Re: R7000 and Arlo? Drop support without notifying?

shopkins1994
Luminary

R7000 and Arlo? Drop support without notifying?

I have an R7000 router that I was using with my Arlo cameras. The router solved all of my "connecting to camera" fail problems. Then, a few days ago I saw that there was a router upgrade, so I clicked the button. No more Arlo cameras and it seems that Netgear dropped Arlo support.

I had to set up my base station again (thank goodness I didn't sell it), and all my connecting problems are back. 

Does anyone know how to downgrade the router back to an arlo supported version?

Message 1 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gcfj80ygzyeqjhw/R7000-V1.0.6.28_1.1.83.chk?dl=0

download it and then manually update and browse to saved location

respond after you download it so I can delete it

New Features:

• Supports Arlo camera. Set up the R7000 as an Arlo base station and connect an Arlo camera to the R7000 without needing an extra base station..

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue in which port 1237 cannot be used in port forwarding.
  • Fixes the issue in which the Kwilt binary cannot be downloaded in some cases.
  • Fixes the issue in which MTU is not restored when IPv6 is disabled.

Please Note: If you have setup Port Forwarding, it needs to be re-configured after updating to firmware V1.0.6.28. Please remove all entries in the port forwarding table and add them back to reconfigure it.

To Install

Note: To avoid wireless disconnect issue during the firmware download process, NETGEAR recommends that firmware upgrade be performed on a computer with wired connection.

1. Write down all the settings which you changed from the default values, since you may need to re-enter them manually.
  2. Using the Download Link below, download and extract the new firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop. The filename after extracting is R7000-V1.0.6.28_1.1.83.chk

Download Link: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000-V1.0.6.28_1.1.83.zip
  3. Log in to the router using a Web browser. The URL is http://www.routerlogin.net.
  4. Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Firmware Upgrade. 
  5. Click Browse and find the file you just downloaded.
  6. Click Upload. Do not interrupt the upgrade while the router does this step.

Important Note:

1. The upgrade process is completed when the on screen progress bar completes. If power LED light turns amber and blinking, power cycle the router to complete the upgrade.
  2. If the upgrade progress bar on web GUI doesn’t display correctly during firmware upgrade, you can still check the status using Power LED. The Power LED should be blinking (amber) during firmware upgrade.  After firmware upgrade is done and boots up the system, it changes to steady amber color.
    Please DO NOT power off or reboot the device during firmware upgrade, otherwise, it  may result to a corrupt firmware and cause the device not to work.

Message 2 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Bye Bye link

Message 3 of 15
shopkins1994
Luminary

Bummer. I went there and sure enough it was gone. =(

Message 4 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 5 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

No official firmware as of this moment that will support Arlo. It is recommended to use a base station in using your Arlo cameras. 

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 6 of 15
FLJon
Luminary

Can you throw that link up there again?  i thought 1.0.5 had the support, not 1.0.6, but i could be wrong.

Message 7 of 15
koarl
Luminary

I bought the R7000 because of Arlo support. I now have firmware version V1.0.6.54_1.2.3 running. Arlo works. But what about the security updates? Arlo version: 1.7.0.1_4764 is running here. This version is deprecated. Unfortunately, there are two serious security holes: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30731 When can you expect a current Arlo version for the R7000 to come out? Because of the security problems I have to disable Arlo otherwise.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi koarl,

The vulnerability only covers the Arlo Wire Free base station. The wire free cameras and the R7000 are not affected.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 9 of 15
koarl
Luminary

Thanks for the answer. I have only one question. If the Arlo support for the R7000 continues or not. Because otherwise I buy myself an Arlo base station. Please answer me. Cat Very Happy

Message 10 of 15
tscollins
Luminary

Please republish a working link for this firmware upgrade. Both links are returning a 404 error. Thank you.

Message 11 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi Koarl,

We recommend to use the Arlo base station for now since no information that the R7000 will still support Arlo.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 12 of 15
Einrich
Luminary

I bought the ARLO system after my NightHawk told me it would support it - And then, you disconnect it.

Can Netgear do a commercial gesture and send me an EU Compatible Arlo Base then? Why should it be me that pays for something after the company made a commercial promotion and changed its mind?

Message 13 of 15
tivoboy
Luminary

yeah, it's pretty random to drop support like that.  I had moved away from the base station as I used an R7000, but then I did the upgrade to fix the gaping security hole in that unit, and BAM all my arlo cameras won't work.  total PIA

Message 14 of 15
tricountytrail
Luminary

Any update on this! I changed the baterries in my camara and lost connectivity. router dosen't even show up anymore.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E