND3700 (wireless modem router) => LAN (ethernet wired house) & also have a Netgear WN3000RP (wireless range extender in the house). The LAN leads to 2 PCs, a SONOS product, and a Netgear NAS.

Recently I added the Netgear R7000 and set it up as an Access Point to improve the wireless coverage in my house.   The R7000 is ethernet wired to the LAN (and when working casts a powerful wireless signal).

Since connecting the R7000 my Netgear DGND3700 is constantly dropping its internet connection.

My solution is to turn off the DGND3700 and R7000, then restart the R7000, and then the DGND3700.   The internet connection will then be maintained for a couple of hours and then go off again.   If I only restart the DGND3700, then the internet connection remains indefinitely.

Any thoughts of how to maintain the internet connection whilst also running the R7000 access point would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: R7000 access point causes modem to lose internet connection

When you turned the R7000 into AP mode, you would have been been presented with a Web page that asks, what IP Address you want to give the R7000, or, if you wanted to have your DHCP Server give the device automatically. If you said automatically, then you should be ok, as DHCP keeps track of what devices gets what IP Addresses.

If you selected manual and entered an IP Address for the R7000, then you will need to reserve the IP Address, for the R7000.  See DGND3700 manual.

Your router should see the R7000 as a connected device. Note the MAC address of the R7000, this will be needed to reserve the IP address.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Have you confirmed you don't have any duplicate IP's (subnet mask or gateway issues) causing the conflict? (Double check your network configuration on the AP). In AP mode, it is just a layer two device.  Try reserving an IP address for the AP.

Message 2 of 4
Technofear
Aspirant

Thanks for the prompt reply.   I am quite a novice user, and wonder if you could suggest how I reserve an IP address for the AP.

What do I do to the R7000, and what do I do to the DGND3700.

Thanks again

Message 3 of 4
netwrks
Master

When you turned the R7000 into AP mode, you would have been been presented with a Web page that asks, what IP Address you want to give the R7000, or, if you wanted to have your DHCP Server give the device automatically. If you said automatically, then you should be ok, as DHCP keeps track of what devices gets what IP Addresses.

If you selected manual and entered an IP Address for the R7000, then you will need to reserve the IP Address, for the R7000.  See DGND3700 manual.

Your router should see the R7000 as a connected device. Note the MAC address of the R7000, this will be needed to reserve the IP address.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7